|Thursday, 5 December 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 12-08-22
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 161/12 22.8.12
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Eroglu alleges that they are very strong in the negotiations because of their "state" and that the illegal Turkish settlers will not be sent awayIllegal Bayrak television (21.08.12, online) broadcast that the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu has alleged that they are very strong at the negotiating table because of their so-called state and that they would not have been so strong if they were a community. In statements yesterday during a visit in occupied Famagusta to the association of the "fighters" of the 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus, Eroglu said he knew many of the "fighters" since 1974 because he was a doctor then and added: "Thanks God we have established our state in the geography created by those days".
Noting that they should defend their "state", Eroglu alleged: "Thanks to our state, we are very strong at the negotiating table. If we were a community we would not have been so strong. Thanks to our state, we have the opportunity to bargain at the negotiating table".
Pointing out to the importance of the guarantees of Turkey, Eroglu said that it was not possible for him to sign an agreement which "zeroes" the Turkish Cypriots.
Asked by the members of the association how the EU term presidency of the Republic of Cyprus influenced the negotiations, Eroglu said that this was "an expected situation" and therefore they implemented a strategy which was determined "in consultation with motherland Turkey".
He noted that confidence building measures are discussed at the technical committees and reiterated the allegation that it is meaningless to negotiate with President Christofias since the latter announced that he would not run again for President in the forthcoming elections.
Moreover, Eroglu reiterated the Turkish view that a time limit should be put in the negotiations, and argued that the UN Secretary-General had also announce that the negotiations should not be open-ended. Alleging that the Greek Cypriot side does not want a solution, Eroglu argued: "Of course we want an agreement, but we do not want an agreement regardless of how this agreement will be".
Referring to the illegal Turkish settlers, Eroglu argued that it is out of the question for them to send away "the citizens from Turkey".
 Nadir is arrested after being found guilty of theft; Reactions in the press continue; Nur Nadir: "My husband is like Mandela"Under the title "After the decision, he was arrested", Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (22.08.12) reports that Turkish Cypriot businessman Asil Nadir was arrested yesterday by the British police in London after he had been found guilty on three counts of theft. Noting that Nadir faces 13 counts, the paper writes that he was found not guilty on the one of them and that the decision on the other nine is expected to be announced today. The paper reports that Nadir will remain under arrest until the final verdict of the court is announced.
According to the paper, Nadir accepted to go to London on his own will and to be tried in order to prove that he was innocent. Turkish daily Hurriyet newspaper reported that Nadir could stay in prison for 4-5 years.
Afrika writes that the decision of the jury about Nadir caused a great sorrow in the Turkish Cypriot community and that they wish Nadir to be sentenced to a pecuniary punishment and not to be imprisoned. Afrika reports also that Nadir was surprised by the decision of the jury and that the case had repercussions all over the world.
Moreover, writing in his daily column in Turkish Cypriot daily Haberdar (22.08.12), Rasih Resat argues that Nadir was tried by the British public opinion and not by the British justice. He says that Nadir is a hero for the Turkish Cypriots.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (22.08.12) reports that Asil Nadir's spouse, Nur Nadir, in statements to Turkish journalists after the decision of the court was announced, compared her husband to South African leader Nelson Mandela. Referring to what Asil Nadir is going through, she said: "He experienced things similar to those experienced by Nelson Mandela in South Africa and Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Turkey?"
When she was reminded of the accusation that Asil Nadir stole money, Nur Nadir replied: "Did he really? In order to see what Asil did with his wealth look at Cyprus and his investments there". Noting that her spouse expected to be acquitted, Nur Nadir said: "As soon as he was acquitted from here, Asil would continue his investments in the media in Turkey which remained unfinished?"
Havadis publishes also some titles used by the British and Turkish press on the issue:
Financial Times: Nadir is found guilty on three counts of theft in Polly Peck saga
Daily Mail: Guilty! Now runaway Nadir faces jail at last
Akit and Aksam: Asil Nadir was found guilty of theft
Aydinlik: Asil Nadir was condemned
Hurriyet: The Brits did not forgive Asil Nadir, he might stay in prison four years
Milliyet: Shock: Asil Nadir is guilty of embezzlement
Radikal: Asil Nadir is a swindler
Star: The Brits did not have mercy for Asil Nadir
 Ozersay says his movement is open for everybody living in the occupied area of CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (22.08.12) reports that Kudret Ozersay, leader of the "We Are Getting Together" Movement and former special representative of the Turkish Cypriot leader, has said that the National Unity Party (UBP) self-styled government is not the sole responsible for the situation in the occupied area of Cyprus. In an exclusive interview with Halkin Sesi, Ozersay noted that the actual problem is the political and social corruption and argued that "time for social change has come".
He said that the politicians use the public funds carelessly for preserving their own "posts" and that everything has been turned into a "show". Ozersay argued that holding "elections", without a social change first, would bring no result.
Referring to the "We Are Getting Together" Movement, Ozersay said that it is based on "multiculturalism" and it is not a movement only for the Turkish Cypriots. "For us a TRNC citizen is a TRNC citizen. We make no discriminations", he noted adding that even the settlers from Turkey are "TRNC citizens" and a part of the community. He said that the movement is open for everyone who "sees his future in this country even if he is not a citizen."
Referring to his resignation from the post of the special representative of the Turkish Cypriot leader, Ozersay noted that if Eroglu had not asked him to choose between his duties in the negotiating team and the "We Are Getting Together" Movement, he would not have resigned. He argued that his resignation did not cause interruption of the negotiations. "In any case, the negotiating process was heading nowhere", he said.
 The PKK denied the responsibility for the terrorist bombing attack in Turkey's Gaziantep; Turkish and Turkish Cypriot officials condemned the attackTurkish daily Today's Zaman (21.08.12) reported that the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) said on Tuesday that they were not responsible for a car bomb that killed nine people in the southeastern town of Gaziantep, near Turkey's border with Syria, late on Monday. "Our fighters have nothing to do with this explosion," F?rat News, a website close to the terrorist organization, cited the PKK as saying in a statement.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the explosion, which officials said was caused by a remote-controlled car bomb, but south-eastern Turkey has seen frequent attacks by the PKK, designated a terrorist group by Turkey, the United States and European Union.
Turkey has accused neighboring Syria of supporting the PKK, which launched a separatist insurgency in the region 28 years ago, since when more than 40,000 persons have been killed.
Gaziantep is around 50 kilometers (30 miles) from the Syrian border. Turkey has opened a centre in the town to receive international aid as it copes with an influx of almost 70,000 Syrian refugees fleeing fighting across the border.
Meanwhile, according to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (22.08.12), Turkish government officials have said that there is a possibility the defiant Syrian regime to be behind the recent attack in Gaziantep, despite a lack of evidence currently at hand.
"It's known that the (Kurdistan Workers' Party) PKK is working closely with the Syrian intelligence agency Mukhabarat. [Syrian President Bashar] al-Assad intends to see the PKK as its friend under the [idea that] 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend,'" ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy Chairman Huseyin Celik told daily Hurriyet in an article published yesterday. "The attack aimed to sabotage the social structure of Gaziantep, where half the population is Kurdish and lives in peace", Celik said. "While the PKK had the capability to handle such an attack on its own the organization could have also had support", he added.
Celik touched on the idea that the Syrian regime was in collaboration with the PKK in their fight against Turkey, but admitted that the idea was no more than a hypothesis. "We don't have accurate information yet. However, even though it's just an estimation, such a connection is conceivable" Celik said.
Meanwhile, Ankara Anatolia news agency (21.08.12) reported that the Turkish Premier Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President Abdullah Gul, Turkey's EU Minister Egemen Bagis, Turkey's Deputy Besir Atalay and other Turkish politicians issued statements condemning the deadly blast in Gaziantep.
Also, according to Turkish Cypriot daily Vatan (22.08.12), several Turkish Cypriot "officials" and NGO's in occupied Cyprus sent messages of condolences and condemned the terrorist attack in Gaziantep.
According to the paper, the Turkish Cypriot leader Eroglu and the so-called prime minister Kucuk sent messages of condolences to the Turkish Premier Erdogan and the Turkish President Gul.
Also, the "Alliance of Independence" in the occupied area of Cyprus which is composed by 33 NGO's as well as the "Religious commissary trade union" and the "War veterans association" issued separate written statements to condemn the attack.
 Turkey and US working group to meet over SyriaTurkish daily Today's Zaman (21.08.12) reported that, according to the Anatolia news agency, Turkish and US diplomats, military and intelligence officials will gather for the first time for talks on Syria on Wednesday. The meetings will take place at the Foreign Ministry in Ankara and will be closed to the press.
The gathering will be the first meeting of a working group announced during a visit by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to Istanbul on August 11. Speaking after talks with her Turkish counterpart, Ahmet Davutoglu, Clinton said the US-Turkish working group will be set up to plan a joint response to the Syrian crisis. "Our intelligence services, our military have very important responsibilities and roles to play so we are going to be setting up a working group to do exactly that," Clinton said in Istanbul.
The US delegation will be headed by Elizabeth Jones, a former Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs. The Turkish team will be led by a senior Foreign Ministry official, Anatolia said, without naming the official.
 Turkish Cypriots consider the increasing rate of crimes as their most important problemTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (22.08.12) reports that according to the results of "Standard Eurobarometer 77", a survey held by KADEM research company in the occupied area of Cyprus on behalf of the European Commission, the Turkish Cypriots consider the increasing rate of crimes as their most important problem, followed by unemployment and the economy.
According to the results of the survey, 48% of the respondents noted that they are concerned about the increasing number of crimes, 45% about unemployment and 35% about the deterioration of the economic situation.
Asked about their expectations for next year, 56% of the Turkish Cypriots said they were concerned that the economy will get worse.
41% of the Turkish Cypriots said they were satisfied with their lives, 40% said they were not very satisfied, 12% that they were not satisfied at all and only 7% said they were satisfied. During the Eurobarometer last year, 60% of the Turkish Cypriots had said that they were satisfied with their lives.
Asked about the situation of their households, 43% of the respondents said it was rather good, 34% rather bad, 16% very bad and only 6% very good.
KADEM used a sample of 500 persons older than 15 and the method of face to face interviews.
 More than one thousand shops in the occupied area of Cyprus took down the shutters because of the economic crisisTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris (22.08.12) reports on statements by the chairman of the "Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Tradesmen and Craftsmen" (KTEZO), Hurrem Tulga who has stated that because of the economic conditions, more than a thousand of working places in the occupied area of Cyprus took down the shutters during last year.
Underlining that all the sectors in the occupied area are collapsing, Tulga said that 1.700 cheques of shopkeepers were invalid during the previous year whereas 90% of the trade cases in the courts are related to tradesmen and producers.
Tulga accused the so-called authorities for the above mentioned situation and stressed the need for early elections to take place in the occupied area of Cyprus. He called the so-called assembly to convene in a extraordinary meeting and to give the start signal for early elections.
 A new hospital to be built in the occupied area of Cyprus by TurkeyUnder the front page title: "Gigantic state hospital to the TRNC", Turkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (22.08.12) reports that that "Turkish Embassy Aid Delegation" in the occupied area of Cyprus is planning to built a giant state hospital.
As the paper writes, allegations say that the project and the budget of the hospital which is planned to be built near the "International Cyprus University" (UKU), are already prepared. According to information acquired from reliable resources, the tender for the hospital which is planned to be built, will open in Turkey and all the investors from the "TRNC" who would like to participate to the tender should go to Turkey.
As the paper writes, the hospital to be built will be able to hospitalize a wide range of patients and patients from foreign countries.
 The occupancy rate of the hotels in the occupied area of Cyprus has been increased during the Bayram FeastAccording to illegal Bayrak television (21.08.12) the "chairman" of the "Cyprus Turkish Hoteliers' Union" Mehmet Dolmac? has confirmed the increase in hotel occupancy rates in the "TRNC", during the period of the Ramadan Feast. "There has been a significant increase in the occupancy rates of hotels in the TRNC", he said.
Dolmac? pointed out that 13 five-star hotels and 20 small hotels in the "TRNC" have reached 100 % occupancy rate during the Ramadan Bayram holiday.
He said the rest of the hotels have also seen a significant increase in their occupancy rates. Noting that tourism statistics of the whole summer season have been satisfactory, Dolmac? said that the launching of charter flights for European tourists has been a major factor.
He also noted that the results of a satisfaction survey conducted with tourists will be announced in October. Early results of the survey address the Turkish Cypriot's hospitality as the most important point of satisfaction.
"Yet environmental problems remain as a matter of complaint", he said.
 Tension and confusion at the Agios Dometios crossing point because of the last day of Bayram FeastTurkish Cypriot daily Afrika (22.08.12) reports that yesterday, the last day of the three-day holidays of the Turkish Cypriots who celebrated the Ramazan Feast, a conflux has been created at the Agios Dometios crossing point since a crowd of Turkish Cypriots wanted to visit the free areas of the Republic of Cyprus to pass their day.
The paper underlines the tension being created at the Agios Dometios crossing point because of the long queues of the cars and points out that a lot of citizens stressed the need for the opening of more crossing points.
The paper refers also to the proposal which was made in the past by the "mayor" of the occupied part of Lefkosia, Cemal Bulutoglulari for the opening of more crossing points, and wonders when this will be realized.
 Agia Trias Basilica church lacks of careUnder the title "Who will be interested in?", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (22.08.12) reports on the situation of the historical church of Agia Trias Basilica which is located in the occupied Agia Trias village in occupied Karpasia and writes that the church is vanished and that the mosaics of the church are lacking of proper care.
The paper writes that the Agia Trias Basicila was built during the 5th century and underlines that it is a place of attraction for many tourists. The paper however, writes that despite of this, the "state" does not show the necessary interest.
The residents of the occupied Agia Trias village call the "authorities" to show the necessary interest for the church.