Browse through our Interesting Nodes on Classical Greece A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Tuesday, 26 January 2021
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 15-03-04

Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>

TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 42/15 04.03.15

[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS

  • [01] Turkish Foreign Ministry: Notice on military maneuvers in Aegean was a mistake
  • [02] Eroglu alleged that in 1975 two zones were established in the island which constitute a UN parameter
  • [03] BKP accuses Nami of "creating a wrong impression" on the issue of the lifting of Turkish Cypriots' so-called isolation
  • [04] So-called minister Tacoy calls the Greek Cypriot side to common sense
  • [05] An agreement recently signed between the breakaway regime and Turkey is considered as another sign of the occupation of Cyprus
  • [06] Eroglu met with the members of the newly established "North Cyprus exporter's assembly"
  • [07] Akinci held a meeting with the "Football Clubs Union" of the breakaway regime
  • [08] Reactions by opposition parties as regards the Kurdish peace progress
  • [09] Another journalist's arrest in Turkey

  • [A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS

    [01] Turkish Foreign Ministry: Notice on military manoeuvers in Aegean was a mistake

    Turkish daily Today's Zaman newspaper (04.03.15) reports that Turkey has said that a recent announcement seeking to reserve a large swath of airspace over the Aegean Sea for Turkish military manoeuvers until the end of the year was issued by mistake and then canceled.

    In a statement on Tuesday, Foreign Ministry spokesman Tanju Bilgic said that the Notice to Airmen, or NOTAM, was inadvertently declared "with an inaccurate coordinate". He did not elaborate further.

    The statement issued by the Turkish Foreign Ministry on March 3, 2015, at its official website (http://www.mfa.gov.tr/default.tr.mfa) on the issue is as follows:

    "The issue of long period dangerous areas declared by Greece and Turkey in the Aegean has been on the agenda for a long time. Last year, we proposed to Greece to mutually cancel those areas. However, we have not received from the Greek side any positive response yet. We are willing to find a timely solution to this issue within the framework of the Confidence-Building Measures talks between Turkey and Greece. For this purpose, the latest NOTAM issued erroneously with an inaccurate coordinate has been cancelled, and at this stage no new dangerous area will be declared for a certain period of time. On the other hand, our position based on the principle of reciprocity is reserved with regard to this issue by all means. On this occasion, we reiterate our call to the recently formed Government of Greece to approach the existing issues between our countries in a constructive manner and by making use of the available diplomatic channels of dialogue".

    [02] Eroglu alleged that in 1975 two zones were established in the island which constitute a UN parameter

    Turkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (04.03.15) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu, in statements yesterday during a visit he paid to occupied Kyreneia within the framework of his "election campaign", referred to the Cyprus problem and stated that the Turkish Cypriots are in favor of the solution but do not want to become "refugees" again.

    Supporting that he decided to be a "presidential candidate" again in order to bring the "uncompleted" negotiation talks to a conclusion, Eroglu reiterated that he is still at the negotiating table, in spite of the fact that his interlocutor is not. "The Greek Cypriot side left the table using the vessel as a pretext. Their pretext was that the vessel which carried out seismic explorations in our island was in the Mediterranean. In order to prove to the world that the Greek Cypriot side's allegations were wrong, we kept the vessel in the Famagusta port. It is still there. But still, they have not returned to the table. (?)", Eroglu said.

    Eroglu also alleged that in 1975 a population exchanged had taken place and underlined that two zones were established. "That is the Turks to live in the north and the Greeks to live in the south. This is a UN parameter", Eroglu claimed.

    Referring to the Cyprus negotiation talks, he accused the Greek Cypriot side of having excessive demands and of trying to lift the guarantor ship system. "Today, in a lot of places of the world and especially in the Middle East there is bloodshed. Cyprus is the only place where there is no bloodshed", Eroglu said and claimed that this is due to the presence of the Turkish troops in the island.

    Reiterating his position that there is peace in the island but what is still missing is an agreement, Eroglu underlined that the agreement to be reached should safeguard peace.

    (AK)

    [03] BKP accuses Nami of "creating a wrong impression" on the issue of the lifting of Turkish Cypriots' so-called isolation

    Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (03.03.15) reports that the United Cyprus Party (BKP) has accused Ozdil Nami, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, of creating a wrong impression on the issue of the lifting of the so-called isolation and embargo allegedly implemented on the Turkish Cypriots. According to a written statement issued yesterday by BKP's foreign relations secretary, Salih Sonustun, Nami deceives the Turkish Cypriot "people" on the EU's Direct Trade Regulation, which has been deemed illegal by the European Council's Law Office.

    "In spite of the fact that Mr Nami knows this, he insistently demands for the immediate acceptance of the regulation and the lifting of the isolations and embargoes, creating a wrong impression in the community", said Sonustun, commenting on Nami's statements during his recent contacts abroad.

    Sonustun pointed out that the reason of the "embargo and isolation" was "the non-solution and Turkish Cypriot leadership's separatist policies" and called on Nami to avoid "statements and behaviors, which create wrong impressions and unnecessary expectations within the community and evaluate alternatives in accordance with the international law for the lifting of the embargoes and isolations which the Turkish Cypriot community experiences".

    He argued that the EU, the UN and the Greek Cypriot side have accepted the return of the occupied fenced off city of Varosha and the simultaneous opening of the Famagusta port for direct trade under EU control and the opening of the illegal Tymbou airport under the supervision of the International Civilian Aviation Organization (ICAO). Noting that these proposals were submitted to the negotiating table as confidence building measures, Sonustun recalled that the Turkish Cypriot leadership and he AKP government rejected them claiming that "Varosha is part of the comprehensive solution". He said that the lifting of the "isolation and the embargoes" was possible through the return of Varosha and the simultaneous opening of the Famagusta port and the Tymbou "airport" and called on the Turkish Cypriot leadership and the AKP government to take steps in this direction.

    (I/Ts.)

    [04] So-called minister Tacoy calls the Greek Cypriot side to common sense

    Under the title: "Tacoy called on the Greek Cypriot administration to common sense", Turkish Cypriot daily Bakis newspaper (04.03.15) reports that the so-called minister of transportation and communication, Hasan Tacoy, in statements yesterday, referred to the agreements signed between the "Greek Cypriot administration" as he called the Republic of Cyprus and Russia, as well as to the reactions expressed for the recent tweet of the US Ambassador and called the Greek Cypriot side to common sense.

    Claiming that the "Greek Cypriot administration" misunderstood the US Ambassador's tweet and thus overreacted on this issue, Tacoy accused the Greek Cypriot side for being the "spoilt child" of the EU.

    Tacoy stated that by pertaining to accusations and statements against the USA and the UK which work for the rights of the Turkish Cypriots, the Greek Cypriot side insults the Turkish Cypriots.

    Referring to the agreements signed by the Republic of Cyprus with Russia, Tacoy accused the Greek Cypriot side of not following a stance in favor of a solution in the island, but instead, a stance which harasses the Turkish Cypriots.

    "The Turkish Cypriot side will not remain silent to this", Tacoy added, stressing the need for the world and the EU to respond to this.

    (AK)

    [05] An agreement recently signed between the breakaway regime and Turkey is considered as another sign of the occupation of Cyprus

    Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (04.03.15) reports that the Turkish Cypriot primary and secondary school teachers' trade unions (KTOS and KTOEOS) and the "We Are Coming Together Movement" [Translator's note: It is the "Toparlaniyoruz Hareketi" established by Kudret Ozersay] have criticized the "government" for signing an agreement with Turkey providing for the establishment of an "overseas coordination office" in the occupied area of Cyprus.

    In a written statement issued yesterday KTOS and KTOEOS said that this "agreement" is contrary to the "constitution" of the regime, the "laws" and the international law. They pointed out that sports and other youth activities are being transferred to officials from Turkey, and criticized both the "government" and the "opposition" which said nothing about the issue. They noted that a "minister" who signs an agreement transferring the installations to be built in his own country and the dorms in which his own children will live to citizens of another country has committed treason against his own community. "This protocol signed by Mr Serdar Denktas by by-passing the parliament and the puppet-government is tantamount to handing over the keys of our house to the AKP", said the trade unions concluding that they will carry the issue to the international field.

    The "We Are Coming Together Movement" accused the "government" of acting "illegally", 'by-passing the assembly" and not defending the "will of the people". The Movement recalled provisions included in the "program of the government" saying that it would secure that the commander of the "security forces", the administration of the "central bank" and the head of the "civil defense organization" will be a "TRNC citizen". The Movement said that it had sent some questions to the "prime minister" as regards the above-mentioned "coordination office", but the information or the documents it received "could not shed light" on these questions.

    Afrika comments on this issue in its "Afrika'dan Mektup" [letter from Afrika] column under the title "But you still do not accept the occupation, do you?" Noting that with the agreement Turkey will take over all affairs concerning the Turkish Cypriot youth, the paper writes, inter alia, the following:

    "?As a paper we were not surprised by this. Why should we be surprised? From the very first day of our publication, we have been writing that we are under Turkey's occupation and that we have to seriously struggle against this occupation. However, there are still some people who do not accept this. They treat a puppet government as a real government and a puppet parliament as a real parliament. That is why they ask why officials from Turkey are heading some of our institutions, as if this is something new. The 'We are Coming Together Movement' also asked some of these questions yesterday. [?] These questions should have been asked a long time ago. [?]

    Let us recall something in the meantime. They have forgotten the Civil Affairs Directorate, which in hierarchy comes after the KTBK [Translator's note: This is the 'Cyprus Turkish Peace Forces' as the Turks describe the Turkish occupation army in Cyprus] and the GKK [Translator's note: This is the so-called security forces command]. That is, it is the internal and external intelligence service. That is our MIT [Translator's note: MIT is the Turkey's National Intelligence Organization]. Heading this organization there is always a colonel from Turkey. There is no Turkish Cypriot there as well! But you still do not accept that this country is under occupation, do you?"

    (I/Ts.)

    [06] Eroglu met with the members of the newly established "North Cyprus exporter's assembly"

    Turkish Cypriot daily Bakis newspaper (04.03.15) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu met yesterday with a delegation of a newly established council, called "North Cyprus exporter's assembly".

    According to the paper, the above "council" has been established on August 2014 after a decision of the "council of ministers" with the aim to find a solution to exporters' problems as well as to increase the potentials for exports.

    Speaking on behalf of the "council", Orcun Kamali, "general coordinator at the ministry of economy, tourism, culture and sports", said that their priority is to legalize the "council" by finalizing its law.

    Also speaking, Eroglu referred to the importance of the establishment of the "council" and added: "Perhaps we have not achieved to lead production at a desired level but we are at a point where we can produce and export".

    Eroglu also expressed the belief that the "government" will provide the necessary incentives for production.

    (AK)

    [07] Akinci held a meeting with the "Football Clubs Union" of the breakaway regime

    Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (04.03.15) reports that Mustafa Akinci, the independent candidate for the "April 2015 presidential elections" held a meeting with the "Football Clubs Union" of the breakaway regime.

    Speaking during the meeting, Akinci discussed with the union the difficulties experienced in sports and stated that they will create a future for the youth of the breakaway regime in the international stage. He also stated that despite the fact that Turkey says that it recognizes the "TRNC", it does not take the necessary steps for the recognition in the field of sports.

    [08] Reactions by opposition parties as regards the Kurdish peace progress

    Turkish daily Hurriyet newspaper (04.03.15) publishes the reaction of the three opposition parties in Turkey as regards the Kurdish peace progress.

    Main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal K?l?cdaroglu has described the recent talks - and tensions - between the government and the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP), as little more than "election propaganda" .

    "Let me tell you bluntly. There is an election cooperation between the AKP [the ruling Justice and Development Party] and the HDP and they want to continue with it," K?l?cdaroglu said on March 3, in his weekly address to CHP deputies at parliament. "I do not believe peace will come with such an understanding. A process that is built on mistrust will not bring peace to Turkey," K?l?cdaroglu said, referring to a call by the jailed PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan to the organization's seniors in Iraq to discuss in spring the issue of abandoning arms in Turkey.

    Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) lead Devlet Bahceli has likened the disarmament call by the jailed outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan to the Treaty of Sevres, which marked the defeat of the Ottoman Empire at the end of World War I.

    "In essence, there is no difference between the 433-item Treaty of Sevres declared on Aug. 10, 1920, which left a mark in history like a piece of dirt, and the text of treason dated Feb. 28, 2015," said Bahceli, addressing his party deputies at Parliament on March 3. The co-chair of the Kurdish problem-focused Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) has claimed that the government is simply using the process as a tool to score points ahead of the upcoming parliamentary elections scheduled for June 7.

    [09] Another journalist's arrest in Turkey

    Turkish daily Zaman newspaper (03.03.15) reported that journalist Mehmet Baransu, an outspoken critic of the Turkish government was arrested on Monday, after his home was searched for 12 hours by Istanbul police officers on Sunday, over documents he submitted to prosecutors in 2010 about the Sledgehammer (Balyoz) coup plot.

    The infamous Sledgehammer case targeted the military's top brass and was initiated based on documents released by Baransu and published in the Taraf daily on Jan. 20, 2010. Baransu gave a number of CDs purported to reveal coup plans by military officials and their collaborators to a prosecutor. After a request by Istanbul Public Prosecutor Gokalp Kokcu, Baransu was arrested by the Istanbul 5th Penal Court of Peace on Monday afternoon. Baransu's lawyer, Ahmet Emre Bayrak, told Zaman on Monday that "Baransu is accused of establishing an organization with the aim of committing crimes and of destroying documents related to state security". TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION

    http://www.moi.gov.cy/pio

    (CS / SP)


    Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright © 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    tcpr2html v1.01 run on Wednesday, 4 March 2015 - 20:59:31 UTC