|Monday, 10 August 2020|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 14-03-21
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 54/14 20.03.14
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Ozersay: There will be important developments soonTurkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (21.03.14) reports that the Turkish Cypriot negotiator, Kudret Ozersay has said that "some concrete steps may be taken in the road leading to the solution" in Cyprus and that "there will be important developments". In statements to Halkin Sesi from New York, Ozersay noted that soon steps could be taken as regards the comprehensive solution and the cooperation between the sides on some issues that will contribute to their economy.
Ozersay argued that taking into consideration the recent developments in Ukraine, Europe, which is depended on Russia in the field of energy, will be more willing on the issue of carrying Eastern Mediterranean's energy resources to the international markets and this makes inevitable the revaluation of the situation in Cyprus.
He went on and argued: "The need for regional stability had been secured with long lasting negotiations without a result and with the status quo, but the latest developments showed once more that this should change now. It is very important to overcome this long lasting stagnation, which has put the Turkish Cypriots into a dead-end from the point of view of their status, and for the people to breathe. The ideal way of solving this is the comprehensive solution. Only on the way leading to the solution some concrete steps may be taken. We believe that soon important developments will happen on these issues".
After meeting with officials from the US State Department yesterday in Washington, Ozersay met with Mr Smart, who according to the paper is President Obama's advisor, and afterwards departed again for New York, where he is discussing the latest developments with the Ambassadors of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council.
 Ertug: We are closer to the solution than yesterdayTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (21.03.14) reports that Osman Ertug, Turkish Cypriot leader's advisor on diplomatic affairs and spokesperson, has argued that the solution is closer today than yesterday, but time and the course of the negotiating process will show the result. Ertug gave a lecture yesterday at the illegal Near East University ("YDU") under the title "The Cyprus Negotiations in their 50th Year and the Solution Possibilities".
Ertug referred to the property issue and said that it should intensively be discussed in the negotiations and we should say that "some give and take" will happen. He alleged that the users, who have created some development on the properties, should be taken into consideration and added that they exert efforts in this direction on the negotiating table. He said that "new conditions" have been created as regards the properties both in the occupied north and the government-controlled south area of Cyprus during the last 40 years and alleged that the solution should be in a manner that will influence negatively to the minimum extent these [conditions].
Ertug claimed that people are worried about what will happen with their houses and whether they will move again to another place. He said that they do not want to abandon their places again and live under Greek Cypriot administration.
Ertug argued that the Greek Cypriot side wants a great deal of territory and submitted a proposal that takes into consideration the percentage of population of the communities, noting that the Greek Cypriots consider the population of the Turkish Cypriot side to be 18%-20% [of the island's total population] and asks for a population census.
 Member of Eroglu's negotiating claims says that the "constituent states" will be sovereign and have the right of self-determinationTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (21.03.14) reports that Oguzhan Hasipoglu, member of the Turkish Cypriot leader's negotiating team, has alleged that the "single sovereignty" concept which is included in the joint declaration signed between President Anastasiades and the Turkish Cypriot leader Eroglu exists in absolutely no other federal state's constitution in the world.
In statements to Kibris, Hasipoglu noted that this concept has been clarified in the joint declaration by saying that United Cyprus as member of the UN and the EU will have single international legal identity and single sovereignty as it is described in the UN Charter.
"Given that reference is made to the sovereignty of the UN member states, it would not be wrong to say that this definition could be interpreted within the Swiss Constitution model, some articles of which are taken into consideration by the Turkish Cypriot side", he alleged adding that this constitution provides that the cantons are sovereign as long as their sovereignty is not limited by the federal constitution. He claimed also that the cantons could make international agreements on issues within their jurisdiction provided that these are not contrary to the law, the federal interests and the law of the other cantons.
Referring to article 1 of the UN Charter, Hasipoglu alleged: "Given that there is no single people in Cyprus, according to the UN Charter it is understood that sovereignty includes an arrangement which gives possibility to the peoples to determine their equality of rights and their own future".
Hasipoglu claimed that sovereignty has internal and external dimension, something which is understood by the opposition in the government controlled area of Cyprus and on which many local and foreign academicians agree. He argued that the sovereignty may be single, absolute, inseparable and unlimited only in unitary states. He claimed that the actual problem is that the Greek Cypriot side did not abandon its view as regards the transformation of the Republic of Cyprus into a federation.
 Eroglu: We expect positive outcome from the negotiations within 3-5 monthsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (21.03.14) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu stated that there will be a positive outcome from the Cyprus talks within 3-5 months.
He made these statements during a meeting he held with a group of students from Estonian Tartu University. He also told them that the efforts for a solution had been on-going since 1968 and that the "people of TRNC" got tired of the never ending process.
 Eroglu: The world must see the reality of the existence of two "peoples" in Cyprus.Turkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (21.03.14) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu met with Talip Atalay, the "head of religious affairs in the breakaway regime. Atalay informed Eroglu on the "Promotion of Dialogue Between Religious Leaders" meeting he attended in Geneva last week.
During the meeting, Eroglu stated that Church should not interfere in politics. He also said that the contacts between the two religious leaders in Cyprus must continue and added that he believes that the world must see the reality of the existence of two "peoples" in Cyprus.
Atalay on his part said that religious leaders approach the solution process from a religious perspective. Speaking about the Geneva meeting, Atalay said that good activities took place where many firsts were experienced.
 Nami on his contacts in USA and the Cyprus negotiation talksUnder the title: "The principal negotiator is the 'president'. We are ready to provide assistance", Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (21.03.14) reports on statements by the so-called foreign minister Ozdil Nami who evaluated his trip to the USA and the Cyprus negotiation process.
Nami referred to his US trip and explained that he did not had the chance to meet with the negotiator Kudret Ozersay, since when Ozersay arrived to the island, he was on the way for the USA. He, however, said that they met and exchanged views with Ozersay before his departure for the USA. Nami added that the "foreign ministry" exerts efforts in order to have coordination with the "presidency" and added that the principal negotiator is "the president", as he called the Turkish Cypriot leader, Dervis Eroglu.
Stating that it is not possible to continue with the negotiation process without being in coordination with the "government", Nami indicated as examples the issue of territory and taxes and said that it is not possible to continue with these issues without to be informed first from the related departments.
Regarding the ongoing negotiation talks, Nami said that they consider that the number of meetings is not sufficient and added that it is not enough for the leaders to meet once a month.
Referring to his contacts in the USA, he said that there were successful and fruitful.
 Cicek: "There are two separate states in Cyprus"Under the front page title: "Cicek: There are two separate states", Turkish Cypriot daily Vatan newspaper (21.03.14) reports that the Speaker of the Turkish National Assembly held a meeting with the so-called ambassador of the breakaway regime in Ankara, Mustafa Lakatamyali and a delegation of the "association of martyrs and war veterans of the TRNC".
In statements during the meeting, Cicek referred to the Cyprus problem and said that the Cyprus problem is the most important dispute which was not possible to be solved during the last 50 years. He also expressed hopes for a solution to be found soon and added: "There are two equal communities, two equal states there. Turks are not the minority, but are essential components. We are willing to reach to a peace solution that will safeguard all legal rights. If it is not possible to reach to this agreement, we do not consider it right to continue in this way forever".
Pointing out that Cyprus is Turkey's national policy, Cicek said that no matter which party is in power in Turkey, it will always be by the side of the "TRNC" and continue putting the "TRNC" into the agenda during Turkey's bilateral talks in the international platforms.
 Turkey blocks Twitter, after Erdogan vowed 'eradication'; Gul expressed his disagreementTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (21.03.14) reports that Turkey has blocked access to Twitter, hours after Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed to close down the social media platform.
"We now have a court order. We'll eradicate Twitter. I don't care what the international community says. Everyone will witness the power of the Turkish Republic," Erdogan said at his campaign rally in the western city of Bursa on March 20, 10 days before the upcoming local elections.
The Press Advisory of the Prime Ministry has later in the night clarified Erdogan's statement, arguing that Twitter officials currently "ignore" some court rulings in Turkey, which order the social media platform to "remove some links" as per the complaints filed by Turkish citizens.
Just before midnight, access to Twitter was already blocked in Turkey. The Communication Technologies Institution (BTK), which was given extraordinary powers with the recently passed Internet law, lists three court rulings and one prosecutor decision on its website as the reason of the outage. Eventually, all Internet service providers (ISP) in Turkey have abided by the rulings, as Turkish social media users have started to figure out ways to circumvent the blocking, like DNS-tweaking and VPN services.
In addition, the paper also reports that Turkish President Abdullah Gul has expressed his disagreement with the access restriction of social media websites, in his first remarks on the Twitter ban.
"A total shutdown of social media platforms cannot be approved," Gul tweeted via his own account on March 21.
Despite stressing that no such ban could be fully implemented, Gul expressed his hope that the government's move would not last long. "As I have said many times in the past, at the point where communication technologies have reached today it is technically impossible to entirely block access to social media platforms used across the world such as Twitter. I hope this practice will not last long," he wrote.
Gul had assured that there was no question of blocking access to social media platforms or popular sharing websites such as YouTube, following the recent enactment of a controversial law increasing government control over the Internet.
 Turkey 'may consider' military operation into Syria to protect the tomb of Suleyman SahTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (20.03.14) reported that opposition and the government in Turkey traded barbs over a possible operation to protect Turkey's Suleyman Sah tomb in Syria.
"The tomb of Suleyman Sah is a rare place, which is Turkish land outside Turkey's own borders. There is no difference between the tomb and Ankara or Sinop. The soil where it is located is Turkish soil. Our armed forces are ensuring security and protecting it," Energy Minister Taner Yildiz said, responding to earlier statements by Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu.
On March 19, Kilicdaroglu called on the Chief of General Staff Gen. Necdet Ozel "not to embark on an adventure" with a military intervention in Syria to protect the tomb.
The tomb for Suleyman Sah, the founder of the Seljuk Empire in Anatolia who died in 1086, is located in the governorate of Aleppo. Two Turkish F-16 fighter jets are reportedly on duty to protect the tomb, from either Syrian government forces or ISIL. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION