Visit the Athens News Agency (ANA) Archive A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Saturday, 6 June 2020
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus News Agency: News in English (AM), 01-08-04

Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Cyprus News Agency at <http://www.cyna.org.cy>


CONTENTS

  • [01] House President - Famagusta - Anti-occupation event
  • [02] Foreign Minister - Famagusta - Anti-occupational event

  • 1200:CYPPRESS:01

    [01] House President - Famagusta - Anti-occupation event

    EMBARGOED TILL 20.45 (18.45 GMT) Nicosia, Aug 4 (CNA) -- The Greek Cypriot side has the will to enter into substantive and constructive UN-led talks aimed at finding a solution to the Cyprus problem, based on the relevant UN resolutions, House President Demetris Christofias said today, adding it is very likely that UN Secretary General Kofi Annan will call for the resumption of the talks in September 2001.

    Addressing an anti-occupation event at Dherynia near the ceasefire line organised by the Municipal Council of Famagusta (Ammochostos), a town occupied since 1974 when Turkish troops invaded the island, Christofias said it is not yet clear whether the Turkish Cypriot will return to the negotiations, pointing out that Turkish intransigence is reaching its climax.

    UN aim at bringing the Greek and Turkish Cypriot sides back to negotiations which Denktash abandoned last year after five rounds of UN-led proximity talks.

    Denktash, backed by Ankara, declared the talks dead and demanded recognition of his self-styled regime in the Turkish-occupied part of Cyprus before he returns to the dialogue.

    Referring to the occupation of Famagusta, Christofias said that the return of the town to its legal inhabitants would prove that Ankara has changed its position on Cyprus adding however that unfortunately "there are no such indications."

    The town of Famagusta fell into the hands of the advancing Turkish army in mid- August 1974, during the second phase of the Turkish invasion launched on July 20. It has remained uninhabited since then and its return to UN administration has often been discussed in attempts to find a peaceful settlement of the Cyprus question.

    The UN Security Council holds Turkey responsible for the maintenance of the current status quo in the town and considers any attempts to settle Famagusta by people other than its inhabitants "inadmissible".

    The town of about 60,000 inhabitans, in July 1974, was a thriving holiday resort that attracted many tourists to Cyprus.

    Speaking at the event, Famagusta Mayor Andreas Pouyiouros called for a just and viable solution to the Cyprus problem, based on the principles of the UN Charter, the relevant UN decisions and resolutions and the full restoration of human rights for all Cypriots.

    A delegation of the Municipal Council of Famagusta handed a petition over to a Representative of the United Nations Peace-keeping force in Cyprus (UNFICYP), calling for the withdrawal of Turkish troops and the restoration of human rights in Cyprus.

    Cyprus is divided since Turkish troops invaded and occupied 37 percent of its territory in 1974, forcibly uprooting some 200,000 Greek Cypriots, making one third of the island's population, from their homes and properties. Thousands of Greek Cypriots were killed and hundreds were taken prisoners of war or have been missing since then. CNA/RM/NMA/2001

    ENDS, CYPRUS NEWS AGENCY
    1435:CYPPRESS:02

    [02] Foreign Minister - Famagusta - Anti-occupational event

    EMBARGOED TILL 20:45 (18:45 GMT)

    Nicosia, Aug 4 (CNA) -- Cyprus Foreign Minister Ioannis Kasoulides said today that the government "has all the good will to participate in the UN- led proximity talks on the Cyprus problem and be as always flexible and constructive", but noted that the Greek Cypriot side will never accept a solution "outside the parametres set out by UN resolutions, the Council of Europe Convention on Human Rights and the acquis communautaire".

    Addressing an anti-occupational event, at Dherynia near the ceasefire line, organised by the Municipal Council of Famagusta (Ammochostos), a town occupied by Turkish troops, Kasoulides said "the international community and especially the European Union has made it clear that Denktash's unacceptable demands for recognition of his self-styled regime will not be met".

    The town of Famagusta fell into the hands of the advancing Turkish army in mid-August 1974, during the second phase of the Turkish invasion launched on July 20. It has remained uninhabited since then and its return to UN administration has often been discussed in attempts to find a peaceful settlement of the Cyprus question.

    The UN Security Council holds Turkey responsible for the maintenance of the current status quo in the town and considers any attempts to settle Famagusta by people other than its inhabitants "inadmissible".

    He also said that, "following a nine-month absence from the UN sponsored talks, Denktash has now received orders from Ankara to return to the negotiations".

    UN aim at bringing the Greek and Turkish Cypriot sides back to negotiations which Denktash abandoned last year after five rounds of UN-led proximity talks.

    Denktash, backed by Ankara, declared the talks dead and demanded recognition of his self-styled regime in the Turkish-occupied part of Cyprus before he returns to the dialogue.

    Concluding, Kasoulides noted that a new "prospect of true peace, stability and security should be created, based on international law so that all Cypriots to enjoy the benefits of Cyprus' future accession to the EU".

    Cyprus is divided since Turkish troops invaded and occupied 37 percent of its territory in 1974, forcibly uprooting some 200,000 Greek Cypriots, making one third of the island's population, from their homes and properties. Thousands of Greek Cypriots were killed and hundreds were taken prisoners of war or have been missing since then. CNA/RM/NMA/2001

    ENDS, CYPRUS NEWS AGENCY
    CNA ENDS
    Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    cna2html v2.01 run on Saturday, 4 August 2001 - 12:05:03 UTC