|Tuesday, 14 July 2020|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 06-08-25
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.163/06 25.08.06
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 Talat and Rauf Denktas will attend the handover ceremony of the duty of the Chief of the Turkish General StaffUnder the title Talat will participate in General Staffs handover ceremony, Turkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS (25.08.06) reports the following:
President Mehmet Ali Talat is participating in Turkeys General Staffs handover ceremony.
The Commander of the Land Forces, General Yasar Buyukanit, who has become Chief of the Turkish General Staff according to a decision by the Supreme Military Council, will take over his duty from General Hilmi Ozkok at a ceremony which will be organized on Monday 28 August.
The handover ceremony, which will take place at the Headquarters of the Turkish General Staff, will begin at 16.30 hours. After the ceremony a reception will be organized.
President Mehmet Ali Talat will go to Ankara with his wife Oya Talat on Monday 28 August in order to participate in the handover ceremony and the reception.
Former President Rauf Denktas will also be present at the ceremony.
 Missing Persons Committee to launch new project to identify bodiesAnkara Anatolia news agency (24.08.06) reports that the Committee on Missing Persons will launch a new project in Cyprus to identify the bodies of dead people, and return their remains to their relatives.
The committee had a meeting with four experts from the Argentine Forensic Anthropology Team (EAAF) at the Ledra Palace Hotel in the buffer zone.
According to a statement released after the meeting, the Committee said that Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot archeologists and anthropologists will unearth remains of dead people from the graves in cooperation with EAAF experts.
These remains will be examined in the anthropology laboratory set up in the bufferzone, the statement indicated.
Noting that the project will last about two months, the statement said that this new project will be conducted in all regions where missing persons are buried if necessary funds are provided.
On the same issue, illegal Bayrak television (24.08.06) broadcast that the DNA identification laboratory set up at Thallasamia center at the occupied Lefkosia Dr. Nalbantoglu State Hospital is officially opening tomorrow.
The laboratory, within work being carried out to identify remains of missing persons found, has so far conducted tests on 410 blood samples taken from relatives of the missing.
Speaking to the illegal BRT, the coordinator of the DNA laboratory, DNA expert, Dr. Erol Baysal said that important progress had been achieved in the painstaking and difficult process of identifying remains belonging to missing persons.
Noting that the relatives of missing persons have been very cooperative by leaving samples at the DNA lab, Mr. Baysal said that the DNA testing, together with anthropological studies conducted on the remains will almost yield a 100% accurate results.
Explaining that work to establish the profiles of the missing persons will start in the coming weeks, Dr. Baysal said that this process could take a long time to complete.
Meanwhile, a team of four experts who will assist work at the anthropological laboratory in the Buffer zone have arrived on the island.
 Rasit Pertev and Tasos Djionis continue their meetingsIllegal Bayrak television (24.08.06) broadcast that the self-styled Presidential Undersecretary Rasit Pertev and Tasos Djionis - an aide to the Greek Cypriot leader Tassos Papadopoulos, came together yesterday to resume their routine discussions.
The two men have agreed to meet again today.
The two men who meet regularly at the residence of the UN Secretary-Generals Special representative for Cyprus Michael Moller have been coming together as part of a new process to prepare the ground for talks both on the technical level and on issues of substance.
The Greek Cypriot side is reported to have listed 9 headings- EU affairs, property, economic integration, land, maritime and aviation, energy and natural resources, security, citizenship and cultural heritage under which it wants substantive talks to be held on.
Mr Pertev and Mr Djionis have agreed to resume their discussions today.
 Soyer raised the issue of power cuts in the occupied by Turkish troops part of Cyprus to the Turkish Prime MinisterIllegal Bayrak television (24.08.06) broadcast that the self-styled Prime Minister Ferdi Sabit Soyer, who is in Turkey for a routine medical checkup, met yesterday afternoon with his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
No statement was issued to the press at the end of the meeting.
The two men are reported to have discussed ways on solving the current energy problems faced in the TRNC as well as the latest developments on the Cyprus problem.
The UN Secretary-General Kofi Annans forthcoming visit to Turkey on the 6th of September was also taken up during the meeting.
 Erel in favour of Turkish Cypriots being able to export their products from LimassolTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS (25.08.06) reports that Mr Ali Erel, chairman of the Cyprus EU Association, issued in a written statement yesterday. Mr Erel expressed the opinion that many things can be done with the 259 euro aid of the EU, which the Turkish side rejects for two years now.
He supported that the Turkish Cypriots should be able to export their products through the port of Limassol and said that neither the efforts towards reaching a solution in Cyprus nor the economy of the Turkish Cypriots are going well. Mr Erel argued that unless the Turkish Cypriots abandon the Turkish lira and start using the euro and unless they become a part of the economic cooperation between Turkey and the Republic of Cyprus, their problems will be growing.
 London based Turkish Cypriot tour operator wants financial aid from the breakaway regimeTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS (25.08.06) reports that Mr Alan Suleyman, tour operator and owner of the Cyprus Paradise Company which is based in London, said that his company is facing difficulties and that the ministry of tourism of the TRNC stopped the financial aid that it was giving to them.
Noting that his company carried 30 thousand tourists to the occupied part of Cyprus from Britain, Mr Suleyman pointed out that the tourism sector of the TRNC will receive a blow in case Cyprus Paradise goes bankrupt.