|Wednesday, 29 January 2020|
Cyprus PIO: News Update in English, 00-06-02
Cyprus Press and Information Office: News Updates in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>
Friday, 2 June 2000
 UN Secretary-General recommends extension of UNFICYP mandateIn his report to the UN Security Council, the Secretary General of the United Nations Kofi Annan, has recommended the extension of the UN Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) for a further period of six months, until 15 December 2000.
The report, which covers the period from November 30th 1999 to 31st May 2000, notes two positive developments: The increase in contacts between Greek and Turkish Cypriots and the decision by the illegal authorities in the areas of Cyprus occupied by Turkey since 1974 to lift unnecessarily onerous measures affecting visits to the Greek Cypriots and Maronites living there.
The UN Chief describes the increase in contacts as "an important factor in improving the political climate on the island".
Referring to his mission of good offices, Mr. Annan notes that President Glafcos Clerides and Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash "agreed to start proximity talks in New York on 3 December 1999 in order to prepare the ground for meaningful negotiations leading to a comprehensive settlement. The first round of talks, which lasted until 14 December 1999, was followed by a second round in Geneva, from 31 January to 8 February 2000. In the course of a trip to the island last March, my Special Adviser on Cyprus, Alvaro de Soto, met separately with the two leaders. He also paid a visit to Ankara and Athens in connection with the proximity talks. A third round, scheduled for 23 May in New York, was put off because of Mr. Chlorides/health. Both leaders have accepted my invitation to meet again in Geneva starting on 5 July."
Referring to the Committee on Missing Persons (CMP) in Cyprus, the UN Chief says that after an interruption of more than three years it held a session in January resuming its investigative work.
However, he says before appointing a third-member, after Jean Pierre Ritter passed away, "it would be important to ensure that the obstacles that have impeded the investigative work of the CMP in Cyprus had been removed and that both sides had shown a genuine commitment to reaching a consensus for the fulfilment of the five modalities contained in the letter of the Secretary General of 4 December 1996."
 Cyprus will contribute to the protection of maritime environment in the MediterraneanMinister of Commerce, Industry and Tourism Mr. Nicos Rolandis stressed Cyprus/ eagerness to contribute to efforts for the protection of maritime environment in the Mediterranean, noting that the existing legislative framework sets out stringent standards for seawater quality and for activities undertaken in the coastal region, including energy imports and transformation of energy.
In an intervention at the Ministerial Conference held yesterday in Athens, on "the Impact of Energy Projects in the Mediterranean and Black Sea", Mr. Rolandis noted that Cyprus has introduced a set of legal provisions and measures in order to harmonise its legislation with the acquis communautaire in Merchant Shipping and has adopted international Maritime Regulations, in particular regulations of the IMO.
Mr. Rolandis said that Cyprus has given a timely response to the requests of the European Commission, noting that as a result, Cyprus/ policy meets European goals.
Moreover he said the total capacity of the European fleet would increase by 38 percent with the contribution of Cyprus.
He also referred to an action plan formulated by the government for the harmonisation of Cyprus/ energy sector with the acquis communautaire, which as he said, calls for additional infrastructure to be constructed in order to meet European Union directives regarding security of oil stocks and specifications of petroleum products.
 EU and the US pledge to work together towards a comprehensive Cyprus settlement consistent with UN resolutionsIn a statement issued last Wednesday after the conclusion of the EU - USA Summit held in Queluz, Portugal, EU and US leaders stress "The EU and U.S. welcomed the second session of Cyprus proximity talks, which took place in Geneva from 31 January to 8 February.
We have fully supported, including through our special envoys, the third round of talks, scheduled to resume on 5 July in Geneva."
Moreover it says that the EU and the US will continue to work closely together, including through their special envoys, to support the Cyprus proximity talks under the auspices of the Secretary General of the United Nations. "We will support efforts to facilitate a comprehensive settlement consistent with relevant UN Security Council Resolutions", it concludes.
From the Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office (PIO) Server at http://www.pio.gov.cy/