|Thursday, 21 October 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 03-03-28
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No. 59/03 28.03.03
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 The so-called Assembly postponed its extraordinary session because Mr Denktas is not feeling wellIllegal Bayrak Television (27/03/03) broadcast that tomorrow's (Friday 28/03/03) extraordinary session of the Turkish Cypriot "Republican Assembly" has been postponed until Tuesday, 8 April, because Mr Rauf Denktas is not feeling well. The Turkish Cypriot leader would have informed the "Republican Assembly" on the latest developments in the Cyprus problem. A written statement by the "Republican Assembly Chairmanship Council" said that the meeting was postponed because Mr Denktas is not feeling well.
The "General Assembly" will convene on Tuesday, 1 April. Earlier, it postponed its normal agenda because of the extraordinary session that would have been held tomorrow.
 The Cyprus problem came under the political criteria in the EU-Turkey Accession Partnership AgreementAnkara Anatolia news agency (27/03/03) reported from Ankara that Turkey thinks that the Accession Partnership Accord, which evaluated Turkish-European Union (EU) relations and the developments in relations and reflected the expectations from Ankara, does not include factors which make Turkey uneasy.
Diplomatic sources said on Thursday that Ankara did not see any factors in the Accession Partnership Accord, which would make Turkey uneasy, which would be a surprise for Turkey and which could lead to reactions by Turkey, at the moment.
The sources noted that however, the document could be changed during the period till it was presented to the EU General Affairs Committee for approval in April.
Ankara would continue contacts both with the Committee and with the EU members to prevent such changes, the sources stated.
The sources pointed out that there were no short or medium term political criteria in the document and that expectations from Turkey were written under the chapter ``initiatives to be made till 2004.``
``Attention and careful attitude`` continued during the writing stage of the report as in the first document, the sources said.
The sources noted that within that framework, the EU refrained from expressions which could make Turkey uneasy.
Expectations from Turkey were written in a ``detailed and specific way,`` the sources emphasized.
The sources said that there were more references to the European Convention on Human Rights when compared with the first document and thus, progress that Turkey had to record was put in a certain perspective.
Pointing out that there were no new criteria in the report, the sources said that the objectives, which had earlier been achieved like the lifting of the emergency rule, review of the Constitution and death sentence were not included in the new document.
The sources stated that the Cyprus problem and Turkish-Greek relations were written under the chapter of political criteria in the new document.
However, careful expressions were used this time, the sources said. They stated that the expressions did not include anything which could cause reactions of Turkey. As a result, the sources said, Turkey hoped that the Accession Partnership Accord would be passed in its current shape. The sources pointed out that they expected the document not to include expressions which would cause problem for Turkey, but which would further improve relations between Turkey and the EU.
The Accession Partnership Accord, which has been approved by the European Commission, will be presented for approval of the EU General Affairs Committee in Luxembourg on April 14. The document will be officially presented to Turkey during the Turkey-EU Association Council, which will be held in the level of foreign ministers the same day.
 The illegal embassy of Turkey in occupied Cyprus prepared letters for foreign students to promote the puppet regime and propagate against the Annan planUnder the title "what a sovereignty is this!", Yeni Duzen newspaper (28/03/03) publishes the photocopies of specimen letters given to the foreign students studying in the illegal universities of the occupied areas by the so-called Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Defence in November 2002 to forward to politicians and mass media of their countries.
The paper publishes the letter sent by the so-called Under-Secretary of the illegal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Defence, Mr Aytug Plumer, to the foreign students of "East Mediterranean University". "Please find attached, herewith, copies of two sample letters, which could be sent to newspapers and to the high officials including Foreign Minister and Head of State, in your country. You may send those letters in English or you may translate it in your mother tongue", writes Mr Plumer in his letter.
The paper also publishes the letters attached to Mr Plumer's letter on top of which printed are the date, the sender "Turkish Republic Embassy Nicosia", with the telephone and telefax numbers.
"Out of negligence" stresses Yeni Duzen, "it was disclosed that the letters attached to Mr Plumber's letter were prepared by the "Turkish Embassy".
The paper also writes that in the sample letters prepared by the Turkish Embassy the students were advised to propagate against the Annan peace plan and in favour of the puppet regime in occupied Cyprus.
 The US ambassador to Nicosia criticizes the behaviour of the puppet regime at EliaHALKIN SESI (28.03.03) reports that Michael Klosson, ambassador of the United States to Nicosia has said that he felt uncomfortable when he had been informed about the behaviour of the puppet regime in occupied Elia village and the arrest of six Turkish Cypriots, supporters of reaching a solution to the Cyprus problem and the accession of the island to the EU.
The paper writes that talking recently after the opening ceremony of the conference room of the Turkish Cypriot Medical Union, Mr Klosson noted that his country strongly supported the right of free expression of ideas and gatherings aiming at promoting peace. Mr Klosson reminded that the people arrested at Elia village have been trying to organize a plebiscite in favour of the Annan plan and the EU and added that it was difficult for him to understand why such oppressive measures had been applied against a peaceful gathering and the freedom of expression.
 The so-called Minister of Foreign Affairs of the puppet regime stresses that the Annan peace plan will not be on the table againIllegal Bayrak Television (27/03/03) broadcast that the so-called Foreign and Defence Minister Mr Tahsin Ertugruloglu yesterday made the following statement:
"I was surprised to read in the press the statement made by US Ambassador to South Cyprus M. Klosson. We have been greatly disappointed by the esteemed ambassador's behavior, which conflicts with his mission and diplomatic traditions. Apart from everything else, it is interference in the 'TRNC' internal affairs. His behaviour can neither be accepted nor explained. Adopting an approach that supports those who describe the initiative made for a plebiscite in total disregard of the 'TRNC' and its constitution as freedom of thought and making an effort to turn democracy into anarchy in our country is the last thing that can be expected from an ambassador. As the ambassador of a superpower, Mr. Klosson should not have resorted to petty intrigues.
Meanwhile, I want to say that Mr. Klosson's statement that he will make an effort to see to it that the Annan plan is not forgotten created strong reaction. His remarks, which went too far, were disrespectful to the Turkish Cypriot people and the 'TRNC', which the Turkish Cypriots established through their free will. Mr. Klosson is well-aware that the Annan plan is not on the table anymore. He is also well-aware that it will not be on the agenda again. However, he deems it his duty to stir our people towards wrong and unrealistic expectations. Who has encouraged him to do so? Or, is it that the esteemed ambassador is giving guidance to various circles? Using their right to self-determination, the Turkish Cypriot people displayed their free will and put into effect their constitution with a crushing majority vote on 15 November 1983. The Turkish Cypriots are now preparing to mark the 20th anniversary of their state.
I advise the esteemed ambassador to consider these realities and avoid making absurd statements. Meanwhile, I want to ask the esteemed ambassador to disclose what he thinks about the arrest of clergymen and people who were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize during the anti-war demonstrations near the White House."
 Talat says that the Turkish Cypriots could not tolerate Rauf Denktas any moreYENI DUZEN (28.03.03) reports that Mehmet Ali Talat, leader of the Republican Turkish Party (RTP), has said that the Turkish Cypriots could no longer tolerate the behaviour of the puppet regime and the non-solution policy of the Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktas.
Mr Talat issued a written statement yesterday replying to the Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktas who had said that "if in northern Cyprus there is something bad, this is extreme tolerance and use of the rights without limits". Mr Talat noted, inter alia, the following in his statement: ".Yes, there is extreme tolerance and use of rights without limits. However, this extreme tolerance is the tolerance that the Turkish Cypriots have been showing to you for 40 years. .Those who desire to 'patch' the Turkish Cypriots to the Republic of Cyprus are those who reject every opportunity for solution presented to them until today. .".
 Panic caused in occupied Kyrenia because of yellowish powder similar to anthraxHALKIN SESI (28.03.03) reports that panic was caused yesterday at Asaltur Tourist Agency in occupied Kyrenia, when they received a letter in which they found yellowish powder.
When Salih Yildizsaray, one of the owners of the agency, opened the envelope found a second envelop in it with the powder and informed the so-called "police", "civilian defense" and "fire department". The workers at the agency and a client who had been at the office during the incident were taken to the hospital, whereas the agency had been cleaned with water and disinfectant and closed for hours.
This is the second similar incident within the last few days in the occupied areas, as an envelope with yellowish powder had been also sent to the so-called "prime minister", Dervis Eroglu.
 A new plebiscite will be held today in occupied Kyrenia-fears for the "police" reactionsThe Turkish Cypriot papers write today (28/03/03) about the new plebiscite that will be held this evening in occupied Kyrenia and stress that the pseudopolice will react in the same manner as in the incident at the occupied Elia village.
Under the title " The ballot box at Kyrenia today" KIBRIS reports that following the symbolic plebiscite at occupied Elia village, a new plebiscite will be held today at 19:00 in front of the "municipality" of occupied Kyrenia. As the paper reports, the plebiscite will register the determination of the Turkish Cypriots for solution and EU accession. The paper writes that the Platform "This country is ours", and other civilian organizations, which organize the plebiscite, announced that a fire of peace will be lit and symbolic black ballot boxes will be placed in the area. KIBRIS also stresses that the so-called police of the pseudostate will react in the same manner as in the incident at the occupied Elia village.
AFRIKA under the title "Kyrenia's turn" writes that the civilian organizations that organize tonight's event called on the Turkish Cypriots to gather at 18:30 in front of the "municipality" of occupied Kyrenia. AFRIKA stresses that according to some information that reached the paper, the pseudopolice is ready to react in an even harder manner at Kyrenia than at the occupied Elia village. The paper also writes that the hard measures taken by the pseudopolice at the Elia incident were evaluated by the so-called Council of Ministers yesterday and stresses that the pseudocouncil approved the "police" actions. The paper writes that the "ministers" reported to have stated, "The police did even little". According to the paper the "police" had orders to behave in an even harder way at Elia, but these orders were not carried out.
On its part ORTAM under the title "Nobody fears" writes that from every part of the pseudostate thousands of Turkish Cypriots who love peace will participate in the event that will take place this evening in Kyrenia. The paper also stresses that the will of the people will be registered today at Kyrenia and that the Turkish Cypriots are curious to see how the new event will be handled by those who took "legal" actions at the incident of Elia village.
 The occupation regime prevented hundreds of Turkish Cypriot students from attending the Fullbright examsKIBRIS (28/03/03) reports that the occupation regime prevented hundreds of Turkish Cypriot lyceum students to attend the Fullbright exams, which will take place today at the Ledra Palace hotel in the area controlled by the United Nations.
As the paper reports, the students were informed only yesterday that the occupation regime did not intent to allow them to go to Ledra Palace hotel and attend the exams. As the paper reports the so-called Ministry of Education of the occupation regime asked from the Fullbright board to have a representative from the "Minister" to participate in the Exams' Commission. The paper also writes that in today's exams an oral examination will take place and that the pseudostate made preparations to have the oral exams taken in the occupied areas and send the exams' results to the Fullbright board.
According to the paper, the students who were prevented from participating in the exams started a signature campaign in order to protest against the prohibition.
 KIBRISLI assesses the reasons why Rauf Denktas is furious with the efforts for conducting a referendum in the occupied areasUnder the front - page banner title "two policies!" KIBRISLI (28.03.03) assesses the reasons why the Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktas is furious with the activities of the Turkish Cypriots who try to conduct a plebiscite in the occupied areas regarding the Annan plan. The paper expresses the opinion that the policy in the occupied areas is now applied by two factors: a) by Mr Denktas "who has completely lost the support" of the Turkish Cypriots and b) by the people who demand to determine their own future.
KIBRISLI writes, inter alia the following: "While Denktas is applying his non-solution policy by using his delaying tactics on the basis of rejecting the Annan plan, the people are applying the solution policy by conducting a referendum and supporting the Annan plan. This is the source of the anger of Denktas regarding the referendum policy, which is the only alternative policy to overcome the impasse at the talks. Even the UN, which had not developed an alternative policy to the non-solution policy applied by Denktas for years, are hopeful for the referendum policy brought onto the agenda by the people. This fact gets Denktas more furious as he feels himself cornered. .".
 Turkish hunger strike claims 65th deathTURKISH DAILY NEWS (28/03/03) reports that a Turkish prisoner died on Wednesday from a hunger strike, raising the death toll in the 2 1/2 year protest against Turkey's maximum-security prisons to 65 people.
Yusuf Arici, 32, died in an Ankara hospital after fasting since May 1, 2002, said Sevgi Bolucek, an official at the Ankara-based Human Rights Association. Arici was serving a sentence at an Ankara prison for membership in the Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front or DHKP-C, a banned Marxist group. He was transferred to hospital when his health deteriorated.
The prisoners are protesting the government's policy of moving prisoners from large wards housing up to 100 people to one- or three-inmate cells. The Turkish government says that the large wards grew out of control and became virtual training camps for militants. But inmates say the smaller cells leave them isolated and vulnerable to abuse by guards. The fasts first began in October 2000.
Bolucek said 14 prisoners were pressing forward with the hunger strike. The DHKP-C, which is leading the strike, has claimed responsibility for a number of assassinations and bombings since the 1970s. The hunger strikers take vitamins and sugared water to prolong their fast. Human rights groups allege the protesters are also force-fed.
In February, parliament enacted a law imposing tough sentences on people accused of encouraging prisoners to go on a hunger strike. Anyone found guilty of encouraging the hunger strikes could be imprisoned to up to four years.
 Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan proposes five-sided negotiations regarding CyprusAccording to Illegal BRT(28/03/03--11.30 hour) the Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan, speaking to the Turkish Private TV Channel "Kanal D's " Arena Program last night referred to the statement made by the TUSIAD Chairman Tuncay Ozilhan (See Turkish press No.58/03 of 27/03/03 News Item 1) on Cyprus.
Erdogan said: "Regarding Cyprus, should we say, as they are saying, as envisaged in the Annan plan 'come and take Cyprus'? This is what they want from us. The Annan plan together with the map attached to it, is full of negative points. It is a plan that is forced on us .We do believe that if we accept the Annan plan the very same people later on would come and criticize us by saying 'how could you accept such plan'?
As a matter of fact we always defended the view that one should not avoid negotiations. For example, we are saying let us take a step -That is a "B" plan? Today I have discussed this issue with Mr. Abdullah Gul the Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister and other colleagues, we propose that the three guarantor powers; Turkey, Greece and Britain as well as the South and North Cyprus should urgently come together on a five-sided meeting, and we should do our job by ourselves. Let us approach this issue with this understanding. And let us discuss how we could solve this problem .We have said 'let's take this step' and Mr. Abdullah has already started working on it. Our wish and aim is to solve this problem in the best possible way. Safeguarding the rights of the people over there is our duty as well as the people over there. It is our right to expect from the EU and the UN to have a fair approach to this issue."