What's New on HR-Net?
UPDATE: 27 January 2000
- HR-NET OUT OF REACH
On Sunday, January 23, 2000, our domain name HRI.ORG was
temporary hijacked by an unnamed Turkish individual who exploited
the domain name registrar Network Solution's
poorly implemented systems and procedures. The hijacker pointed
HRI.ORG to his own nameservers at DENIZONLINE.NET, thus redirecting
traffic for HRI.ORG to his server. The effects of his actions were
amplified by the fact that the registrar's staff was out of reach during
the weekend and later because of the weather related office closing
of Network Solutions.
We alerted DIALTONEINTERNET.COM (the ISP that
provides connectivity and the actual server to DENIZONLINE.NET) on
Sunday morning, however they chose not to take any type of action until
Monday (shutting off the fraudulent nameserver) and not to take
any meaningful action until Tuesday afternoon (shutting down
DENIZONLINE.NET completely). The delayed response facilited the
propagation of the false IP addresses for HRI.ORG through the
Internet on Monday morning and caused a lot of email to bounce or
being delivered to the perpetrator's mailbox. Likewise, our website
appeared to be replaced by an irrelevant page on a geocities server.
Thanks to the dilligent efforts of the technical support staff of
our ISP (BBNPLANET.COM), the correct nameserver addresses have been
reinstated in the root servers and everybody should be able to
reach our site by Thursday morning.
UPDATE: 27 September 1999
- BBC GREEK SECTION
- News from the Greek Section of the British Broadcasting Corporation is mirrored and archived on HR-Net. These brief bulletins are updated several times on every weekday.
UPDATE: 27 April 1999
- NEW ENGLAND HELLENIC MEDICAL AND DENTAL SOCIETY
- The New England Hellenic Medical and Dental Society (NEHMDS) created a home page hosted by HR-Net with information on upcoming events and scholarships, membership application and related links.
UPDATE: 24 April 1999
- CYPRUS BROADCASTING CORPORATION
- News from the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation are now available in Greek (ELOT928 and ASCII) and in English on HR-Net on a daily basis.
UPDATE: 27 February 1999
- INTERNATIONAL NARCOTICS CONTROL STRATEGY REPORT for 1998
- The USA Department of State "International Narcotics Control Strategy Report" for 1998, which was released on February 26, 1999, is now available at: www.hri.org/docs/USSD-INCSR/1998/
- U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT 1998 HUMAN RIGHTS REPORT
- The 1998 U.S. State Department Human Rights Report, released February 26, 1999. Selected reports on the Balkan countries including Greece, Cyprus and Turkey. It available at: www.hri.org/docs/USSD-Rights/1998/
UPDATE: 26 February 1999
- HELLENIC RADIO NEWS (ERA)
- Hellenic Radio (ERA) News are made available on-line both in Greek [in "ASCII" as well] and in English on HR-Net. Daily bulletins are archived among numerous other Greek news sources and distributed to interested readers via the HR-Net Personal NewsPaper (PNP).
Recent Interesting Nodes Additions
For information about the project, the Group, or the Hellenic Resources
Institute, you can contact us via any of the following:
Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
P.O. Box 380912
Cambridge, MA 02238, U.S.A.
Fax: +1 (617) 725-3445
email: Feedback form
Feedback, comments and requests are welcome.