|Monday, 18 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 15-03-16
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 50/15 14-16.03.15
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Nami called the Greek Cypriot side to return to the negotiating table without preconditionsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (15.03.15) reported that the so-called foreign minister Ozdil Nami said that if the Greek Cypriot side continues to put forward preconditions for the resumption of the Cyprus negotiation talks as it had previously done so, then the talks will remain in suspension.
In statements to the paper, Nami noted that the NAVTEX ends on April 6 and said that the Saipem 10000 will be under repair for a period of three months; therefore the Turkish Cypriot side will not announce a new NAVTEX, as he said, and will not sent the Barbarros Hayrettin Pasa to the region.
Nami stated that it will be very pleasant if the leader of the "Greek Cypriot administration", as he called President Nikos Anastasiades would return to the table within this period. He, however, recalled that there was a period of a break in January, but the Greek Cypriot leader, as he said, has putted forward some preconditions for returning to the table.
Nami warned that in case the talks will resume within the period of the three months break and the Greek Cypriot side will start again its oil exploration activities, then they will be forced to give the necessary response.
Evaluating the Greek Cypriot negotiator's Andreas Mavroyianni recent statements where he said that an opportunity for the talks to resume will be given due to the fact that the natural explorations will be taking a recess in April, Nami said: "There was a one week break at the beginning of January but the Greek Cypriot side did not return to the table. Despite the statements made on this issue, it is not clarified yet which will be the official stance of the leader of the Greek Cypriot administration towards this issue".
Nami stated further that there were three alternatives on this issue; either the sides to move together on the hydrocarbon issue, or to continue with their activities separately and stop their works simultaneously.
 Eroglu: "Barbaros Hayrettin Pasa vessel has not embarked from Famagusta port"Turkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris (15.03.15) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu, commenting on the joint declaration of February 11, pointed out that they added two words on the article that the federal republic will be formed by two founding states of equal status.
Continuing his "election campaign" with a visit to the "Association of Turkish Cypriots from Paphos", Eroglu claimed that although Anastasiades has said yes to this addition at the joint declaration, during the meeting of the National Council they have decided that the Republic of Cyprus will continue.
Eroglu repeated that his aim is to solve the Cyprus problem within the next two years.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika (14.03.15) reported that Eroglu said that the seismic research vessel Barbaros Hayreddin Pasa has not embarked from the occupied port of Famagusta as goodwill gesture from the Turkish Cypriot side in order the talks to be resumed again for finding a solution to the Cyprus problem. Eroglu also said that he wishes the Greek Cypriot leader Nikos Anastasiades to return to the negotiating table.
 Olgun to give lectures on the Cyprus problem in UK and BrusselsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi (16.03.15-online in English) reports that the Turkish Cypriot negotiator Ergun Olgul will meet today with the UNSG Special Advisor Espen Bath Eide and will leave tomorrow for the UK and Brussels to give a series of lectures
Olgun will deliver a speech on Wednesday at a conference which will take place at Manchester University. On Thursday 19 March he will proceed to Brussels in order to give a lecture at the European Policy Centre. The lectures will focus on the Cyprus issue, the current phase of the talks and the steps that could be taken to resume the talks.
Olgun is expected to return to the island on Friday March 20.
 Seven candidates for the April "presidential elections"Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (14.03.15) reports that seven persons submitted their candidacy for the "presidential elections" to be held on April 19 in the breakaway regime.
These are the independent candidates Mustafa Akinci, Kudret Ozersay, Arif Salih Kirdag and Mustafa Alas, the candidate of the Cyprus Socialist Party Mustafa Onurer, the candidate of the Republican Turkish Party and "speaker of the assembly", Sibel Siber and the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu who runs as independent but is supported by the National Unity Party and the Democratic Party.
The paper writes that the "official list of admission" will be announced on March 23 and on March 24 the "official propaganda" of the candidates will be launched.
Following their admission, the candidates explained the aim and the goals of candidacy:
Akinci stated that only a few days remain until a real change to take place.
Ozersay stated that the "election" is between politicians from the 20th century and politicians from the 21st century.
Kirdag used football terms and said that the ball came to the penalty position and called on the "public" to take the shot and make a goal.
Alas said that his candidacy is about sound new thoughts and ideas.
Onurer said that all the castles in the country have been conquered and no "official;" has the power to intervene in any issue.
Siber expressed the hope that democratic elections will take place.
Finally, Eroglu stated that the next two years will be very critical as regards the negotiations and added that he is asking the vote of the public in order to complete the negotiations.
 A protest by KTOS against TFF's initiative to open a "representation office" in the occupied area of the Republic of CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen (14.03.15) reported that the Turkish Cypriot Teachers' Trade Union (KTOS) held a protest demonstration on Friday against the initiative of the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu and the self-styled deputy prime minister and minister of economy, tourism, culture and sports Serdar Denktas so that the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) to open a "representation office" in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus.
During the protest, Denktas discussed with the protesters about the initiative and told them that he, himself, asked from TFF to open a "representation office" in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus. He explained to them that his aim was to solve the problem with the football players' transfers in order their football clubs to be able to get their money with the transfers. He further alleged that the public was misinformed.
Sener Elcil, general secretary of KTOS, said that the reason the TFF wants to open a "representation office" in "TRNC" is to prevent the meetings between the "Turkish Cypriot football federation" ("KTFF") and the Cyprus Football Association (CFA), as well as to prevent the Turkish Cypriot "people's" opening to the world. He added that they should not mingle politics with sports.
Elcil said that they support the chairman of the "KTFF" Hasan Sertoglu and they will also try to protect their rights deriving from the Republic of Cyprus.
 The Turkish Cypriot "Movement of a Bright Future" held contacts regarding halloumi in LondonTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (14.03.15) reported that Anil Kaya, the chairman of the Turkish Cypriot organization "Movement of a Bright Future" (AYH) held contacts in London.
According to the paper, Kaya met with Jill Morris, Director for Europe at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and they exchanged views on the Cyprus problem. He also conveyed to her a file regarding the halloumi-hellim issue, prepared by the Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce.
 Erdogan: Turkey does not have a Kurdish problemTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (16.03.15) reports that Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan stated that "Turkey does not have any Kurdish problem".
Erdogan said that he made this statement in 2005 to claim that Turkey does not have any "Kurdish problem," arguing that the Kurds have equal rights with the rest of the country. "The only thing in their eyes is the Kurdish question. What are you talking about? There is no such thing, there is no Kurdish question. I explained it in 2005 in Diyarbak?r [?] We never had a Kurdish problem in this country. But it's being kept in the agenda on purpose" Erdogan said during a speech in the north western province of Balikesir. In 2005, Erdogan, who was then prime minister, argued that the Kurdish question was not the problem of Kurds alone, but a problem for the whole country, including himself.
Erdogan repeated this understanding in consecutive statements over the weekend, at a moment when negotiations between the government and the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) have begun to foster a promising environment for the resolution of the decades-old problem. There are expectations that the imprisoned leader of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) will deliver an important message to PKK officials for the disarmament of the organization in due course. "During his speech, Erdogan selected not to explain why the government was engaged in peace talks with the Kurdish movement if there was no Kurdish problem", Hurriyet notes. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION