|Wednesday, 27 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 04-05-13
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.89/04 13.05.04
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[B] COMMENTARIES, EDITORIALS AND ANALYSIS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 Turkish General Yalman argues that further negotiations could not be conducted on the Annan Plan and asks the recognition of the pseudostateTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (13.05.04) reports that the Turkish Land Forces commander, General Aytac Yalman who is illegally visiting the occupied areas of Cyprus, said yesterday that further negotiations could not be conducted on the Annan Plan and that the plan ceased to exist.
"Turkey and the Turkish Cypriots recently showed their good will towards a settlement on the island. Now it's the Greek side that has to exert efforts and demonstrate its will for a solution", alleged Yalman who called on the international community to act in line with things they had said prior to the referenda and to take measures that would "ease the situation of the Turkish Cypriots" and lift the do-called embargoes on the occupation regime.
"The latest situation on the island shows us once again that a solution to the Cyprus problem depends on the TRNC's status being equalized with that of the Greek side," Yalman alleged.
General Yalman met with the Turkish Cypriot leader, Rauf Denktas the so-called Prime Minister, Mehmet Ali Talat and Turkey's so-called ambassador to occupied Nicosia, Hayati Guven. During his meeting with Denktas the Turkish General said: "I want to express my feelings of esteem for Denktas for his historic figure and for the contributions he has made, especially over the past year, to this national cause".
General Yalman claimed also that Turkey being a guarantor power in Cyprus was meaningful for both Turkey and the Turkish Cypriots and alleged that his country would do its best with the latest situation on the island "to protect the security and peace of the Turkish Cypriots as well as the interests and rights of Turkey".
 Turkish occupation army officers are reportedly connected with bomb attacks in occupied CyprusUnder the banner front page title "For whom were the bombs?" Turkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (13.05.04) reports that a noncommissioned officer of the Turkish occupation army has been arrested regarding the incident with an abandoned car, which had been found the day before in Goneyli area full of explosive materials. The paper notes that the above-mentioned person is an expert on explosives.
KIBRIS writes that C4 explosive material, TNT, dynamite and fuse were found in the car trunk. The way of the C4 being taken out of the army barracks is not still known, continues KIBRIS, noting that only a small quantity of C4 had the power to create a great tragedy.
The abandoned car, an old Renault with the registration numbers AR 867, is registered on the name of another noncommissioned officer of the Turkish occupation army, who has completed his service in occupied Cyprus and returned to Turkey.
KIBRIS writes also that the so-called police have with delay issued a statement on the matter and verified that the car belonged to a noncommissioned officer of the Turkish occupation army. However, the "police" noted that the car had been abandoned there due to a breakdown, while the officer was returning home from work.
Furthermore, the so-called Minister of Interior, Murat Ozkan said that the explosives found in the abandoned car "bring to mind" the recent explosions in occupied Cyprus. "I do not know if this is a coincidence but these explosives remind us of the explosives (used) during the past period", Mr Ozkan said.
KIBRISLI newspaper (13.05.04) refers to the issue on its front page under the banner head-lines "Connection with army corps" and notes that "a shocking development" took place that will enlighten the bomb attacks the perpetrators of which remain unknown.
 Statements on Cyprus by the President of the Lebanon during a visit to AnkaraTurkish Cypriot illegal Bayrak television (13.05.04) broadcast that the President of the Lebanon, Rafik Hariri has asked the lifting of the so-called embargoes against the occupation regime in Cyprus.
In statements last night during a dinner given in his honor by Prime Minister Erdogan, Mr Hariri, who was visiting Turkey, argued that the Turkish Cypriots showed to the world that they really wanted to live in peace.
He also noted that at several meetings that he held called on his interlocutors to lift the so-called embargoes against the occupation regime in northern Cyprus, because the side that shows positive stance should not be punished.
According to illegal Bayrak, Mr Hariri described Turkey's foreign policy as "balanced policy", which contributes to the creation of stability in the region. This balanced policy, he alleged, was applied on the issues of Iraq and Cyprus.
"The Turkish Cypriots showed to the world that they wanted to live in peace. This is very important. In our various relations, we called (on everybody) to lift the embargoes on the Turkish Cypriot side, so that the punishment of the side which had a positive stance does not continue", argued the Lebanese President.
 The "Council of Ministers" of the pseudostate announced that important developments will take place shortly as regards the Cyprus problemTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (13.05.04) reports that the so-called Council of Ministers of the occupation regime held a meeting yesterday and discussed the latest developments as regards the Cyprus problem. In the meeting, which lasted 4,5 hours, the "Council of Ministers" evaluated the developments after the 1st May and the accession of the Cyprus Republic to the EU, along with the contacts held in Brussels, the USA and Turkey by the so-called Prime Minister of the occupation regime, Mr Mehmet Ali Talat.
Reading a statement after the meeting, Mr Huseyin Celal, so-called Minster of Health of the pseudostate, stated that they discussed how they will be prepared for the developments that will take place in the future. "The situation was not clarified yet but we are hopeful. In a very short time very important developments will take place", he said and added that they have not prepared a road map yet but they are waiting for any progress to develop to act accordingly.
In addition, Mr Talat stated that he will visit Turkey in the next days. "It is not finalized yet, but there will be definitely (a visit) in the coming days", he said.
[B] COMMENTARIES, EDITORIALS AND ANALYSIS
 AFRIKA newspaper: Now is the time of the Republic of CyprusUnder the title: "The new steps must be made by the Turkish side,", AFRIKA newspaper (13.05.04) publishes the following commentary in the column "Letter from AFRIKA":
"From now on all the news will be on roughly the same lines' Do not expect anything more until December. Some will say "The Annan plan is dead", while others will console themselves by saying the "Annan plan is on the table".
And the reflections of a second referendum will add some colour to this picture' Those who cannot find anything to say on television screens will write commentaries and assessments' There will be research findings on why the Turks said "yes", in the same way as there are researches on why the Greek Cypriots said "no".
However, those who want to keep alive the momentum for "Solution and EU", will not be successful if the expect steps in this direction only from the Greek Cypriots. There will not be such a step from the Greek Cypriots.
As a matter of fact those who said "no" to the Annan plan did not regret it that much. And the opinion polls carried out do not show that the Greek Cypriots who voted "no" have changed their mind.
Also those Greek Cypriots who voted "no" have preconditions in order to say "yes" to the plan. And this was the condition set by the leader of AKEL Mr Christofias immediately before the referendum.
The issue of security'You know' The guarantee requested from the UN Security Council for the implementation of the agreement.
Russia exercised veto for this' But Turkey too was not approaching this issue very warmly.
In the coming days the issue of establishing a new government or resorting to early elections will gain momentum' However, this has no relation whatsoever with the objective of solution and EU.
I do not think that there can be a new government outside Turkey´s initiative'
The Republican Turkish Party (of Mehmet Ali Talat) makes no move without the instructions of Erdogan. If Erodgan gives the green light for coalition between the Republican Turkish Party (RTP) and the National Unity Party (NUP) (of Dervis Eroglu) this too is done' But it is not only the NUP, to this is added the issue of not offending the Democratic Party (DP) (of Mr Serdar Denktas).
Mr Mustara Akinci announced his party´s position yesterday. Either a new government or early elections, he said. Mr Akinci knows that he is not Mr Erdogan´s choice.
Besides, Mr Talat and Denktas father and son do not approach this positively. For this reason it does not seem possible that a place will be given to the Peace and Democracy Movement (PDM) (of Mr Akinci) in a new government formation.
Coming to the chances of the PDM in a possible early election, unless it takes dynamic steps for a solution to the Cyprus problem and declares something different from the RTP, it will be crashed.
While Talat says "The Republic of Cyprus is a Greek Cypriot Republic", and Akinci does not say "This Republic is the Republic of all of us' And we must acquire our partnership rights the sooner possible", and if he (Akinci) does not open a way for the solution, his work is difficult'
The past was the period of solution and EU. The present is the period of the Republic of Cyprus'"