|Monday, 18 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 12-11-22
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 227/12 22.11.12
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Eroglu characterized as unacceptable and wrong the non-invitation of Akca to UN's reception; Eroglu: "If repeated our reaction will be the same"According to illegal Bayrak television (21.11.12) the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu has said that the fact that the "Turkish ambassador" to the occupied part of Lefkosia was not invited to a 'New Year's' reception hosted by the UN Special Adviser for heads of foreign missions on the island, was absolutely unacceptable.
"It was wrong for guarantor Turkey's representative not to be invited. If repeated our reaction will be the same" he said.
(?)Reminding that a similar incident had occurred at a reception hosted on the occasion of the opening of the Yesilirmak [occupied Limnitis] crossing point, Eroglu said that the UN had withdrawn its invitations following the Turkish Cypriot side's reaction. "Although I had initially confirmed to Mr Downer that I would be attending last night's reception, upon learning later on that the Turkish ambassador had been excluded from the list of foreign Ambassadors invited to the reception, I informed the UN Special Adviser through my special representative Osman Ertug that I would not be attending under such circumstances. Mr Ertug attended the reception only to convey our reaction and protest" he said.
Pointing out that Turkey is one of the three guarantor countries in Cyprus, Eroglu said that as frequently reminded to UN officials, this was an unacceptable matter for the Turkish Cypriot side.
 Turkish Cypriot businessman expresses satisfaction over turning an occupied Greek Cypriot property into TurkishUnder the title "'Compensations' work", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (22.11.12) reports that the sum of 3.4 million pounds sterling has been paid to the Greek Cypriot owner of the 35 donums [Translator's note: A donum is a land measure of 1000 square meters] of the 100-donum property, on which Acapulco tourism installation is located in occupied Keryneia and thus one third of this installation has become Turkish property. Acapulco is a five-star installation managed by businessman Unal Caginer, who stated that "the job we did is completely legal and we turned a Greek property into a Turkish property".
Caginer said that they secured a loan from Turkey's Is Bankasi bank on this issue. Expressing his satisfaction for the agreement, he added: "I feel proud of this purchase, as in all the investments I make in this country. I turned a Greek property into a Turkish property".
Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (22.11.12) also refers to the issue and writes that the property belonged to Greek Cypriot Akinita Adelfon Odysseos Ltd company and notes that Caginer Group of Companies owns Acapulco Hotel Resort and Convention and SPA as well as Akgunler Tourism Ltd company. In statements to Yeni Duzen, Caginer expressed the hope that all the hotels, which are located in the occupied area of Cyprus and the buildings or the lands on which they are constructed belong to Greek Cypriots, will become Turkish Cypriot property. He said that due to the agreement he made, they will be able to market Acapulco in Europe without facing any obstacles.
Under the title "Acapulco is Turkish land now", Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (22.11.12) reports that Acapulco Hotel has a two thousand bed capacity and notes that the agreement made between Caginer and the Greek Cypriot owner of the property has been approved by the "Property Compensation Commission" and the self-styled council of ministers. According to the paper, the Greek Cypriot owner of the property is doing business in Greece and faces economic difficulties.
 Atasayan addressed Muslim Ministers of Education in SudanTurkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (22.11.12) reports that Mutlu Atasayan, self-styled minister of education, youth and sports of the breakaway regime, addressed yesterday the Sixth Islamic Conference of Ministers of Higher Education and Scientific Research organized in Sudan by the Islamic Education Science and Culture Organization (ISESCO), which has been established by the member-states of the Organization for Islamic Cooperation.
In his speech, Atasayan alleged that the lifting of the so-called isolation of the Turkish Cypriots is more necessary than ever now, because "time has come for the international community to see that the Turkish side is not the one that prevents the solution in Cyprus and that the Greek Cypriot side implements delaying tactics in the Cyprus talks".
Atasayan expressed his satisfaction with participating in the meeting and thanked OIC's general secretary, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu for the "unrequited" support he offers to the "cause" of the Turkish Cypriots and the "honorable causes of the Muslims".
Atasayan expressed his satisfaction with the decision for Cyprus taken at the 38th Meeting of OIC's Ministers of Foreign Affairs held in Astana in June 2011. He argued that the "embargoes" and the restrictions allegedly implemented on the Turkish Cypriots are not limited only in the field of education, but include sectors such as tourism and trade. He claimed, inter alia, the following: "The aim here is to isolate north Cyprus, prevent its economic development and deprive the Turkish Cypriot people from its right of becoming unified with the international community. These initiatives of the Greek Cypriot side lack any kind of legal and ethical grounds".
Referring to the negotiations for reaching a solution to the Cyprus problem, Atasayan alleged that the Turkish Cypriot side was ready for a solution within the framework of the established UN parameters. "A bi-zonality which is not watered down, the political equality of the two peoples, the equal status of the two founding states and the continuation of Turkey's active and effective guarantees are the fundamental conditions of a just and lasting solution", he alleged reiterating the Turkish claim that the Greek Cypriots are responsible for the non-solution in Cyprus and that the negotiating process should not continue with open end.
According to the paper, in spite of the fact that the breakaway regime participates in ISESCO as an observer, Atasayan was placed in the part of the room where the member states were located.
 Joost Korte: "Our goal is to lift the 'isolations' by helping the Turkish Cypriot's economic development and serve towards the reunification of the island"Illegal Bayrak television (21.11.12) broadcast that the rehabilitation project concerning the Dikmen [occupied Dikomo] Dump was finalized and the dump site was handed over to the Turkish Cypriot "authorities" today.
The closure and rehabilitation project was launched in July 2010 and funded by the EU Commission under the Financial Assistance Regulation introduced for the Turkish Cypriots.
Attending the handover ceremony, so-called prime minister Irsen Kucuk pointed to the further development of relations with the EU in the past 2 years and said that grants have been included in the 2013 budget for more joint projects with the EU. "Refinement in the Haspolat region [occupied Mia Milia] as well as projects concerning animal diseases are included in future plans", Kucuk said.
"We as the TRNC do not see ourselves far away from the EU. The Turkish Cypriots want peace in Cyprus but peace doesn't depend on our willingness only. Both peoples of the island should work together", Kucuk further said.
Also speaking at the ceremony, the Deputy Director General of the EU Commission's Enlargement Directorate General Joost Korte said that their goal was to lift the "isolations" by helping the Turkish Cypriot "people's" economic development and serve towards the reunification of the island.
 Eroglu met with EU and US officialsAccording to illegal Bayrak television (21.11.12) the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Erogly met with the EU Commission for Enlargement's Deputy Director General Joost Korte and with the EU Commission's Desk for Turkish Cypriots Georges Ziegler.
Later in the afternoon, Eroglu met also with the US Ambassador to "south Cyprus", as the Republic of Cyprus is called, John Koenig.
Eroglu's so-called special representative Osman Ertug and the so-called presidential undersecretary Hasan Gungor were present at the meetings.
No statements were issued to the press before or after the meetings.
 AORA solar energy firm to invest in the breakaway regimeTurkish Cypriot daily Haberdar newspaper (22.11.12) reports about the environmentally friendly AORA solar energy firm which is seeking to make an investment in the occupied area of Cyprus.
AORA officials visited yesterday Haberdar's headquarters, explaining their investments goals, noting that their main obstacle is the bureaucracy of the breakaway regime.
The firm made various investments in Turkey and Mexico.
 Turkish Cypriots living in the UK want to remove the Chairman of the Cyprus All Party Parliamentary Group of the UK from his positionTurkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris (22.10.12) reports that a group of Turkish Cypriots who live in the UK started a sign campaign in order to remove David Burrowes, MP with the Conservative Party from his position as the Chairman of the Cyprus All Party Parliamentary Group of the UK.
The Turkish Cypriot group claims that Burrowes does not reflect in a balanced way the situation as regards the Cyprus problem and fails to see the "realities" in the island. In addition, the group claims that despite having contacts with both Turkish and Greek Cypriots, Burrowes openly accepts only the views of the Greek Cypriot lobby.
 EuroparlTV signed a cooperation protocol with Kanal SimTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (22.11.12) reports that EuroparlTV, the web television of the European Parliament signed a cooperation protocol with Kanal Sim, during a ceremony held in Strasburg.
According to the protocol signed, Kanal Sim is allowed to use any kind of material produced by EuroparlTV.
 DP and TDP seek early "elections" in occupied CyprusUnder the front-page title: "The time has come", Turkish Cypriot daily Ortam (22.11.12) reports that the Communal Democracy Party (TDP) has organized last night an event called "Government Manifesto" under the slogan "The time has come".
As the paper writes, speaking during the event, the chairman of TDP, Mehmet Cakici, stated, inter alia, that the party's manifesto includes totally 67 articles. He asked also from the "people" to give to the Communal Democracy Party the right for a single-handed government. He also expressed their readiness to come into power and assured that when this happen, they will accomplish all the promises they gave.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Bakis (22.11.12) reports that the chairman of the Democratic Party (DP) Serdar Denktas has launched an election campaign the day before yesterday, starting first from occupied Keryneia.
According to the paper, speaking during a meeting of DP in occupied Keryneia, Denktas reiterated that the "early elections" are inevitable and expressed the belief that early elections will take place in the occupied area of Cyprus next March.
Stating that their aim is a "TRNC" that would be able to stand on its own feet, Denktas said that the party's goal is to create a new "government" and thus he called on the "people" to give their vote to DP.
 Yektaoglu: "113 tons of fish were given to the 'south'"Under the above title, Turkish Cypriot daily Kibrisli (22.11.12) reports on statements by Mustafa Yektaoglu, "MP" with the Republican Turkish Party-United Forces (CTP-BG), in the occupied part of Lefkosia, who in a speech during a meeting of the so-called "committee for economy, finance, budget and planning" has inter alia, said that the occupation regime's income from selling fish to the Greek Cypriot side is sufficient and added that for this year, a total of 113 tons of fish were given to the Greek Cypriot side.
Yektaoglu added that they have received 2,5 million euro from selling fish to the Greek Cypriot side.
 Turkey submitted its officials request to NATO for the deployment of Patriot system to TurkeyTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (22.11.12) reports that Turkey has officially made its long-expected request to NATO for the deployment of Patriot missile systems along its Syrian border after it received guarantees that its demand would be unequivocally approved by the allies. In return, Turkey guaranteed that the deployment would only be defensive and that it would not "support a no-fly zone or any offensive operation."
"Our request has been formally raised through a letter, which we submitted today at NATO. The NATO Council will shortly convene to address our request," the Foreign Ministry said in a written statement issued yesterday afternoon, citing threats and risks posed by the continuing crisis in Syria as the reason for the move. "A decision has been taken to formally request that NATO support the augmentation of our national air defense by allied air defense elements."
A simultaneous statement from NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen underlined that the military alliance would discuss Turkey's request "without delay." "Such a deployment would augment Turkey's air defense capabilities to defend the population and territory of Turkey. It would contribute to the de-escalation of the crisis along NATO's south-eastern border," he said.
Rasmussen said the Turkish government stressed that the deployment would not be used in a way to support a no-fly zone, a military precaution Turkey has sought since one of its jets was downed by Syria in June. "If approved, the deployment would be undertaken in accordance with NATO's standing air defense plan. It is up to the individual NATO countries that have available Patriots ? Germany, the Netherlands and the United States ? to decide if they can provide them for deployment in Turkey and for how long. Next week, a joint team will visit Turkey to conduct a site survey for the possible deployment of Patriots," Rasmussen said. (?) TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION