Browse through our Interesting Nodes on Economics A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Sunday, 7 June 2020
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus Mail: News Articles in English, 02-12-08

Cyprus Mail: News Articles in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Cyprus Mail at <http://www.cyprus-mail.com/>


Sunday, December 8, 2002

<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6, 0,0,0" WIDTH="215" HEIGHT="70" id="e_savings" ALIGN=""> <EMBED src="esavings.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="215" HEIGHT="70" NAME="esavings" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

CONTENTS

  • [01] BP strikers go back to work but Exxon-Mobil stay out
  • [02] Exhumations halted after refusal to provide samples
  • [03] Briton found dead outside apartment
  • [04] Ancient Cypriot coins seized in Italy

  • [01] BP strikers go back to work but Exxon-Mobil stay out

    By Alex Mita

    B.P. EMPLOYEES yesterday agreed to call off an indefinite strike after an agreement was reached on renewal of a collective agreement between unions and the company.

    The dispute arose during negotiations when demands for a rise in pensions and redundancy pay were denied.

    A proposal issued by the Labour Ministry's mediation service clarifying the arrangements for pension increases caused outrage among the employees who staged 24- and 48-hour strikes last week.

    But the talks that took yesterday did not satisfy Exxon-Mobil employees who were also on strike and who vowed to stay out indefinitely until all their demands are met.

    A statement from BP said the strike has been called off and petrol stations on the island and at airports and ports will be back in business from tomorrow.

    Speaking to the Sunday Mail, PEO union spokesman Athos Eleftheriou said BP had agreed to the employees' demands.

    “BP has agreed to pay 100 per cent of Cost of Living Allowance,” he said.

    “Their employees have agreed to the terms and the strike has been called off.”

    On Friday, BP Chairman George Petrou said that if the strike continued, petrol stations on the island would be left without fuel from early next week, leading to speculation that the same would apply for Esso and Mobil petrol stations, run by Exxon-Mobil, if an agreement is not reached by tomorrow.

    Exxon-Mobil spokesmen were yesterday unavailable for comment.

    Copyright Cyprus Mail 2002

    <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6, 0,0,0" WIDTH="215" HEIGHT="70" id="e_savings" ALIGN="">

    <EMBED src="esavings.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="215" HEIGHT="70" NAME="esavings" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

    [02] Exhumations halted after refusal to provide samples

    EXHUMATIONS to identify the remains of 14 Turkish Cypriots killed during clashes with the National Guard at Alaminos village in 1974 were stopped yesterday after a refusal by the Turkish Cypriot side to allow the victims' relatives to provide blood samples and information on their loved ones.

    According to the Larnaca Press the government yesterday told a Turkish Cypriot representative in the investigative committee about the discovery of the remains and asked that blood samples be taken from the victims' relatives in order to identify the remains through DNA testing.

    However, the Turkish Cypriot side refused to provide the Physicians for Human Rights organisation with the samples, leaving scientists with no other option but to halt the investigation because of the lack of evidence.

    The remains were covered and investigations are expected to resume in February, if the samples can be collected from the relatives then.

    Copyright Cyprus Mail 2002

    <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6, 0,0,0" WIDTH="215" HEIGHT="70" id="e_savings" ALIGN="">

    <EMBED src="esavings.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="215" HEIGHT="70" NAME="esavings" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

    [03] Briton found dead outside apartment

    POLICE yesterday released the name of a 69-year-old British man who was found dead outside a block of apartments in Paphos on Friday morning.

    According to a police bulletin, Peter Hall Broadbent was found lying half naked in a pool of blood outside the Paradise Gardens apartments. A bottle of whisky was found next to the body.

    After an on-the-scene forensic examination, State Pathologist Eleni Antoniou and Forensic Pathologist Marios Matsakis, ruled out any possibility of foul play.

    Broadbent is thought to have been drinking when he lost his balance and fell from the balcony of his apartment.

    Copyright Cyprus Mail 2002

    <OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6, 0,0,0" WIDTH="215" HEIGHT="70" id="e_savings" ALIGN="">

    <EMBED src="esavings.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="215" HEIGHT="70" NAME="esavings" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

    [04] Ancient Cypriot coins seized in Italy

    POLICE in Italy seized around 10,000 ancient coins, among them 150 from Cyprus, that were destined for sale on the Internet.

    The Italian Embassy in Nicosia said the Italian authorities launched an investigation near San Marino after reports from Interpol in Rome that a company based there was selling coins over the Internet.

    A police search at a house close to the border with San Marino netted around 10,000 coins as well as other archaeological finds.

    Further investigation into the suspect company's accounts uncovered a criminal organisation that had made millions of euros from selling stolen antiquities in Italy and abroad, the embassy said.

    Copyright Cyprus Mail 2002


    Cyprus Mail: News Articles in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright © 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    cmnews2html v1.00 run on Sunday, 8 December 2002 - 14:01:30 UTC