|Wednesday, 27 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 14-02-24
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 37/14 22-24.02.14
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Nami evaluated his contacts in Brussels and stated: Maras is part of a comprehensive solutionIllegal Bayrak television (21.02.14) broadcast that the self-styled foreign minister Ozdil Nami evaluated his recent contacts in Brussels and said that there are no changes in the Turkish Cypriot side's views regarding the closed city of Varosha: "It is still part of a comprehensive solution", he stated.
On his visits to Brussels, Nami said that he asked for assistance from EU officials regarding the adoption of the EU legislation by the breakaway regime and its implementation.
"There is a need for the Cyprus Turkish founding state to be prepared for the adoption and implementation of the EU legislation otherwise the Green Line may remain even after a solution is found and the EU acquis communautaire may be delayed in the north", he stated.
Explaining that he had called for EU officials to create a stronger mechanism to be established in order for the "north" to be able to harmonize with EU norms, Nami said that when the EU Commissioner for Enlargement and Neighbourhood Policy Stephan Fule comes to the island in April, the issue will be taken up further.
Drawing attention to the fact that in practice the EU should give support to the comprehensive solution workings Nami said: "In order for this to happen then direct contact is inevitable".
 Siber: Varosha could be opened in return for something elseTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (21.02.14) reported that the self-style speaker of the "assembly", Sibel Siber who addressed the general assembly of the 9th Parliamentary Union Conference of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation in Tehran, evaluated her contacts in Iran and made statements regarding Varosha.
She said that the conference was very fruitful as she had found the opportunity to meet with many member countries parliamentary speakers and OIC officials. She claimed that she was regarded as the "TRNC Parliamentary speaker" and "the representative of a state" and added that the country delegations and representatives showed great interest in the "TRNC parliamentary delegation".
Stressing that lobbying efforts carried out by Turkey in favour of the breakaway regime are important, Siber said that her contacts had been fruitful thanks to the efforts of the Speaker of the Turkish Grand National Assembly Cemil Cicek. Speaking about the importance of recognition Siber said: "Negotiations has started and in the case of an agreement there will be a federation. We support the solution but in the meantime we do exist". Siber said that their demand is not "recognition of TRNC" but to work for lifting the embargoes and ending the isolation.
Answering to a question about TRNC's redlines Siber said: "We will not give up on Turkey's guarantor-ship, bi-zonality, and autonomy regarding internal affairs" Also asked about Varosha she said the following: "There are two discussions around Varosha. One statement is 'Varosha is a part of comprehensive solution and the other one is Varosha can be opened in return for something else. If Varosha will be opened, that will bring benefits to both sides, it can be opened under Turkish control as a confidence building measure. But these topics require further negotiations", said Siber.
 Denktas: Conditions are not appropriate for the solutionTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (24.02.14) reports that Serdar Denktas, self-styled deputy prime minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has argued that the reason for the recent activity in the Cyprus problem is the interference from foreign powers and added that caution is needed from now on. In statements to illegal TAK news agency, Denktas claimed that the conditions are not appropriate for the solution of the Cyprus problem.
Denktas said that he is trying to draw attention to what he called as "artificial expectations" which some ones exert efforts to create in the Turkish Cypriots and argued: "We are not in a situation which promises so many hopes".
Denktas noted that they are following the statements made in the government-controlled area of the Republic of Cyprus and added: "The statements they make are far outside our view as regards the solution".
Denktas recalled a statement made by President Anastasiades who allegedly said that "the Turkish Cypriots have individual rights now with their EU citizenship". Denktas alleged: "The Turkish Cypriots have communal rights. They will not have communal rights any more. We will continue with the individual EU citizenship rights. This means that we have lost our communal rights, it means that we have lost our future. We have to take this into consideration".
Denktas noted that they have "very close relation" with the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu that they constantly exchange views regarding the negotiations process and that they will react when they feel something contrary to the interests of the community at the negotiating table.
Referring to the debates regarding the demand of the self-styled foreign minister Ozdil Nami to participate in Eroglu's negotiating team, Denktas said that during former Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat's period, he had been "foreign minister", but he was not in the "kitchen", as he described the negotiations. He argued that the "authority" for this belongs to the "president" and added that if Nami has such a demand now, this is not correct. He said that the duty of the "foreign minister" is to explain abroad the views put by the "president" at the table by using his relations.
 Izcan: Eroglu and the "government" harm the process by making statements contrary to the content of the agreed joint declarationTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (23.02.14) reports that Izzet Izcan, chairman of the United Cyprus Party (BK)), has said that Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu and the self-styled government of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of Cyprus harm the process for finding a solution to the Cyprus problem by making statements and behaving contrary to the agreed text of the joint declaration.
In a written statement issued yesterday, Izcan points out that Eroglu "deceives both himself and the community" by saying that the guarantees will continue, two separate sovereignties will exist and not a single soldier and Turkish settler will go away.
Izcan noted that the statements made by self-styled foreign minister, Ozdil Nami and the so-called speaker of the "assembly", Sibel Siber are the same with the statements made by Eroglu. Izcan went on and said:
"The foreign minister Nami says that Varosha is part of the comprehensive solution, in spite of the UN Security Council's Resolution 550. During her contacts in Iran, the speaker of the assembly Siber goes as far as demanding recognition and refers to two separate internal sovereignties. Unfortunately, with these mentalities is not possible to reach an early solution. The statements made by Eroglu and the CTP-DP government are serving the opponents of the solution in the Greek Cypriot side. The supporters of the status quo in both sides are indirectly in an alliance for preventing the solution".
Izcan went on and noted that the comprehensive solution is a bi-zonal, bi-communal united federal Cyprus based on political equality and having a single sovereignty, a single citizenship and single international identity as the sides agreed in the joint declaration. Entering into "separatist quests" outside this is "an ineffective adventure", he said.
 Harmanci: all politicians' energy should be focus on the Cyprus talksUnder the title "All the energy should be spent for the solution", Turkish Cypriot daily Ortam (24.02.14), in its front page, reports that the general secretary of the Social Democracy Party (TDP) Mehmet Harmanci, said that the mutual accusations among the leaders with the resumption of the Cyprus talks create a negative atmosphere, adding that this situation does not benefit anyone. He noted that self-styled minister of foreign affairs Ozdil Nami and Turkish Cypriot negotiator Kudret Ozerday should join forces towards a Cyprus settlement, instead of spending their life in ego fights.
Harmanci stressed that both sides need the solution, because the economy in both sides has collapsed.
Referring to the issue of the opening of the fenced off town of Varosha, Harmanci said that Varosha issue is an important part of the Confidence Building Measures package. He reminded statements by economists that the opening of Varosha will contribute 20% to the growth of the economy.
 Talat on the joint statement and the negotiationsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (23.02.14) reported that former Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat made statements regarding the joint statement and the launching of the negotiations.
He said that he does not trust the Cyprus Church, arguing that the biggest risk on this issue is for the Church to persuade the Greek Cypriots out of the solution. He also said that the way the two sides in Cyprus understand the solution is different and added that we must make people to start thinking about solution in the same way.
He said that Eroglu have accepted the "single sovereignty"; however Eroglu is in spirit and in ideology against the solution.
He said that the lack of arbitration is the worst element of the joint statement because in the end arbitration will be needed. "Without arbitration this business cannot come to an end. This was a principle for the Turkish side", he stated. He went on and added that "solution conditions" must be created and added that we are in a better position than the Annan Plan.
 Asikoglu: A Cyprus settlement will increase the tourists in the "north"Turkish daily Milliyet (23.02.14) reported that self-styled undersecretary of tourism ministry Sahap Asikoglu, told to the paper that there will be a significant increase of tourism' flow with the Cyprus settlement, adding that they should make preparations in order for the natural and the historic sites not to be spoiled in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus.
Asikoglu said that the tourists, who visited the occupied area of Cyprus in 2009 were 370 thousands, adding that now the number has been increased to 800 thousands. He noted that their aim is to increase the tourists to 2 million within 5-6 years.
He further noted that there is a serious increase of tourists to the occupied area of Cyprus from countries as Netherlands, Germany, Britain, Denmark and France.
 Electricity will be carried from Turkey to the occupied area of CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Realist (23.02.14) reported that a delegation headed by self-styled undersecretary of prime ministry Alpay Avsaroglu carried out contacts in Ankara to find ways for bringing electricity from Turkey to the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus.
According to confidential sources, during the meetings in Turkey, the delegation obtained a consensus to bring electricity from Turkey in the occupied area through cables. They also discussed different formulas, as who can bring the electricity and how will it be distributed. It was decided that the project should be as a cooperation between the private and public sector, the paper reported.
 The breakaway regime participates in "Gulfood 2014 Food Fair"Turkish Cypriot daily Bakis newspaper (24.02.14) reports that the "Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Industry" participates in the "Gulfood 2014 Food Fair" which started yesterday in Dubai and will go on until February 27.
According to the paper, ten firms from the occupied area of Cyprus are taking part in the Fair in which the breakaway regime participates under the name "North Cyprus".
 The Turkish Assembly adopts Bill to convert private tutoring centres into private schools in 2015Ankara Anatolia news agency (23.02.14) reported that the Turkish Parliament's Committee for National Education, Culture, Youth and Sports has approved a draft law that covers several new regulations about private tutoring centres or "dershanes".
The private tutoring [dershanes] and study centres will continue their activities till September 2015. The centres will then be converted into private schools. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION