|Saturday, 7 December 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 13-01-18
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 13/13 18.01.13
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 The Greek Cypriot cemetery in occupied Lapythos is destroyed; Bones are thrown in the garbageTurkish Cypriot daily Kibrisli newspaper (18.01.13) reports that the Greek Cypriot cemetery in occupied Lapythos village has been destroyed as a result of initiatives by Fuat Namsoy, so-called mayor of occupied Lapythos and general secretary of the National Unity Party (UBP). According to information cited by Kibrisli, the decision for destroying the cemetery was taken four years ago by Namsoy and his team.
Diggers and bulldozers destroyed the cemetery and the church which was inside it, writes the paper adding that the stones of the Greek Cypriot graves are broken and thrown into the building of the destroyed church of the cemetery.
The bones which had been taken out of the cemetery were thrown into the garbage, notes Kibrisli adding that the fact that no one said anything about Namsoy's actions drew attention.
The paper writes that it is certain that the Greek Cypriots will carry the issue to the bi-communal committee for the cultural heritage and to the European Parliament.
 Saner says investments in illegal Tumvou airport will be completed within four yearsTurkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (18.01.13) reports that Ersan Saner, self-styled minister of public works and transport of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has said that the investments in illegal Tymvou airport will be completed within four years, that 350 million Euros will be spent and that after the investments are completed the occupied area of Cyprus will have a modern airport.
In statements to illegal Bayrak television, Saner evaluated the work of his "ministry" in 2012 and explained the projects planned for 2013. He said that the target for 2013 on the issue of the highways is not to leave any point in the occupied area which is not reachable with a road. He noted that the highest item in the "budget" of his so-called ministry will be spent in this field.
Referring to the 350 million-Euro investment in the illegal Tymvou airport, Saner noted that 100 million Euros of this money have already been paid to the breakaway regime and the rest 250 million Euros will be paid in four years. He noted that the company that won the tender should submit to the regime its working plan within 20 days after the handover ceremony. He alleged that they have better technical equipment than the airports in the government-controlled area of Cyprus and that they offer much better services in the field of aviation.
 So-called minister Ustel due to London to promote the occupation regime's tourism for 2013Ankara Anatolia news agency (17.01.13) reported from London that the so-called minister of tourism, environment and culture Unal Ustel held a press conference at the London "representation of the TRNC".
Having arrived in London to promote the tourism sector of the "TRNC in 2013", Ustel said the following: "We aim to increase the number of British tourists visiting the TRNC in 2013," adding that "125 red buses and 125 black taxi cabs in London were decorated with colorful ads of the TRNC".
Meanwhile, the black taxi cabs in London will have promotional books on the "TRNC".
"TRNC's Representative in London", Oya Tuncali was also present during Ustel's press conference.
 Talat: 15 persons are granted the "citizenship" in every meeting of the "cabinet"; Turkey interferes in everything in occupied CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (18.01.13) reports that the former Turkish Cypriot leader, Mehmet Ali Talat has argued that recently the National Unity Party's (UBP) self-styled government, had not employed persons according to the needs of the regime.
In statements to a television station, Talat said yesterday that the above-mentioned decisions were made in order for "prime minister" Irsen Kucuk to win the race for the presidency of the UBP. He described as strange the fact that Turkey did not interfere in the issue, in spite of the protocol signed with the regime and in spite of the fact that Ankara interferes in everything in the occupied area of Cyprus, regardless of whether it is necessary to do this or not. "If these employments are made for Mr Irsen Kucuk to win and nothing is said about it, it is a shame", he noted.
Replying to a question on the issue of the "citizenship" of the regime, Talat said that according to information published in the press, 15 persons are averagely granted the "citizenship" in every meeting of the "council of ministers" and noted that "these are definitely not legal".
Talat noted that there are persons, who "have not showed up" and are granted the "citizenship" by the self-styled ministry of interior. He added that the number of these persons is not known. He argued that if a permanent residence "permit" is given to these persons, many problems regarding the "citizenship" issue will be solved and the demographic structure of the occupied area of Cyprus will be protected.
Referring to the Cyprus problem, Talat said that the problem has now become a problem of the world and the UN, and added that within this framework, partition of the island council not happen. He argued that the supporters of partition have also understood this reality.
 Pressure over Kasif from Turkey to withdraw its candidacy becoming intensifiedTurkish Cypriot daily Volkan newspaper (18.01.13) reports on the crisis in the National Unity Party (UBP) and writes that as the date of the final ruling of the self-styled supreme court approaches regarding the conducting of a second election round for the party's leadership, pressure over Ahmet Kasif from Turkey to withdraw its candidacy, is becoming intensified.
According to the paper, the "ambassador" of Turkey to the breakaway regime Halil Ibrahim Akca and of MIT "TRNC" representative at the so-called embassy Ender Onkol, are trying to persuade Kasif to withdraw its candidacy and are trying to make other UBP members to support "prime minister" Irsen Kucuk.
Akca stated that Kasif should not run for the position, otherwise, even if he is elected he will not be able to perform its duties. On his part, Onkol is said to call on UBP members not to support Kasif and that they should preach him towards removing his candidacy, noting that this is the wish of Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan, the demands of whom Onkol is conveying to the UBP members.
However, writes the paper, Kasif issued a statement noting that he will not back out from the race and called on UBP members to advocate their own party.
 CFA and the CTFA held yesterday a second meeting; hopes for an agreement were expressed from both sidesUnder the title: "Both are hopeful", Turkish Cypriot daily Haberdar (18.01.13) reports in its sport-pages that the second meeting between the Turkish Cypriot Football Federation (CTFA) and the Cyprus Football Association (CFA) took place yesterday morning at the offices of the "Turkish Cypriot Football Federation".
As the paper writes, the aim of the meeting was to find a solution on the issue of the openings that KOP will make abroad towards the country's football.
Officials from FIFA and UEFA attended also the meeting, writes the paper.
Meanwhile, under the title: "Unification of Cyprus possible in football", Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (18.01.13) refers to the issue as follows: "Football officials on the divided island of Cyprus stated yesterday that there was progress in efforts to put Greek and Turkish Cypriot teams under one roof for the first time in over 50 years.
Officials from the Greek Cyprus Football Association (CFA) travelled north across the UN-patrolled ceasefire line to meet Turkish Cypriot counterparts to end the current politically enforced segregation. This follow-up meeting from December was also attended by representatives from world and European governing bodies FIFA and UEFA respectively.
'I want to thank FIFA and UEFA for their interest. After this meeting, I think we are closer to an agreement than we were before it," CFA chairman Costakis Koutsokoumnis told reporters. 'There is a large light at the end of the tunnel,' he added. He said both sides would now hold discussions on the matter in Zurich, Switzerland sometime in March.
But the CFA chief said also that any deal would have to be ratified by the members of the two football associations.
Turkish Cypriot football association Chief Hasan Sertoglu said that after yesterday's meeting, both sides were closer to an agreement. 'I hope that in the near future we will be able to bridge some differences which still exist', he said".
 Bagis continues talks in Sweden; he asked for the "lifting" of the so-called embargoesAnkara Anatolia news agency (17.01.13) reported from Stockholm that Turkey's European Union Minister and Chief Negotiator for accession talks Egemen Bagis met separately with his Swedish counterpart Eva Birgitta Ohlsson Klamberg as well as with International Development and Cooperation Minister Gunilla Carlsson in Stockholm on Thursday.
Bagis also visited the "TRNC's" representative office in Stockholm.
Delivering a speech, Bagis said that the "embargoes" and "isolations" imposed on the "TRNC" could not be accepted. "If Annan plan had been approved, a United Cyprus state could have been one of the most prosperous in the world now", he said.
"Greek Cypriots have been suffering from a very serious economic crisis due to their wrong attitude", the EU minister said adding the following: "If a reasonable government came into power in elections to be held in the Greek Cypriot side in February and this government pursued a right policy, we would support steps that would be taken. We will support a solution based on a political equality to be approved by TRNC people and Greek Cypriots," he said.
Later Bagis departed from Sweden for Turkey.
 Havadis newspaper to open an office in AnkaraUnder the title: "Important day for Havadis", Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (18.01.13) reports that the paper will inaugurate today its office in Ankara.
As the paper writes, the paper will open today its office in Ankara with an inauguration ceremony. Havadis office will be inaugurated by the so-called foreign minister Huseyin Ozgurgun and Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Responsible for Cyprus Affairs Besir Atalay.
 Peaceful funeral for three assassinated Kurdish women took place yesterday in Diyarbakir; messages of peace by Kurdish politiciansTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (18.01.13) reports that a peaceful ceremony was held yesterday in Diyarbak?r to bid farewell to the three Kurdish women killed in central Paris last week. Tens of thousands of people march in the city as Kurdish politicians give messages of peace.
Despite worries of possible provocations and sabotage that would turn the ceremony into a violent protest, the gathering was peaceful. Women's coffins were covered with the flags of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
Speaking at the ceremony, Kurdish politicians, including Ahmet Turk ? an independent Deputy and head of the Kurdish umbrella organization Democratic Society Congress (DTK) ? as well as Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) co-chair Selahattin Demirtas, denounced military operations against Kandil mountain in northern Iraq, where PKK militants are based, once again stressing that Kurdish people demand peace, not war.
"Making peace is not possible while making war at the same time," Demirtas said.
The women's bodies arrived in Diyarbak?r late January 16 and their transfer from Diyarbakir airport to the morgue of a private hospital turned into a mass demonstration as thousands of people poured into the streets to accompany the hearses carrying the bodies. A flag of the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK), the urban wing of the PKK, was raised on a flagpole in the hospital's garden after the bodies were brought to the hospital.
Wrapped in PKK flags, the coffins were brought to Diyarbakir's Bat?kent Square, where the ceremony was held, escorted by thousands of people carrying posters of the murdered PKK members. Banners read: "We are all Sakine, Leyla and Fidan," and slogans such as "The PKK is the people, the people are here," and "martyrs never die," were chanted. After the coffins arrived at Bat?kent Square, white pigeons symbolizing peace were released.
In speeches expressing their sorrow, Kurdish politicians stressed that peace is their initial demand despite their grief. "Everybody is expecting sensitivity from us. But here, our people have shown that they are ready for peace although we have lost three of our comrades. But peace can be possible with mutual respect," Turk said.
The senior politician also said it was impossible to speak of peace when Kandil mountain is being bombarded by Turkish jets. "I'm appealing to those who call on us to be sensitive for peace. Mr. Prime Minister, how can you talk about peace while Kandil is being bombarded? What kind of peace is being sought with this?" Turk said.
Demirtas said people in the square were demanding an "honorable peace." "As mothers bid farewell to their children, they did not promise revenge. They demand peace. When will the world understand this stance? And when will the government understand this?" Demirtas said.
(?) Demirtas, however, reiterated his party's support of recent talks officials held with Abdullah Ocalan, the jailed leader of the PKK. "We support the resolution proposal that Mr. Ocalan has introduced or will introduce."
"I'm appealing to those who seek to resolve this problem by negotiating with us; Kurdish people are backing us. Kurdish people back talks with Ocalan. Kurdish people demand peace even during funeral ceremonies. We see our people as the assurance of peace. And the government should take a concrete step to show that they back peace," Demirtas also said.
 Public survey in Turkey presents AKP to be the first party with 54%, if elections were to take place todayUnder the front-page title: "54% to AKP", Turkish daily Sabah newspaper (18.01.13) reports on the results of a survey conducted by KONDA Research Company in Turkey according to which if elections were to take place today in Turkey, the Justice and Development Party would receive 53.6%, the Republican People's Party (CHP) 21.7%, the Nationalist Movement Party 12.3%, the Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) 7.2% and other parties 5.2%.
According to the paper, the survey has been conducted during December 2012 in 28 provinces of Turkey with a sample of 2511 people.
Commenting on the survey, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inter alia, said: "I call your attention. This survey is not a normal survey being conducted by us. These figures come up by a survey which was conducted by a company which is not of those who conduct opinion polls for us. So, the figures are very important. This result shows the kindness of the nation to the AK party. This people love us (...)", Erdogan said.
 Muharrem Yilmaz the new chairman of TUSIADAnkara Anatolia news agency (17.01.13) reported that Muharrem Yilmaz was elected on Thursday the new President of the Executive Board of Turkish Industrialists' and Businessmen's Association (TUSIAD).
Yilmaz was elected unanimously and replaced Umit Boyner as TUSIAD head.
Yilmaz was born in the north-western province of Bursa on August 2, 1957. Yilmaz is a graduate of the Faculty of Economics at the Uludag University. He has been serving as the CEO of family owned Sutas Company since 2005 when his father passed away.
 Journalist Mehmet Ali Birand passed awayTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (17.01.13) reported that Mehmet Ali Birand, a well-known Turkish journalist, Hurriyet Daily News columnist and chief news editor of private channel Kanal D, passed away late today in hospital after undergoing surgery.
Birand had undergone a laparoscopic cholecystectomy in order to replace a stent at the American Hospital in Istanbul on January 16.
Birand's son, Umur Birand, announced the news of his father's passing late today on private channel CNNTurk.
The journalist, 72 years old, had been receiving cancer treatment for a long period.
Birand, who began his career at daily Milliyet in 1964, had become a legendary figure in Turkish journalism. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION