Read the UN Resolutions on The Cyprus Problem A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Sunday, 17 January 2021
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Turkish Cypriot Press and Other Media (Cyprus PIO Review) 96-06-17.

From: Panayiotis Zaphiris <pzaphiri@glue.umd.edu>

Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Directory

TURKISH CYPRIOT PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA

No. 106/96 15-16-17/6/96


CONTENTS

[A] NEWS ITEMS

  • [01] Pseudostate declares itself independent of the free areas as regards power supply.

  • [02] Cash lack threatens monument.

  • [03] Turkish Cypriots not permitted by pseudostate to attend reception on Queen's birthday.

  • [04] Inmates in occupied Nicosia prison riot.

  • [05] Turkish State Minister cancels visit to the occupied area.

  • [06] Cases of suicide or suicide attempts increasing.

  • [07] British couple victims of robbery in the occupied area.


  • [A] NEWS ITEMS

    [01] Pseudostate declares itself independent of the free areas as regards power supply

    According to the Turkish Cypriot newspaper CYPRUS TODAY (15/6/96), nearly three months of production tests at the "Teknecik" power plant have now put the "TRNC" in the self-generation league.

    The so-called electricity authority has also taken over the station's Unit One provisionally from the manufacturing company.

    This move, towards permanent power supply independence, had been delayed because of an explosion at the plant in August 1994.

    Repairs were carried out on the unit, which has output capacity of 60 MW, and since March intensive tests have taken place.

    Officials of the so-called electricity authority said that since then all supplies have been independent of the free areas of the Republic.

    "Deputy Director" Ulku Artuner said there should be no future problems provided sufficient fuel was supplied.

    [02] Cash lack threatens monument

    According to CYPRUS TODAY (15/6/96), the looming collapse of one of occupied Nicosia's most historic buildings has high-lighted the financial crippling of the "TRNC's" so-called Department of Ancient Monuments and Museums.

    Already hit by lack of personnel, the section is at a total loss to find an estimated k400,000 sterling to save the 14th Century Bedesten - a church (St. Nicholas of the English) originally associated with the cult of St. Thomas a Becket, revered in Europe during the Middle Ages.

    The department is only able to take makeshift measures to prevent and delay the eventual collapse of the building which became a Greek Orthodox cathedral during Venetian times. And now, lured by the decaying structure, city residents are even creating a rubbish dump there.

    [03] Turkish Cypriots not permitted by pseudostate to attend reception on Queen's birthday

    According to CYPRUS TODAY (15/6/96) a reception at the British High Commission in honour of the Queen's birthday has for a second year running become the centre of controversy after invited Turkish Cypriots were turned away at the "eleventh hour" from the long-awaited annual celebration in the free areas.

    Turkish Cypriots among the 1996 guests were told by "TRNC officials" on Wednesday they could not cross to the free areas.

    The so-called Foreign Ministry had withdrawn their names from a transit "clearance list" because it was feared "they would be exploited by Greek Cypriots as people from the occupied North" while mixing with "usurpers of power" who "did not respect the equality of both sides".

    Some Turkish Cypriot guests felt insulted by a delay of about six hours - between "TRNC officials" making their position known and the British "hosts" relaying the message - before they learned at the Ledra Palace checkpoint that their presence at the party, via an especially-arranged coach, would not be possible.

    The High Commission, describing the "TRNC's" move as "unprecedented", said the "presumably intentional" eleventh-hour withdrawal of all Turkish Cypriot names "from a list of 150 invited "well in advance" had been announced at about mid-day by a "low level source" at the so-called Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Defence.

    An "official" for the "Foreign Affairs and Defence Ministry" claimed that "their presence (at the British High Commission) would be reflected as being subjects of the so-called republic".

    [04] Inmates in occupied Nicosia prison riot

    According to KIBRIS (17.6.96) inmates at the Central Prison in occupied Nicosia rioted last night following a decision by the prison administration to desipline an inmate who had refused to obey the orders of the prison authorities.

    The riot started at 1700 hours yesterday and lasted one and a half hours during which seven people were injured.

    The riot was put out through joint action by prison guards, the so-called police and special forces.

    During the riot inmates also fought among theselves. Material damage was caused in the cells.

    KIBRIS reports that there are 119 inmates in the prison. (M.Y.)

    [05] Turkish State Minister cancels visit to the occupied area

    According to KIBRIS (15.6.96) Turkey's state minister Ali Talip Ozdemir, who was to arrive at the occupied area at the head of a large delegation, has cancelled his trip due to a change in programme.

    KIBRIS reports that the delegation which was to accompany Ozdemir has already arrived in the occupied area. (M.Y.)

    [06] Cases of suicide or suicide attempts increasing

    According to KIBRIS (16.6.96) increased social and economic problems in the occupied are forcing the people to resort to desperate actions including suicide.

    In the last three days three people, two of them mainland Turks, committed suicide and three others made an attempted suicide. (M.Y.)

    [07] British couple victims of robbery in the occupied area

    According to KIBRIS (17.6.96) a couple of British tourists staying in occupied Lapithos village were robbed last night by a man armed with a knife.

    The culprit entered the couple's home and threatened the husband with the knife to hand him the foreign currency they were holding.

    The thief, who was well dressed and spoke broken English, managed to run away with 38 Cyprus pounds. (M.Y.)

    Back to Top
    Copyright © 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute
    cypio2html v1.00 run on Tuesday, 18 June 1996 - 18:02:09