|Monday, 25 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 03-10-07
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.189/03 07.10.03
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 EU warns Turkey on CyprusAccording to Turkish mainland newspaper HURRIYET (07.10.03), a ^”Cyprus warning^‘ will be added to the final declaration of the EU summit to be held between 12-13 December in Rome, Italy.
The paper^“s Brussels correspondent Zeynel Lule reports that following Greece^“s insistence the EU will tell Turkey: ^”Non-solution in the Cyprus problem will render the starting of accession negotiations difficult^‘.
Lule reports that consultations are going on among the EU members with a view to reaching a compromise regarding the ^”Cyprus warning^‘ to be added to the final declaration of the EU summit to be held in Rome between 12-13 December. He reports that some EU members headed by Greece and Nordic Countries want to include in the final declaration of the Rome summit the warning that: ^”Unless steps are taken towards a solution in Cyprus, it will be difficult to give a negotiation date to Turkey for EU membership^‘. He says that this demand by Greece and Nordic Countries found supporters among the members.
Lule adds that if consensus is reached among the leaders on the issue then they will stress that although the Cyprus problem is neither a political criterion between Turkey and the EU nor it should be considered a prerequisite , after Cyprus^“s full membership on 1 May 2004 one will come face to face with ^”new realities ^”.
Lule further reports that last week Mr Verheugen, during his meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister Gul in Brussels, said these things to Gul behind closed doors. Verheugen conveyed to Gul the EUīs concern on the issue and told him that first the Cyprus problem should be solved as far as the EU^“s expansion is concerned.
 Erdogan stated that Turkey did not completely reject the Annan Plan and that a solution can be found for the Cyprus problem in the framework of the UN PlanTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (07.10.03) reports that the Turkish Prime Minister, Mr Recep Tayyip Erdogan, made statements regarding the Cyprus problem to the Turkish YENI SAFAK newspaper.
Mr Erdogan stated that Turkey did not reject completely the Annan Plan and stressed that the Cyprus problem can be solved through negotiations, in the framework of the Annan Plan. ^”We accept the Annan Plan as a framework. We did not reject completely the Annan Plan. There are positive aspects and we accept them and we discuss the negative aspects too^‘, he said.
Mr Erdogan also claimed that Turkey took positive steps regarding the Cyprus problem and accused the Greek Cypriot side of not showing the same positive attitude. ^”As Turkey we open to the Greek Cypriots our doors which were closed for 40 years. However, contrary to this, the Greek Southern Cyprus was not able to open its doors. But we will continue our positive approach^‘, he alleged.
The Turkish Prime Minister also alleged that the Cyprus problem is not within the conditions of accession of Turkey to the European Union. ^”This is a de facto condition and nobody has the right to create this^‘, he said.
 ^”The army and the civilians in Turkey will settle their accounts in Cyprus^‘Under the banner front-page title ^”They will settle their accounts in Cyprus^‘, Turkish Cypriot daily AFRIKA newspaper (07.10.03) reports that the army and the Erdogan government are ^”getting ready to settle their accounts^‘ in Cyprus.
The paper writes, inter alia, the following: ^”It is alleged that the military authorities in Turkey and the civilian government are for the first time in a serious disagreement on the Cyprus issue. It is alleged that while the military authorities support Denktas, whom they have been backing for 40 years, Erdogan and Gul are exerting their power in favour of the opposition.
Erdogan is allegedly refraining from clarifying his stance because the Cyprus lobby in Ankara is still powerful. It is noted that he will show his real intentions after the opposition wins the 14 December elections.
The Generals in Ankara seem to be more calm and cold-blooded than ever before the Cyprus developments. They seem to be sure that nothing could happen in Cyprus without their wish and instructions. The cold-bloodedness of the military authorities is due to the fact that they do not see any serious danger in the developments.
The Generals, just like Erdogan, are waiting to make their real assessments after the 14 December elections. For the time being, they are refraining from making unnecessary comments about an election for the result of which they are sure.
A defeat of Denktas in Cyprus would mean defeat of the army in Turkey by Erdogan. Denktas^“ win would be registered as a victory of the army against Erdogan^‘.
 The Turkish Cabinet signs the decree that envisages sending Turkish troops to IraqAccording to local Turkish Cypriot daily KIBRISLI newspaper (07.10.03), Turkey^“s Minister of Justice and Government Spokesman, Mr Cemil Cicek, has said that the Turkish Cabinet has signed the decree that envisages sending Turkish troops to Iraq. Mr Cicek added that the decree now will be sent to the Turkish Grand National Assembly for approval.
Mr Cicek said that the decree envisages for Turkish troops to be stationed in Iraq for a period of one year.
Moreover, the private TV CNN-Turk (07.10.03) reported that the decree will be taken up first at the ruling Justice and Development Party (JDP) assembly group and then there would be a closed session at the Assembly for voting.
 Statements by the Turkish Cypriot leader regarding Greek Cypriot applications to his so-called compensations^“ committeeTurkish mainland NTV television^“s MSNBC Internet site (07.10.03) publishes an interview to NTV by the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mr Rauf Denktas. Responding to a question Mr Denktas said, inter alia, the following, regarding the Greek Cypriot applications to his so-called compensations^“ committee:
^”^ŇApplications to the compensations^“ committee have started. A case was even about to be concluded yesterday. Certainly the bargaining has begun. The applications made totaled 19, but adecrease took place, after threats on behalf of the Greek Cypriot administration that this is ^—treason^“. Now there are a few applications. The committee is dealing with them. ^Ň^‘.
Meanwhile, according to Turkish Cypriot BIRLIK newspaper (07.10.03) Salih Dayioglu, chairman of the so-called committee, referred to the same issue in statements to illegal TAK news agency. Mr Dayiolgu said that the committee had received enough applications, which would keep it busy. Asked to confirm statements made by the British member of the EU Parliament, Mr Geoffrey Van Orden to Greek Cypriot daily ^”Politis^‘ newspaper that there were 27 applications before the ^”committee^‘, Mr Dayioglu said: ^”I am not in a position either to confirm this or to declare it untrue^‘.
Furthermore, according to the paper, Mr Akin Sait, so-called attorney general of the occupation regime, told TAK that there were 25 Turkish Cypriot applications to the office created by the regime in order to help them to appeal to Courts of the Republic of Cyprus and claim compensations for their property in the free areas.