|Friday, 22 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 14-04-25
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 75/14 25.04.14
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Ozersay describes the visit of the negotiators to South Africa as "an important international initiative"Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (25.04.14) reports that the Turkish Cypriot negotiator, Kudret Ozersay has described the four-day visit which the negotiators of the two Cypriot communities will hold to South Africa as "an important international initiative" before entering into the second stage of the negotiations in Cyprus.
In statements to Kibris prior to his departure, Ozersay was asked whether they will examine only the experience of South Africa or they will discuss the Cyprus problem as well. "It is not possible not to discuss the Cyprus negotiations in an environment in which the two negotiators will come together", he replied.
The paper writes that Ozersay and his delegation departed last night for Johannesburg in order to hold negotiations with the Greek Cypriot negotiator Andreas Mavroyiannis and his delegation and acquire information on the negotiations in South Africa which had ended successfully. Both delegations are expected to return to the island on 30 April.
 Nami explains the benefits of the Turkish Cypriots during the ten years that passed since the Annan Plan; Conflict with ToreTurkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (25.04.14) reports that Ozdil Nami, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has said that ten years have passed since the referendum on the Annan Plan and referring to those who ask "what has changed" he argues that the Turkish Cypriots are represented in Europe, took their place in the Islamic states as "Turkish Cypriot State", "laws" for harmonization with the EU passed in the "TRNC" [Translator's note: This is how he described the breakaway regime in the occupied area of Cyprus] and their "elected MPs" can meet with officials in Europe.
Addressing the "assembly" of the breakaway regime yesterday, Nami strongly criticized Zorlu Tore, "deputy" with the minor "coalition partner" Democratic Party ? National Forces (DP-UG), noting that Tore delivers "fevered speeches" from the bench, has not digested the reply given by the "people" in 2004, exceeded the limits and his ears should listen to what his mouth is saying. Nami went on and argued that "people" are fed up with Tore's statements that they had been deceived.
Nami said that "people" listen to what everybody says before taking their decision and no one can deceive them. Nami accused Tore of "deliberately lying" and described the map which Tore presents as part of the discussions of the territory issue as "figment of imagination".
Nami pointed out that a campaign for voting "no" in a possible referendum could be carried out, but it should be based on the truths. Referring to Tore, Nami said: "Enough! Learn to listen, speak the truth, not with lies".
Addressing the "assembly", Tore argued that many things changed in 40 years, the "TRNC" is born, developed and grew. He alleged that the reason of the non-solution of the Cyprus problem is "the wish of the Greek Cypriots-Greece duo" to take the entire island. Referring to those who say "let a solution be reached now, immediately", Tore claimed that the views of the Greek Cypriots have not changed and argued that the Greek Cypriot officials say that "our national cause is Keryneia" and that "160 thousand Greek Cypriots will return".
He argued that in spite of the fact that ten years passed since the Annan Plan, the promises given to the Turkish Cypriots are not kept and alleged: "If it had been said yes to the Annan Plan, the Turkish Cypriots would have lived in the foot of Pentadaktylos". Referring to the Turkish Cypriots, Tore argued that everyone should be careful, because if no territory is given to the Greek Cypriots, there will be no referendum.
On the issue Turkish Cypriot daily Volkan (25.04.14) reports that Tore accused Nami of visiting the USA and of holding meetings with the CIA. "He is trying to activate Karen Fogg and Soros Foundation", he alleged claiming that "there will be a flood of dollars and euro" in the occupied area of Cyprus in order to deceive the Turkish Cypriot "people".
 Nami informed the participants in the "International Universities Search and Rescue Council -2014" on Cyprus problemTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (25.04.14) reports that the self-styled foreign minister Ozdil Nami informed the participants of the "International Universities Search and Rescue Council (IUSRC) general meeting -2014" that took place in the breakaway regime yesterday, on the Turkish Cypriot side's position on the Cyprus problem.
According to the paper, Nami stated that 2014 will be the year of solution as regards the Cyprus problem. He also said that economic and political cooperation will open the road for peace and added that the discovery of natural gas will be an important factor towards the solution of the Cyprus problem.
The paper further writes about the universities which participated in the Council and reports that these are the following: The University of Lahore, Pakistan, the College of Advanced Technology Studies (CATS), India, the Azerbaijan State Economic University, Azerbaijan, the University of Taubate, Brazil, the Islamic University of Indonesia, Indonesia, the Uczelina Vistula University, Poland, the Kerman Medical University, Iran, the Tambov State Technical University, Russia and the Canakkale 18 Mart University, Turkey
 Talat: There would be a solution if Turkey had annexed the whole islandTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (24.04.14) reported that former Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat who was in Turkish city Corum where he attended a conference on Cyprus problem stated: " If the Turkish army had annexed the whole Island, there would have been a settlement then or if Turkey didn't go through the political troubles in that period, the Cyprus problem would have been solved by now".
Talat was speaking at the conference co-organized by the Hitit University and Corum Municipality where he answered a comment by a Turkish martyr who said "I wish Turkey had annexed the whole island".
Speaking upon the martyr's comment Talat said: "If the Turkish army had annexed the whole Island or if Turkey would not have gone through political troubles, there would have been a settlement then and the Cyprus problem would have been solved by now. Because soon after the Peace Operation the Turkish government under Ecevit's leadership had fallen and the successor government couldn't figure out 'how to return what Ecevit had taken?' and this went on and the discussion lingered. Actually the solution could have been lot easier if these political developments didn't happen in Turkey".
He went on and said the following: "The aftermath of that major military victory didn't take the necessary form. The TRNC still remains isolated from the rest of the world. We do not have any official ties with the international community. The only relations we form are through Turkey. Therefore we cannot reach the desired level of development. A spark of hope had emerged in 2004 as a federal solution based on political equality was the essence of the plan. Unfortunately after their accession to EU the Greek Cypriots didn't see an incentive in accepting the Annan Plan. In the end the Turkish Cypriots were left out of the international law once again. This shows that the international law does not always stand on the side of the rightful."
 "TMT Association" and Celik's statements against the solutionUnder the title: "No to a brokenly solution", Turkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (25.04.14) reports on statements by Celal Bayar, spokesman of the "TMT Association" who in a written statement yesterday, said, inter alia, that they say "no" to a brokenly solution under the name of the "Confidence Building Measures".
Underlining that the "Greek Cypriot administration", as he described the Republic of Cyprus exerts efforts to gain Varosha under the name of the "Confidence Building Measures", Bayar said that it seems that it convinced the EU and the UK for this. He went on alleging that the occupied fenced off city of Varosha (Maras) is a Turkish territory and stated that there is a "court decision" on this issue.
Claiming that the Greek Cypriot side and the EU have always waited from the Turkish Cypriot side to undertake steps, Bayar said that they themselves do not make even a small step. "The Greek Cypriots who attack even the former president Talat who supports the solution, how could they give trust to an average Turkish Cypriot citizen?", Bayar wondered.
"We trusted them in 1960 and we were deceived, we trusted them again in 2004 and again we were deceived. Let's not be deceived for another time. Let's focus altogether to a realistic solution which is based on our Sovereign State", stated Bayar.
Meanwhile, according to Turkish daily Halkin Sesi (25.04.14) the "chairman" of the so-called parliamentarian union of the occupation regime, Vedat Celik in a written statement yesterday referred inter alia, to the Cyprus negotiation talks and expressed criticism to the latest stage of the negotiation process, stressing the need to be concentrated to the existence of "two separate people in Cyprus, two separate states, two separate democracies, two separate political geographies, two separate identities and cultural existences".
Celik went on and criticized the so-called prime minister, Ozkan Yorgancioglu who has said that "the Turkish side has only one thing to give, and that is land".
Celik stated further that they felt the need to point out to their "people" that they are on a dangerous path.
 Davutoglu discusses Cyprus with Ban Ki-moonAnkara Anatolia news agency (24.04.14) reported that Turkey's Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has discussed by phone the developments in the Cyprus problem, Ukraine and Syria with United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.
 Turkish Cypriot candidate in the EP elections: Vote for us if you believe that your salvation is in your handsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (25.04.14) reports that Osman Zorba, candidate with the Cyprus Socialist Party in the European Parliament elections, has said that they run in the elections because they want a society in which the Greek Cypriots and the Turkish Cypriots will live brotherly without killing each other.
In an interview with Kibris, Zorba noted that they see all elections as a means to explain their views and added that this means should "be used until the end". He called on those who believe that their salvation is in their own hands to vote for them.
Zorba expressed the view that together with the lack of trust created by the economic problems towards the politicians in the government-controlled area of Cyprus, the representative democracy has gone bankrupt.
Zorba said that some things must be done at the EP especially for Cyprus and argued that the European Central Bank has unofficially seized the Cyprus' natural resources. He noted that in this situation, the Turkish Cypriots are also considered as having debts and argued that this will be imposed on the Turkish Cypriots in a possible agreement in the Cyprus problem.
Noting that Cyprus has both natural gas and oil, Zorba argued that plans are carried out for seizing not only the gas but the oil as well. "The Cypriots are used as pawns here", he claimed.
 Data on the number of Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots crossing since 2003Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (25.05.14) reports that eleven years have passed since the opening of the crossing points in Cyprus and gives data regarding the number of Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots crossing to the free areas of the Republic of Cyprus and to the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus respectively.
According to the paper, during the 11 years, 13 million 805 thousand 576 Turkish Cypriots crossed to the free areas of the Republic of Cyprus, whereas 7 million 895 thousands 442 Greek Cypriots crossed to the occupied area of Cyprus.
Also, according to the paper, in total 6 million 381 thousand 333 tourists crossed from the free areas of the Republic of Cyprus to the occupied area of Cyprus until March 2014.
The paper goes on and writes that 2012 was the record year as regard the crossing of the Turkish Cypriots to the "south", since totally 1 million 398 thousand 866 Turkish Cypriots crossed to the Republic of Cyprus.
Also, the paper writes that in 2003 in total 1 million, 359 thousand, 816 Turkish Cypriots crossed to the free areas of the Republic of Cyprus, in 2004 1 million 754 thousand 875, in 2005 1 million 498 thousand 303, in 2006 907 thousand 905, in 2007 1 million 656 thousand 896, in 2008 1 million 810 thousand 176, in 2009 1 million 503 thousand 439, in 2010 1 million 600 thousand 45 and in 2011 1 million 443 thousand 472.
Meanwhile, according to the data, the number of Greek Cypriots who have entered to the occupation regime from 2003 until 2012 was lower compared with the number of the Turkish Cypriots. Particularly, in 2003, in total 642 thousand 992 Greek Cypriots crossed to the occupation regime, whereas in 2004 this number was 884 thousand 483. In 2005, the number increased to 939 thousand 811. Also, in 2006 the number of Greek Cypriots crossing to the occupation regime almost reduced to the half and reached to 356 thousand 919. In 2007 it was 575 thousand 569, in 2008 645 thousand 164, in 2009 635 thousand 788, in 2010 634 thousand 426, in 2011 694 thousand 633, in 2012 658 thousand 117 and in 2013 723 thousand 904.
 Turkey's 1915 statement wins praise from the West but Armenia unimpressedTurkish daily Sabah newspaper (25.04.14) reports that while the West and Armenians in Turkey have welcomed a statement from Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan regarding the events of 1915 on the eve of their 99th anniversary, in which he extended condolences from Turkey to Armenians for the first time in the history of the Turkish Republic, Armenia does not seem impressed.
Armenian President Serzh Sarksyan made a statement on Wednesday regarding the 1915 events, but he did not mention Erdogan's statement made earlier the same day. Sarksyan said Turkey is in "utter denial" of what Armenia sees as genocide under Ottoman rule 99 years ago. Sarksyan underlined: "[1.5 million] Armenians fell prey to a crime that did not have a name at that time. Nor had any human language coined such an expression or a term yet. They were killed simply because they were Armenians. The crime, designed minutely and in advance, pursued a clear goal to take possession of the home country, the property and the 100-year-old heritage by exterminating the native people living there. This way, they committed a monstrous crime, seeking to once and forever annihilate Armenians as a political factor."
In addition, Turkish Hurriyet Daily News (25.04.14) reported that Turkey's move is 'a call for Armenia that we hope will be answered,' Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said. The reason why Ankara released the statement on April 23, but not April 24 ? the day Armenians around the world mark the 1915 incidents ? is "to take the first step before developments and conduct a proactive policy," a Turkish Foreign Ministry official told the Hurriyet Daily News.
Ankara aimed to express its view before April 24 so that the statement could be appraised on its own terms, not as a response to statements on April 24. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION