U.S. Department of State
Released by the Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor,
Appendix D to Country Report on Human Rights Practices for 1998
February 26, 1998
International Human Rights Conventions
1) Convention to Suppress the Slave Trade and Slavery of September 25,1926,
as amended by the Protocol of December 7, 1953.
2) Convention Concerning Forced Labor of June 28, 1930 (ILO Convention
3) Convention Concerning Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right
to Organize of July 9, 1948 (ILO Convention 87).
4) Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide of
December 9, 1948.
5) Convention Concerning the Application of the Principles of the Right to
Organize and Bargan Collectively of July 1, 1949 (ILO Convention
6) Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War of
August 12, 1949.
7) Geneva Convention Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time
of War of August 12, 1949.
8) Convention for the Suppression of the Traffic in Persons and of the
Exploitation of the Prostitution of Others of March 21, 1950.
9) European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental
Freedoms of November 4, 1950.
10) Convention on the Political Rights of Women of March 31,
11) Supplementary Convention on the Abolition of Slavery, the Slave Trade,
and Institutions and Practices Similar to Slavery of September 7,
12) Convention Concerning the Abolition of Forced Labor of June 25, 1957
(ILO Convention 105).
13) International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial
Discrimination of December 21, 1965.
14) International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights of December 16,
15) International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights of
December 16, 1966.
16) Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees of July 28,
17) Protocol Relating to the Status Of Refugees of January 31,
18) American Convention on Human Rights of November 22, 1969.
19) Convention Concerning Minimum Age for Admission to Employment of June
26, 1973 (ILO Convention 138).
20) Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of August 12, 1949, and
Relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts
(Protocol I), of June 8, 1977.
21) Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of August 12, 1949, and
Relating to the Protection of Victims of Non-International Armed Conflicts
(Protocol II), of June 8, 1977.
22) Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against
Women of December 18, 1979.
23) Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading
Treatment or Punishment of December 10, 1984.
24) Convention on the Rights of the Child of November 20, 1989.