|Thursday, 3 December 2020|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot Press and Other Media, 00-10-18
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>
TURKISH CYPRIOT PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA
No. 200/00 -- 18.10.00
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 Some 5,000 stage demo against package Anatolia Agency (10:22 hours, 17.10.00) reports that a demonstration wasstaged in the occupied part of Nicosia yesterday to protest the stability package, which the pseudo-government envisages to implement in order to surmount the economic crisis in the occupied area.
The speeches delivered during the demonstration, which took place at Inonu Square with the participation of approximately 5,000 persons, levelled harsh criticisms against the ``government'', calling for its resignation.
Stating that the economic package will pave the path to take away from the workers the rights gained after years of work, the speeches charged that the economic package is unacceptable.
The economic stability package was described as ``the package of destruction and imposition'' and it was said that the ``government'' accepted the package ``for the sake of the chair''.
Slogans against Rauf Denktash were chanted at the demonstration while Turkey was criticized.
Moreover, all the local papers report about the protest rally, organized by a number of Turkish Cypriot NGO/s and five major trade unions, together with the active support of political parties mainly from the opposition.
Protestors carried banners such as: ``This country is ours, we will govern it'', ``Government resign'', ``Denktash resign'', ``No to Ankara/s money, its package and its servants'', ``We are not Robots'', ``We will be both the producer and the ruler'', ``Long Live the International Solidarity'', ``End to divided families, No to emigration'', ``No to Forced Destruction Package'', ``We want to produce, not to consume'', ``The world belongs to all of us, and Cyprus is ours'', ``The black package is for you, Cyprus is for us'', ``No to divided Cyprus and no to integration''.
During the rally, in the name of the 41 organizations and associations a statement was distributed to the people. It read:
`` - The basis of the enormous problems prevailing in north Cyprus is political.
- The Turkish Cypriots governing their own country is being precluded.
- Institutions such as the Central Bank, the Cyprus Turkish Airlines and the Cyprus Turkish Petroleum are not under our control.
- All the investments are carried out by the Turkish Embassy in Nicosia.
- Political decisions are taken at the Coordination Council.
- In short, the Turkish Cypriots do not rule their country.
- The local quislings are trying to implement the Economic Package, forced by the bureaucrats from the Republic of Turkey which is aimed at destroying the Turkish Cypriots economically, socially and culturally.
Subtitle: The political message of this package is:
- Annexation of north Cyprus to the Republic of Turkey.
- Complete annihilation of the Turkish Cypriot existence on this island. - Emigration.
- The Turkish Cypriot will not accept this annihilation.
- We have the knowledge, qualifications and the power to govern our country.
- We will all together wage the struggle for independence, democracy and peace in Cyprus, and we will live in our country freely and with honour.
- We will lend support to all kinds of activities organized within this framework, and we will be on our people/s side in its struggle for freedom and independence''.
 Yilmaz says Turkey must more actively prevent US approval of Armenian billAccording to TRT 1 Television (17:00 hours, 17.10.00), Turkish deputy prime minister and Motherland Party leader Mesut Yilmaz has said that the Turkish Government and Assembly must make more active efforts to prevent the approval of the Armenian genocide bill by the US House of Representatives.
``Turkey must be more active in connection with the Armenian bill. Both the government and the Assembly must be more active. We are saying that the US Administration is doing all it can in this regard. Our colleagues who went to the United States are saying the same thing. We are also saying the same thing. If our government and Assembly announce the specific problems that will arise in Turkish-US relations - taking into consideration the observations I made last week too - if the bill is adopted, we will strengthen the position of the US Administration. We will thus enable the US Administration to exert more concrete pressure on Congress. The situation at the moment is very appropriate for us to do that,'' he said.
Meanwhile, the ANAP parliamentary group decided to try to make the Assembly debate issues such as the Armenian genocide and Cyprus more intensively.
From the Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office (PIO) Server at http://www.pio.gov.cy/