|Tuesday, 19 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 03-07-10
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.128/03 10.07.03
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 Denktas says he could negotiate if the UN Secretary - General invites him, only in case the principles of the negotiations are defined in advanceTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (10.07.03) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mr Rauf Denktas, reiterated yesterday that he was ready to negotiate in case such a demand comes from the UN Secretary - General, Kofi Annan.
In statements during one of his meetings, Mr Denktas noted that Mr Annan knows that the Turkish side did not accept the Cyprus plan prepared by the UN and added that therefore he did not expect the UN Secretary - General to invite the sides to negotiate on the basis of the Annan Plan. Mr Denktas said that the principles for negotiations had to be defined in advance if he is to sit at the negotiating table.
Mr Denktas alleged: "It is not possible for us to accept a plan which provides the status of a minority for the Turkish Cypriots under the name of 'component state' and does not take into consideration the rights of Turkey. .The issue is not an issue of sitting at the table. First and before doing this, it has to be decided with what aim we are going to sit at the table and what principles we are going to safeguard. .".
Reiterating his accusations against the UN Secretary - General's Special Advisor for Cyprus, Mr Alvaro de Soto, Mr Denktas alleged that Mr de Soto's behaviour went out of the framework of his good offices duty and accused him of exerting "unacceptable pressures to impose the opinion he had formed together with Lord David Hanney" and of cooperating with the Greek Cypriot side.
During another meeting, Mr Denktas claimed that the situation now in the occupied areas of Cyprus is similar to the situation in Istanbul when the city had been under the control of the European allies back in the beginning of the 20th century. Mr Denktas accused again Turkish Cypriot journalists and newspapers of "being paid to cooperate with the enemy".
 A group of the Turkish settlers express support to solution on the basis of the Annan Plan; Denktas criticizes their chairmanTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (10.07.03) reports that Prof. Nuri Cevikel, chairman of the association of the Turkish settlers, has said that after the 23rd of April they have began working towards finding a solution on the basis of the Annan Plan and added that there are positive reactions from many sectors of the society on this issue.
Talking yesterday at a joint press conference with Sadan Turkkan, the chairman of the association of the fighters in the 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus, Mr Cevikel argued that the accession to the EU is a goal with no return for Turkey and described 2003 as "an important year" for Turkey's goal. "The Cyprus problem is the biggest obstacle in the way of Turkey towards the EU. Therefore, what must be done is getting rid of it and opening Turkey's way", he added.
Mr Turkkan said that the two associations would not participate in the celebrations for the 29th anniversary of the invasion this year because they were not pleased with the manner the regime treats them on issues like ensuring jobs to their children, granting "citizenship" to the "fighters", giving them houses, etc.
Meanwhile, a delegation of Turkish settlers who do not agree with the views expressed by Prof Cevikel and Mr Turkkan, visited the Turkish Cypriot leader Mr Rauf Denktas and expressed their disagreement with the above-mentioned persons, expressing at the same time their support to Denktas' Cyprus policy.
Commenting on Cevikel's statements, Mr Denktas alleged that "some people are trying to deceive the Turkish Cypriots and eliminate their state". Calling on the Turkish Cypriots not to pay attention to "the lies", Mr Denktas noted: "They had come to the point to throw Cevikel out of the 'Eastern Mediterranean University' because he was charged with accusing people with accusations which had no sense. However, we have prevented this from happening together with Turkey's ambassador. Now we understand that we did not do the right thing. We should not have prevented it. I cannot understand how a professor acts with so much personal rancor".
 Turkish Cypriot arrested for smuggling antiquities at Pergamos villageTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (10.07.03) reports that the so-called Famagusta police arrested yesterday at Pergamos village a Turkish Cypriot named Fahri Tilim (24) for possessing antiquities.
The "police" found in Tilim's car one amphora and other utensils belonging to the geometric period, two icons belonging to the years 1861 and 1934 and one embroidered covering made of claret red cloth used in the church, depicting Jesus Christ and Virgin Mary. The suspect has been led to "court" in occupied Nicosia, which ordered him to remain under custody for three days.