|Friday, 7 August 2020|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 12-08-27
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No.: 164/12 Date: 25-27.8.12
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Human trafficking for 3.500 Turkish lirasTurkish Cypriot daily Haberdar newspaper (26.08.12) reports that a boat under the name of "Patriot" carrying the flag of the "TRNC", breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, departed from Latakia to carry a 7-member family of illegal migrants from Syria to the government controlled area of the Republic of Cyprus, but sank in the open sea of occupied Karpasia peninsula and the journey resulted to death. Noting that two of the refugees were children the paper writes that the captain of the boat Abdullah Temiz and his assistant Niyazi Korkmaz, who are accused of human trafficking, managed to swim to the shore and save themselves. Both were arrested and taken to "court" on Saturday. Moreover, the "police" arrested also Mustafa Korkmaz and Yunus Gulduran as suspects of the same crime.
Under the title "Trafficking for 3 thousand 500 Turkish liras", Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (27.08.12) reports that the "police" have arrested four persons and during the interrogations it was established that the arrested persons have been carrying out human trafficking since June. According to the paper, a person named A.T (40) with the encouragement of other persons named N.K (24), Z.S (41) and Y.G (31) carried one unknown couple (woman and man) from Cyprus Pearl vacation village in occupied Yialousa to Turkey for 3.500 Turkish liras (TL). The same person carried in August another five persons from occupied Platanissos village to the coast of Silifke in Turkey for six thousand US dollars. On 22 August he also departed from Platanissos went to Silifke and brought to occupied Platanissos five men for seven thousand US dollars.
 Reactions on Asil Nadir case continueUnder the title "The Greek Cypriots have a role", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (27.08.12) reports that former Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat has said that he had no doubt that the reason of the collapse of Polly Peck International (PPI) company was political. Talat shared on Facebook his views regarding the conviction of Turkish Cypriot businessman Asil Nadir by a British court in London.
Talat argued that "the investment by an international giant in a state that had been almost anathematized and declared illegal by the UN Security Council which asked for its non-recognition", was "unbelievable and unacceptable for the world". This giant which did not pay attention to the warnings should be lead to collapse, he alleged expressing the view that the 150 million pounds which Nadir had stolen were not enough to lead PPI to collapse. "It is true of course that the Greek Cypriot side had also a very serious role in the process, but the main force was capitalist West", he argued.
Noting that Nadir had been supporting the National Unity Party and Rauf Denktas and was his opponent, Talat added that in 2002 during the Annan Plan process they came closer with Nadir. "Asil Nadir might not love me. Of course, I do not have to love him too, but it is not possible to forget his contributions in the process that started in 2002", said Talat arguing that Nadir's support in the change of the image of the Turkish Cypriots in the world and the "history" that had been written, was very important.
Talat wished for the situation to change after the appeal which Nadir will file.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (26.08.12) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu commented also on the Asil Nadir case and alleged that the statements made by Greek Cypriot officials after Nadir's conviction "are an important sign that they are not meaning well". In statements during a visit to Asil Nadir's Kibris newspaper, Eroglu argued that Foreign Minister Markoulli's statement that the sentence was "ridiculous" was thought provoking.
Eroglu alleged that asking Nadir to be handed over to the Republic of Cyprus is a sign of "sly plans" and argued that these have a negative influence on the negotiations. Eroglu expressed the hope that Nadir is acquitted after the appeal he will file and referred to the contribution of Nadir to the economy of the breakaway regime.
In his statements during the meeting with Eroglu, Resat Akar, editor-in-chief of Kibris and general director of KIBRIS Media Group, argued that the statements asking for handing over Nadir to the Republic of Cyprus aimed at causing tension on the island and set aside the negotiations.
Meanwhile, according to Kibris (26.08.12), self-styled minister of finance, Ersin Tatar argued that Asil Nadir's imprisonment in Britain was an embargo imposed on the Turkish Cypriots. Tatar made these statements in Konya, expressing his gratitude to Turkey which, he said, is the only way out for the Turkish Cypriots.
On Saturday (25.08.12), Kibris also publishes statements by Eroglu, the leaders of Democratic Party, Freedom and Reform Party and Democracy and Trust Party, Serdar Denktas, Turgay Avci and Tahsin Ertugruloglu respectively as well as by self-styled minister of economy Sunat Atun, several organizations and lawyer Ali Riza Gorgun.
Everybody expressed their support to Nadir and refer to his contribution to the economy of the breakaway regime. Gorgun said that if Nadir is not given the opportunity to file an appeal, he would go to the European Court of Human Rights and be acquitted. Serdar Denktas noted that everybody expressed their regret for Nadir's imprisonment. He said that being sorry was not enough and added that everybody should carry out a campaign putting forward their so-called state and launch initiatives which will eliminate the influence of the Greek Cypriot so-called propaganda.
 Yildiz said they cannot carry our explorations for oil in Hakkari because of the KurdsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (26.08.12) reports that Taner Yildiz, Turkish Minister of Energy and Natural Resources, has said that they had found important quantities of oil in Hakkari area, but they could not launch explorations because of the "terror" in the area, as he described the conflicts between the members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) and the Turkish army.
In statements during visiting a drilling platform for natural gas in the open sea of Akcakoca, Yildiz argued that "both private sector and the Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO) could not launch drilling because of the terror".
He said they have increased by 13 times the resources they spend for drilling and explorations for oil and added they are carrying out drillings which extend in an area of 1700 kilometres from Edirne to Kars. He noted that next year they will start drilling for natural gas in Diyarbakir with a world leading company.
 CTP comments on Akca's and Ozgurgun's statementsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (26.08.12) reports that Asim Akansoy, general secretary of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP), has argued that no one has the right to cause tension in the relations between the Turkish Cypriots and Turkey. In statements to a television station on Saturday, Akansoy commented on the statements made recently by the Turkish so-called ambassador to the occupied part of Lefkosia, Halil Ibrahim Akca regarding the economy of the breakaway regime. Akansoy said he did not regard correct the "ambassador's" statements and called on Akca to "re-examine his position as needed by his diplomatic duties".
Akansoy argued that the relations between the "TRNC" and Turkey should be placed into a "normal framework" and expressed the view that tension will continue if this does not happen. He said that the Turkish Cypriots should establish the political, social and economic structure to administrate themselves.
Akansoy commented also on a statement made by the self-styled minister of foreign affairs, Huseyin Ozgurgun, who had argued that believing that a solution will be reached in Cyprus is tantamount to daydreaming. Akansoy said that such statements should not be made and added that something should be done for Cyprus which has no other choice than finding a solution. Noting that the situation in both communities of the island cannot continue, Akansoy argued that Cyprus has become a regional problem which should be solved. He added: "Everyone knows very well how the solution will be. It will be a bi-communal, bi-zonal system composed of two constituent states based on political equality. We have no chance of acting outside the UN's binding resolutions. This is the only condition of our becoming united with the world".
 Eroglu: It is not normal for a "prime minister" to ask the support of Turkey for his party's congressTurkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (27.08.12) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu has argued that he had never used the post of the "prime minister" to secure advantages in the National Unity Party (UBP). In statements yesterday to Star Kibris, Eroglu said that Irsen Kucuk announced his candidature for the post of UBP's chairman six months ago and that this candidature was followed by a similar announcement by Nazim Cavusoglu and Ahmet Kasif. Eroglu noted that Cavusoglu withdrew his candidature and that pressures were exerted on Kasif to do the same.
Arguing that it is normal for a "prime minister" to hold meetings with Turkey, Eroglu said that it is not normal, however, for a "prime minister" to ask the support of Turkey for his party's congress.
 Increase of the exports of the regime to Middle EastTurkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (27.08.12) reports that the breakaway regime imported goods of 327 million US dollars within the period January-October 2001 and exported goods of 102 million dollars. The paper writes that an increase of 6% in imports and 30% in exports was observed in comparison with the same period of 2010 and points out that the most exports of the regime are conducted to Turkey, which is followed by the Middle East countries.
According to the paper, vehicles are in the first place of the imports and citrus fruits in the first place of the exports. Increase is observed in the exports of citrus fruits and scrap during 2011. Halkin Sesi notes that the exports of citrus fruits to Iran have played an important role in the increase of the exports of the regime to the Middle East countries.
 The breakaway regime destroys occupied Pentadaktylos mountainsUnder the title "The environmental disaster of the century", Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (27.08.12) reports that the breakaway regime is destroying occupied Pentadaktylos Mountains. The paper refers to the existence of 39 quarries, which destroy the mountains and the forests every day with explosions. "Moreover, this destruction is carried out by the hand of the state", writes the paper, noting that these quarries cover an area of two million 651 square meters on the mountains.
 Ozbilenler says he will continue selling potatoes to the government-controlled area of the islandTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (27.08.12) reports that Unsal Ozbilenler, who has been selling potatoes to the government-controlled area of the Republic of Cyprus for years, has stated that the trade he is carrying out is in harmony with the Green Line Regulation. Referring to the recent protest of some Greek Cypriot potato producers, who alleged that the Turkish Cypriot potatoes had more pesticides than they should, Ozbilenler argued that the reason of this protest was the wish of some Greek Cypriot producers to stock up potatoes, decrease the quantity of the potatoes in the market and increase their price.
Noting that the markets in the government-controlled area realized this situation and started asking for Turkish Cypriot potatoes, Ozbilenler noted that his potatoes have been examined by the authorities of the Republic of Cyprus and proved to be clean. He noted that within the few next weeks, he will start again to sell potatoes to the government controlled area of the Republic.
 "Tensions fuel debate over Syrian refugees"Under the above title, Turkish Hurriyet Daily News (27.08.12, online) reports the following: "The rapid increase in the number of Syrians fleeing from ongoing violence has brought many of the problems surrounding hosting refugees to the surface as residents living in the host cities of refugee camps, begin to reveal their discontent.
While a member of the main Syrian opposition group blames the diversity of Syrian refugees for recent incidents, some locals in the southern city of Hatay say they are fed up.
'Two of the rebels climbed to the balcony of our house and started to observe the house,' a local from Dikmece village, located 10 kilometers away from the city center, was quoted as saying in daily Hurriyet yesterday. 'We complain to the authorities but nothing happens.'
Adding to the already tense situation was the refusal of main opposition deputies' to visit a refugee camp.
Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal K?l?cdaroglu slammed the government yesterday, after a party delegation was not allowed to visit the Apayd?n refugee camp near Hatay, which hosts defected Syrian soldiers.
'I sent our deputies to check out the camp, which was said to be full of agents and spies,' K?l?cdaroglu said while in the central Anatolian province of Afyonkarahisar. 'But the authorities said you cannot enter this camp. Now I expect an answer from the government: 'What is in that camp? Who are you training in that camp? Are you raising men to spill Muslims' blood?'
Kocaeli deputy Hursit Gunes said they couldn't get the required authorization from the Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate (AFAD). 'There are claims over this camp that defected soldiers are being trained and given weapons and sent back to Syria,' Gunes said, adding that he will follow up the issue when he returns to Ankara.
Turkey is currently home to nearly 80,000 Syrians who have fled violence in their country since March 2011. Turkeys representative of the Syrian National Council (SNC) said that the number of Syrian pro-government militiamen who fled to Turkey during the heavy clashes in Aleppo, have increased rapidly in the last 10 days.
Regarding the recent news reports that locals of the southern city of Hatay were causing disturbance in the city, Khaled Khoja said there were some skirmishes between local villagers and Syrian refugees here and there, but that it would be a mistake to reflect these incidents as a "general fact.'
'Especially after the heavy clashes in Aleppo; many pro-al-Assad militiamen have also fled to Turkey. The Turkish government would not be able to know who was pro-government or who was anti. They accept all the refugees who said they escaped from the violence. And right now there are many Shabbihas staying in these refugee camps in the southern cities of Hatay and Kilis,' Khoja told the Hurriyet Daily News yesterday.
Khoja said besides pro-Assad forces, there are all kinds of ethnic groups staying in the refugee camps in Turkey. 'There might sometimes be skirmishes and disturbances because of this mixed social structure in these camps, however this must not be generalized,' he said".
 "Syrian camps in Hatay may be relocated"Under the above title, Turkish Today's Zaman newspaper (26.08.12, online ) reported the following:
"Syrians fleeing violence in their country being housed in camps in the province of Hatay may soon be transferred to other cities, due to tensions that have allegedly arisen between them and some Turks in the province.
Gazi M?s?rl?, a Syrian who acts as a consultant to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, reportedly visited Hatay on Sunday to try to persuade the representatives of Syrians settled in camps there, to move from the province.
In recent weeks, recurrent conflicts between residents of Hatay and the Syrians have been reported, including Syrians allegedly refusing to pay bills at restaurants, bus fare or rent for properties, although they are required to do so.
Locals have complained that the Syrians are rude in their conduct and do not obey rules.
Some Syrians who are claimed to have entered Turkey illegally have rented apartments in Hatay with the help of relatives here. In some cases, 20 people are living in the same apartment. Some are said to have declined to pay rent due on the properties. People in Hatay are fearful that these Syrians may have been prisoners in their home country who were released during the uprising. Turkish residents of Hatay report feeling afraid to leave their houses at night, and in certain districts prefer to keep their children at home, even during the day.
Hasan Akgol, a Hatay deputy from the Republican People's Party (CHP), has confirmed the tensions in Hatay. But he stresses that people in Hatay have no difficulties with Syrian refugees fleeing the civil war and now living in camps; rather, it is the Syrians who have rented apartments in Hatay that people are concerned about. "People in Hatay don't know if these people are really from Syria. With their identity being unknown in most cases, they may also be from Libya, or from some other Arab country," he told Today's Zaman.
Akgol does not believe that moving the camps to different cities would solve the problem, as he suspects similar problems would arise at new campsites. He particularly emphasizes that the camp in the village of Apayd?nl? in Hatay -- to which two CHP deputies, Hursit Gunes and Suleyman Celebi, were denied entry on Saturday, and where officers who have deserted the Syrian Armed Forces are said to stay -- should be closed down. Making reference to claims published in the European media regarding the camp, Gunes said, standing at the entrance to the camp, "It's claimed that the dissident soldiers deserting the Syrian army who live in this camp are being sent back to Syria after being provided with arms."
According to Idris Bal, a deputy from Justice and Development Party (AK Party), refugee camps near the border area may also present security problems for Turkey, as some individuals could be connected to Syrian intelligence or members of terrorist organizations infiltrating the camps in a bid to sow conflict in Turkey. "Should there be serious tension, it would be good for the camps to be removed to some other city as an emergency measure, but a lasting solution for this problem would be a buffer zone on Syrian territory," Bal remarked to Today's Zaman.
There are also claims that Syrians represent a threat to Alevi citizens, who are disturbed by the presence of unfamiliar, intimidating faces in Hatay, bearing the message, "Your turn will also come." In return, Alevi citizens in Hatay are thought to harbor negative attitudes towards Syrian refugees, and would prefer that they did not live in Hatay.
According to data provided by the Turkish Prime Ministry's Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate, 11,062 Syrian refugees live in five camps in Hatay. Syrians who arrived in Hatay illegally are not included in this figure". TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION