|Saturday, 16 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 15-09-09
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 171/15 09.09.2015
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Ak?nc? stated that they are trying to reach to an agreement model acceptable by the Turkish CypriotsAccording to illegal Bayrak television (08.09.15) the Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Ak?nc? said that they are working towards achieving a settlement which both communities will willingly approve and accept, adding at the same time that the solution will not be one sided.
In statements during a meeting with a delegation from the illegal Eastern Mediterranean University (DAU), Akinci referred to the Cyprus problem and stated that they are currently involved in an intensive negotiations process aimed at achieving a settlement.
Stating that the solution is not something which is easy to achieve, Akinci said that both sides over the years had been entrenched in their positions.
He added that achieving convergences between the differing positions requires great effort, good will and mutual understanding. "We are trying with all our strength to achieve this", Ak?nc? stated, expressing the hope that they can reach to an agreement model which the Turkish Cypriot "people" will be willing to approve.
Pointing out that a solution will not be one sided, Ak?nc? said that it will be impossible to achieve the goal of a federated settlement if one of the two sides do not approve of the agreement reached.
Underlining that the conditions since 2004 may have changed which way the Turkish Cypriot people will vote, Ak?nc? said that the important thing is to achieve a common ground. "As you would agree, this is not an easy thing to achieve but this is our intention and we hope that we shall succeed in doing this" he added.
 Atun met with the KTSOAccording to illegal Bayrak television (08.09.15) the so-called minister of economy, industry and commerce Sunat Atun met with a delegation from the Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce (KTSO), headed by its chairman Fikri Toros.
Speaking prior the meeting, Atun highlighted the need to improve the "country's" climate for investment and to encourage the use of the Turkish Lira against the rise in the foreign exchange rate.
Also speaking, Toros said they would be discussing with Atun urgent measures needed to be taken in the country.
Pointing out that the "country" is heading towards a new period, Toros stated that they will discuss with Atun the "Turkey-TRNC economic program", the negotiations process and the EU harmonization process which is expected to start soon.
Stating that they would also be presenting Atun "the north Cyprus project in the peace process" which was prepared by the chamber, Toros explained that the project includes issues like how competitiveness with "south Cyprus", as the Republic of Cyprus is called, could be achieved, how the economic growth in the country can be achieved and how this will prosper the people once a solution is reached.
For his part, Atun stated further that they are working hard to improve the climate of investments in the "country."
Explaining that the "Turkey-TRNC investment council" was established with the aim of attracting investors, he said that the common goal is to make the economy more productive.
"What is important is to have a sustainable road map. The Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce is our most important partner in this process" Atun added.
Noting that an economic recession was recently being experienced in the country due to several negative factors, he said that untimely statements on the property issue and the rise in the foreign exchange rate were the major reasons for this downward trend.
 The "Famagusta Initiative" calls for the opening of Deryneia crossing pointTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (09.09.15) under the title: "The eyes are turned to the barricades", reports on statements by Mertkan Hamit, activist and member of the "Famagusta Initiative", who in an interview to the paper, stressed the need for the opening of the Deryneia crossing point, in order as he said for the occupied Famagusta to get out of the economic bottleneck.
Stating that the opening of the Deryneia crossing point will benefit economically both sides in the island, Hamit explained that NGO's in both sides of the island work together and develop projects that will bring economic prosperity to the region.
Hamit explained that they are working towards a project named: "Renewal" which is supported by the UNDP-AC and added that the implementation of the above project will turn occupied Famagusta into a touristic center.
 Social Democracy Party congress to take place on December 6Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (09.09.15) reports that the general assembly of the Social Democracy Party (TDP) will take place on December 6. The paper writes that the district and youth congress of the party will take place on October and November.
The current chairman of TDP Cemal Ozyigit stated that he will run again for the party's leadership.
 Mimoza Hotel has been sold to the illegal Near East University for ten millionTurkish Cypriot daily Detay newspaper (09.09.15) reports that the Mimoza Hotel has been sold to the illegal Near East University (YDU).
According to the paper, tenders for the renting or selling the hotel were opened on June 3 and closed on July 15.
According to the paper, YDU Ltd was the only firm which made an offer and was granted the tender for the amount of 10,010,000 sterling pounds.
Providing information about the hotel, the paper writes that it was firstly rented in 1995 by the Gossip LTD for 1,260.000 but was claimed by the "state" because the firm was not able to sell its debts. Since 2011 tenders for the hotel were opened six times, the last one being that lead to the selling to YDU Ltd.
 Grey wolfs organized a protest in the occupied area of Cyprus to condemn PKK attacks in TurkeyTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (09.09.15) reports that a protest took place yesterday in occupied Famagusta "condemning the attacks of PKK against the Turkish army" taking place in Turkey during the last few days.
According to the paper, the Famagusta Grey Wolfs organization organized the protest and the "TRNC Grey Wolfs organization" and the "Fighters Association" were among the organizations participating in it.
 The number of vehicles in the breakaway regimeTurkish Cypriot daily Diyalog newspaper (09.09.15) reports about the number of vehicles in the breakaway regime and writes that there are 173,738 registered vehicles in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus.
The paper writes that only 619 vehicles existed in "north Cyprus" in 1974 and this number increased to 7,972 in 1976. According to the paper the majority of vehicles (112,237) are saloon cars, while 13,108 are trucks, 10,215 are bikes and 7,000 are double cabin trucks.
 Qatar team which will participate in the Cyprus Rally will arrive to Cyprus through the occupied Keryneia portTurkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (09.09.15) reports that the Qatar team consisting of the pilot and technical support team that will participate in the Cyprus Rally will arrive to Cyprus through the occupied Keryneia port.
The paper wonders if the same approach will be followed as regards the Turkish team that will participate in the rally.
 Erdogan: "PKK laying down arms is the only solution Turkey can accept"; He accused PKK for ending the peace processTurkish daily Sabah (08.09.15-online in English) reported that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan highlighted on Tuesday that the PKK organization has to lay down its weapons before anything else can be discussed or negotiated with them.
The announcement came after another surge in the group's terrorist attacks, which killed 16 soldiers on Monday and 14 police officers on Tuesday.
"At this point the only solution is for the PKK to lay down its arms; nothing else can be discussed," Erdogan said, and vowed that Turkey will not be abandoned to terrorists.
Erdogan said that the state mechanisms may move slowly, but no power can halt them once they take off, and noted that the PKK and its structure has been seriously damaged, and work will continue until the organization is completely destroyed.
"No power, gang, organization or perception management operations can block the power of the state," Erdogan said and added that the recent surge in attacks were mostly due to the fact that the terrorists are in a state of panic because of the blow they received from the Turkish forces within and outside of Turkey.
Erdogan harshly criticized anyone who refrains from sincerely condemning the terrorist attacks, and he underscored that unity and solidarity are essential to preserve the country at such a critical period. He reiterated once again that it was the PKK that ended the reconciliation process and sabotaged peace.
"As much as Turkey needs a ruling party, it also needs opposition parties" Erdogan said, noting that the actions of politicians and media outlets explicitly and implicitly supporting the terrorist organization through their statements cannot be tolerated.
He accused those who blame the recent surge of terrorist attacks on the government for treason, and said: "The place to look for the culprits is the Qandil Mountains, where many PKK terrorists are located, not Ankara."
 UK' Ambassador to Turkey calls for ending of violenceTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (09.09.15) reports that Richard Moore, the United Kingdom's Ambassador to Turkey, has called for an end to what he called "meaningless violence" and extended his sympathy to the families of soldiers and police officers killed in recent clashes with the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
"Following the casualties on the weekend, hearing about the killing of policemen in [eastern] Igd?r [province] deplored me. This meaningless violence should stop," Moore said in Turkish through his Twitter account.
He extended his sympathies to the families of the fallen security personnel and wished the wounded a speedy recovery.
Moore earlier tweeted on the killing of 16 troops in Dagl?ca in southeastern Hakkari province on September 6, in which he strongly condemned the attacks on the Turkish soldiers in Dagl?ca and two Turkish policemen in southeastern Diyarbak?r province.
"We as the United Kingdom will continue our close cooperation with our Turkish partners in the fight against all sorts of terrorism," Moore said.
 Hurriyet's Istanbul and Ankara offices attacked for a second time within a weekTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (09.09.15) reports that Daily Hurriyet's Istanbul headquarters and Ankara offices were pelted with stones by 100 club-swinging protesters on September 8, less than 48 hours after a similar attack by Justice and Development Party (AKP) supporters.
Condemning the attack, Hurriyet editor-in-chief Sedat Ergin said during a live broadcast on CNNTurk the following: "If they had entered the building, I don't know if I could be here now. I am not able to believe that I am working as a journalist in a democracy because fear and democracy cannot live side by side". Ergin stressed also that the police failed to protect the newspaper despite a similar raid on September 6.
"The government should provide security in a democracy," Ergin added, noting that senior AKP figures had failed to condemn the first physical attack targeting daily Hurriyet. "I am not sure if I will be able to feel secure when I enter this building tomorrow as Hurriyet's editor-in-chief."
Soon after the attack in Istanbul's, Hurriyet's Ankara office, where it's printing center is located, had also been assaulted.
Meanwhile, according to another report by Hurriyet Daily News (08.09.15), the Republican People's Party (CHP) has filed a parliamentary question regarding an attack on daily Hurriyet's headquarters in Istanbul by a crowd of stone-throwing Justice and Development Party (AKP) supporters angered by its reporting on a comment by the Turkish President.
Eren Erdem, a CHP Istanbul Deputy and a member of the CHP's commission on the media, issued a parliamentary question to Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu about the pro-government protesters' attack on the Hurriyet building, asking why no one had been detained".
"Is it true that the attackers used the police megaphone to organize the protest? Would the police's attitude be the same if a protest attempt had been staged on pro-government media outlets?" asked Erdem.
According to the paper, the US Embassy in Ankara and the EU Commission issued separate statements condemning the September 6 attack on Hurriyet.
 AK Party to hold its 5th ordinary congress on SaturdayTurkish daily Sabah (08.09.15-online in English) reported that the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) will finalize preparations with two workshops starting on Thursday before it holds its fifth ordinary congress on Saturday, September 12.
The current AK Party chairman and interim Prime Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu, is expected to run as the sole candidate for chairman in the congress. Moreover, new members of the Central Decision and Administrative Board (MKYK), which is the main body of the party with 50 persons, will also be elected in the congress. Well-known AK Party figures such Ali Babacan, Binali Y?ld?r?m, Omer Celik and Taner Y?ld?z who did not run in the June 7 elections due to AK Party's three consecutive terms rule, are expected to be on the MKYK as wells as on the Deputy candidate list for the November 1 election.
The new election slogan is also expected to be announced at the congress. AK Party sources have indicated that the election campaign will focus on the importance of stability and the main slogan of the party will be: "Vote AK Party for stability."
A total of 3,656 people have applied to be AK Party Deputy candidates for the November 1 general election. (?)
The final list of AK Party Deputy candidates will be presented to the Supreme Election Board (YSK) on Sept. 18 and the party is expected to announce its candidate list and election manifesto on September 22.
 Turkish officials ban religious symbols at yoga centersTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (09.09.15) reports that according to a directive released by the Sports for Everyone Federation of Turkey (HIS), having religious symbols and playing music specific to various religions at yoga centers has been banned. Officials argue that with this directive, they aimed to take measures against missionary activities.
Consequently, having Buddha sculptures and mantra symbols as well as the playing of religious music and burning of incense can be considered violations which lead to the closure of these centers.
Yoga trainers have reacted against the instruction, which included the phrase "different religions," underlining that yoga cannot be considered a religion and the use of symbols was natural.
According to HIS Technical Board head Suleyman Gonulates, the instruction is a routine arrangement and religion should not be a part of sports. The instruction bans all kinds of religious symbols, including Islamic symbols, Gonulates added. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION