|Saturday, 14 December 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 03-11-27
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.225/03 27.11.03
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 Turkey insists on refusing to abide by the decision of the European Court of Human Rights in the Loizidou caseAnkara Anatolia news agency (26.11.03) reported from Strasbourg that Turkeyīs Permanent Representative to the Council of Europe (COE) Numan Hazar said on Wednesday that Turkey had not paid the compensation to Greek Cypriot Titina Loizidou yet.
Hazar told A.A correspondent that Turkey had not paid the compensation to Loizidou yet under the decision of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
The issue would be debated after the meeting of the committee of delegates to be held in the afternoon, Hazar said.
The committee of delegates, which convenes in the level of ambassadors in the COE, had given an extra one week of time to Turkey to fulfill the requirement of the ECHR decision in its last week's meeting.
Diplomatic sources said that differences of opinion between the sides were minimized thanks to the mediation of COE Secretariat General, adding that they expected the issue to be solved as soon as possible.
Meanwhile Ankara TRT 2 Television (26.11.03) broadcast that Mr Abdullah Gul, Foreign Minister and Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey, has denied claims that Turkey paid to the Council of Europe the compensation which the ECHR ruled Turkey should pay to Greek Cypriot Titina Loizidou. Gul denied claims that Turkey paid the compensation regarding the Loizidou case, adding: ^”The negotiations are continuing. We have not paid any compensation.^‘
 Turkish Cypriot shop owner was harassed because he refused to pay bribe to an officer of the occupation armyThe Editor ^÷in Chief of the AFRIKA newspaper, Mr Sener Levent, in his daily column ^”Angle^‘ in AFRIKA (25, 27.11.03) describes in a vivid manner the life and the sufferings of the ordinary Turkish Cypriot under military occupation.
In his Article on 25/11/03 Levent describes how newspaper vendor Turkish Cypriot Ergun Aydogan in the Nicosia Bus Terminal in the occupied Nicosia, is being harassed, insulted and disgraced by a Turkish Occupation Army officer Sergeant - Major Zulfer Karaman of the Central Commend who is responsible for maintaining ^”law and order^‘ in that area, because the newspaper vendor refused to pay bribe to the officer.
Levent further says that since Ergun refused to pay the bribe and resisted to the insults of the officer, who said that it was the Turkish Armed Forces that saved the Turkish Cypriots ^”otherwise their mothers would have been screwed by the giaours - the infidel Greek Cypriots - that it is Turkey that provides their bread, and that if he wanted to he could have taken his life^‘. He threatened him by reaching for his pistol and branding his fist to his face. Ergun then was taken into custody by the police and a written statement was taken. When the news vendor described the incident and said that the one who should complain is him the so-called police said: ^”We do not have authority over the Army^‘.
Sener Levent goes on and reports that when he wrote about this incident in AFRIKA, next day the sergeant-major had dispatched the military police in front of the newspaper vendor^“s shop and forbade people to enter into the shop. As result of this action Ergun Aydogan, as a sign of protest, hang posters, on the shop^“s window announcing that he wants to sell his shop for half the price because of the unfair treatment meted out to him ^”by the Central Command^‘ and that ^”Turkish Cypriots are not for sale.^‘
He was taken into ^”police^‘ custody again and the posters were brought down by the so-called police.
Sener Levent concludes by declaring: ^”Isn^“t there a person to tell all these to the people loudly at the election campaign?^‘
^”If not then `there is no Europe, neither in the spring nor in the summer and nor in the winter.^‘
 Izzet Izcan stated that the talks for reaching a solution to the Cyprus problem must start againTurkish Cypriot daily ORTAM newspaper (27.11.03) reports that Mr Izzet Izcan, coordinator of the Peace and Democracy Movement (PDM) stated yesterday that the talks for reaching a solution to the Cyprus problem, on the basis of the Annan Plan, must start again.
^”We must be realistic. There is a problem in Cyprus and only with a mutual ^—give and take^“, can we reach a solution^‘, stated Mr Izcan. He also added that the talks on Cyprus must start on the basis of the Annan Plan which recognises for the Turkish Cypriots the rights of equal status, fifty-fifty representation in the parliament and rotating presidency.
Commenting on Turkey^“s refusal to abide by the ECHR decision on the Loizidou case, Mr Izcan said that the whole issue will not end here. ^”The damages to be paid to Loizidou must be a lesson for the status quo. This job does not end only with Loizidou, there are thousand suits waiting in line^‘, he stressed.
 Popular Turkish singer of Kurdish origin bought a hotel and casino in occupied Kyrenia districtLocal daily KIBRIS newspaper (27.11.03) reports that the popular Turkish singer, Mr Ibrahim Tatlises, has bought a hotel in occupied Ayios Georghios village of Kyrenia district. The hotel will start operating in a weekīs time but the Casino under the name ^”Tatlises Casino^‘ started operating the night before with profits of 7,000 dollars.
Mr Tatlises organized a press conference in the casino at occupied Ayios Georghios during which he gave details about his investment plans in the area of Cyprus occupied by Turkish troops.
He alleged that among the customers of his casino in the first day of operation were many Greek Cypriots and added that ^”because the `TRNCī has a promising future he will start business in the construction sector and continue to invest in various sectors in the `TRNC`^‘.
 The Turkish National Security Council is assessing the effects on energy from developments in the regionAccording to Turkish daily newspaper CUMHURIYET (26/11/03) The Turkish National Security Council General Secretariat has prepared and submitted to the Office of the Prime Minister a study regarding the energy strategy in the Middle East following the intervention in the region by the United States.
According to the study, with four major projects the sharing of the energy will undergo serious changes. The projects are:
1. Petroleum in the Eastern Saudi Arabia will be directed to the Mediterranean.
2. Egyptian natural gas will be piped via Israel- Lebanon -Syria to Turkey.
3. Russian Petroleum to the Red Sea.
4. The Qatari natural gas will be piped via UAE- Oman to Pakistan.
CUMHURIYET reports that the prime Minister^“s office has sent the report for further studies to the Turkish Foreign Ministry and the Ministry of Energy.
The paper also reports that concern is expressed over the future of the Baku-Ceyhan pipeline as a result of the developments in the Middle-East.