Browse through our Interesting Nodes on Russia A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Saturday, 23 January 2021
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 05-01-20

Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>

TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.13/05 20.01.05

[A] NEWS ITEMS

  • [01] With Turkish troops occupying EU territory militarily the EU is about to sign three documents with Turkey.
  • [02] The occupation regime´s police arrested four in connection with the murder of Guzelyurtlu. Denktas appears prepared to exploit the murder to promote the partitionists plans he started in 1963.
  • [03] Statements by Rauf Denktas on the invitation to the Democratic Rally Party to visit Turkey.
  • [04] Turkey is reportedly refusing to abide by its commitment to establish an anti-corruption unit.
  • [05] Talat says that it is possible to find evidences regarding the Guzelyurtlu family's murder both in occupied and the free areas of Cyprus; Further information on the murder.
  • [06] A Turkish television programme which put questions to the Turkish public on the economic aid of Turkey to the pseudostate caused the strong reaction of Rauf Denktas.

  • [A] NEWS ITEMS

    [01] With Turkish troops occupying EU territory militarily the EU is about to sign three documents with Turkey

    Ankara Anatolia news agency (19.01.05) reported from Ankara that the ''European Commission will issue three separate documents for Turkey,'' diplomatic sources said on Wednesday.

    A decision had earlier been taken to start entry talks with Turkey on October 3rd.

    The accession Partnership Accord, which is expected to be issued in Spring, is the first of the three documents. This will be the third Accession Partnership Accord prepared for Turkey following those that were prepared for Turkey in 2001 and 2003.

    Meanwhile, Ankara wants the expressions that Ankara met the political criteria and a resolution was made on December 17th to start entry talks to be included in the Accession Partnership Accord.

    Diplomatic sources say the Accession Partnership Accord should not include any new conditions for Turkey. The accession Partnership Accord is expected to be a document not only dealing with political, but also with economic and social areas.

    The same sources stated that the European Commission started preparations for this document, and noted that completion of the approval process was not definite yet.

    The second document which the Commission would issue will draw the framework of negotiations. The third document aims at Turkish and EU communities to know each other better. It will be a document aiming at arranging relations between non-governmental organizations.

    Ankara does not want the ''framework document'' to include conditions which Turkey did not deserve and which would jeopardize the sustainability of the negotiations.

    Also, in the next term, Turkey will struggle to prevent inclusion of elements accepted in the EU Parliament against Turkey just before the December 17th Summit. The elements caused uneasiness in Turkey.

    Diplomatic sources said it would be meaningful if Turkey's views are taken into consideration.

    All those documents which the EU Commission will issue, have to be unanimously endorsed by the European Council.

    The documents pertaining to the Accession Partnership Accord and NGO´s are expected to be issued in the second half of this year.

    The diplomatic sources said the possibility of commencement of the screening process, targeting to harmonize EU acquis and Turkish regulations, on October 3rd increased and that they expected the screening process to last 3-4 months.

    The chapters which would be dealt with during Turkey's negotiation process are expected to be different than the other candidate countries. The chapters which had been 31 for the other countries which went through the same process, is estimated to be around 35-36 for Turkey.

    Diplomatic sources said the additional chapters would not include new areas, but the chapters would be separated within themselves.

    The signing of the adjustment protocol of the Ankara Agreement is another issue which Ankara has to deal with in the next period.

    The EU is expected to present a draft in the coming months extending the adjustment protocol to the 10 new EU member countries including the Republic of Cyprus.

    The diplomatic sources emphasized that the legitimate views of Turkey on the draft would be conveyed to the EU.

    Meanwhile, it was reported that the Turkey-EU Troika meeting will take place in Ankara at foreign ministerial level in March.

    EU Commissioner for Enlargement Olli Rehn will visit Ankara on March 7th to attend the Troika meeting.

    [02] The occupation regime´s police arrested four in connection with the murder of Guzelyurtlu. Denktas appears prepared to exploit the murder to promote the partitionists plans he started in 1963

    Ankara Anatolia news agency (19.01.05) reported from occupied Lefkosia that the occupation regime´s so-called police have detained four persons for questioning in connection with the murder of businessman Elmas Guzelyurtlu, his wife Zerrin, and daughter Eylul in the free areas of Cyprus on Saturday [15 January].

    Of the suspects taken into custody in connection with the Guzelyurtlu murder, two are reportedly being questioned in occupied Lefkosia and the other two at the occupied Morphou police station.

    The so-called Interior Minister Ozkan Murat said that the detained persons are Turks, adding that the names of the four under questioning will, for now, not be announced for the security of the investigation.

    It has been announced that one of the detainees is Elmas Guzelyurtlu's bodyguard and another a casino worker, and that other detentions too might follow.

    Commenting on the murder the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mr Rauf Denktas, said that the murder of the Guzelyurtlu family in the free areas of Cyprus is a terrible incident. "The personality of the murdered aside, the cruel slaying of his wife and daughter is a terrible incident," Denktas said, adding: "The Greek Cypriots are sending the following message to us: 'If you are going to live among us, you better live like human beings. This is what your fate will be if you upset or harm us.'"

    Speaking during a meeting with guests, Denktas alleged that "the same thing was done to the Turks in Crete," and went on to add: "In Crete too first came massive attacks, then an agreement, and then one by one the murder of shepherds in fields and farms. Then came the murder of leaders' associates, insecurity, and Enosis with Greece. They are playing the same game here. That is why we must sit at the table with the full knowledge of these things. And that is what we did. We declared that 'it is essential to stand up for our state and independence.' We will continue saying this. "

    Noting that "Turkey will enter into negotiations [over the Cyprus problem] because of the EU and will thus come under pressure," Denktas said: "Wherever I visit I see the Turkish nation. They are greatly excited at hearing about Cyprus. All of them rise up in excitement. The fighters, war veterans , and martyrs' families here are embracing us. They are screaming that the sacrifices made have not gone, and should not go, to waste. Let, therefore, no one worry. We must, however, show both to Turkey and the world that we are standing up for our independence and state".

    [03] Statements by Rauf Denktas on the invitation to the Democratic Rally Party to visit Turkey

    Ankara Anatolia news agency (19.01.05) reported that in connection with the invitation extended by the JDP [Justice and Development Party] to the Greek Cypriot main opposition party DYSI [Democratic Rally] to visit Ankara, the Turkish Cypriot leader Mr Rauf Denktas said that "this is not an official invitation extended by the [Turkish] government."

    In a statement during a meeting with guests, Denktas said that they "investigated this issue and found out that contrary to what is being said by the Greek Cypriot press this is not a 'step taken by Turkey toward the recognition of the Republic of Cyprus."

    Noting that this is a "party-to-party" invitation, Denktas indicated that there is no question of "Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan inviting a certain party."

    [04] Turkey is reportedly refusing to abide by its commitment to establish an anti-corruption unit

    Istanbul NTV television (19.01.05) broadcast the following:

    "Turkey, which is getting ready for negotiations with the EU, was unable to take a step on the formation of an independent anti-corruption unit, one of its homework assignments.

    It has transpired that the draft drawn up by the EU General Secretariat for the new unit has become mired at the Prime Ministry. It has been learned that Prime Ministry Undersecretary Omer Dincer has opposed to the formation of a new unit arguing that there are already sufficient number of mechanisms for the struggle against corruption.

    The EU Commission's progress report on 6 October last year had proposed that a unit be formed in Turkey for the struggle against corruption and a law be enacted on the fight against corruption.

    The EU General Secretariat, which sent the draft on the formation of an anti-corruption unit to the Prime Ministry, did not receive a positive reply, however.

    According to available information, Prime Ministry Undersecretary Omer Dincer has opposed to the formation of a new unit arguing that there are already sufficient number of mechanisms in Turkey for the struggle against corruption.

    In a letter sent to the EU General Secretariat by the Prime Ministry, it was also argued that the Law on the Organized Crimes and the new Turkish Penal Code are sufficient for an effective struggle against corruption.

    It has been learned that Justice Minister Cemil Cicek has defended this same line at the Prime Ministry.

    Upon this development, the €6 million promised by the EU Commission to Turkey for the anti-corruption campaign has remained in the air. Diplomatic sources are of the opinion that the expectations on the anti-corruption fight would again be placed before Ankara in the new Accession Partnership Document prior to the start of the negotiations. The same sources also note that the anti-corruption unit has to gather the existing institutions under a single roof for it to be independent and powerful. The diplomatic circles are also worried at the signs that the Law on the Struggle Against Corruption might be withdrawn.

    [05] Talat says that it is possible to find evidences regarding the Guzelyurtlu family's murder both in occupied and the free areas of Cyprus; Further information on the murder

    Turkish Cypriot daily AFRIKA newspaper (20.01.05) reports that Mehmet Ali Talat, so-called Prime Minister of the occupation regime, has said that it was possible to find evidences on the murder of the Guzelyurtlu family, which was perpetrated last week in the free areas of Cyprus, both in the occupied and the free areas of the island.

    Asked yesterday why the so-called police of the occupation regime are conducting investigation on the issue in the occupied areas of Cyprus given that the crime took place in the free areas, Mr Talat said that the family of the victims is in the occupied areas and that it had given deposition there as well.

    Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot HALKIN SESI newspaper (20.01.05) reports that the investigations on the issue are conducted very secretly and that one of the four persons that the "police" of the occupation regime had put under custody the night of the murder crossed over to the free areas of Cyprus around midnight and returned to the occupied areas very early in the morning.

    Turkish Cypriot YENI DUZEN (20.01.05) reports that the four arrested persons will remain under custody for two days and that one of them named Mustafa Akmandor, who could allegedly be the mastermind of the murder, had in the past been an employee of late Elmas Guzelyurtlu dealing with exchanging foreign currency. Mr Mustafa Akmandor is reportedly the person that during the night of the murder was in the free areas of Cyprus. The suspicions regarding the above-mentioned person are increasing because he knew very well late Guzelyurtlu's house.

    Turkish Cypriot VOLKAN newspaper (20.01.05) writes that one of the arrested persons is the brother of Mustafa Akmandor, Fikret Akmandor and reminds that on 7 January 2005 VOLKAN, under the banner headlines "Is this a 27 thousand Cyprus Pounds settling of accounts?" was wondering "what is the relation of Mustafa Akmandor with Elmas' and "who burned Fikret Akmandor's car". The paper notes that Mustafa Akmandor has been working in the security of Elmas Guzelyurtlu and that he had claimed that while he was taking 27 thousand Cyprus pounds to the bank to deposit them, the Greek Cypriot mafia has stolen it from him. The paper writes that the other two arrested persons work as security at a casino.

    VOLKAN also notes that Republican Turkish Party's (RTP) so-called minister Ahmet Uzun has finally confessed that on 10 February 2004 he met with Elmas Guzelyurtlu at a restaurant in the free areas of Cyprus. Present at the meeting were also RTP's General Secretary, Ferdi Sabit Soyer and Mehmet Civa. The paper refers to the information published yesterday in the column of Basaran Duzgun in KIBRIS (19.01.05) who said that Mr Uzun told him that one month after he was appointed he crossed over to the free areas of the island and met with Elmas Guzelyurtlu.

    [06] A Turkish television programme which put questions to the Turkish public on the economic aid of Turkey to the pseudostate caused the strong reaction of Rauf Denktas

    Turkish Cypriot daily VATAN newspaper (20.01.05) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktas reacted strongly to a television programme of the Turkish NTV channel which put questions to the Turkish public on the financial aid of Turkey to the pseudostate during the last thirty years.

    As the paper writes the producer of the "The truth itself" television programme, Mr Kadir Copdemir, asked in the framework of the programme the following questions as regards this issue: "Turkey has spent three billion dollars for Cyprus in thirty years. Should this continue? Wouldn't be better if this money was given to you?"

    The programme caused the strong reaction of the Turkish Cypriot leader who described the whole event as a shame and stated that it really offended the Turkish Cypriots, since it was "tasteless, unnecessary and untimely propaganda". "This does not serve the national cause. It is a game and a conspiracy for completely uprooting the Turkish Cypriots", said Mr Denktas, who also added that the aid given to the Turkish Cypriots by Turkey is always received with gratitude by them and it will continue to happen.

    /SK


    Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright © 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    tcpr2html v1.00 run on Thursday, 20 January 2005 - 16:02:02 UTC