|Friday, 22 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 15-09-23
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 181/15 23.09.2015
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Kibris: Britain is not closing the door for the guaranteesUnder the above title, Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (23.09.15) reports that officials from the UK High Commission in Nicosia told the paper that Britain is not looking for a special role as regards the guarantees in Cyprus, but they preserve the view that if they are asked to undertake a role, they will try to do it in the direction of supporting and helping in the solution.
Asked by Kibris to comment on the issue, the officials said that the UK preserves the position expressed by the British Foreign Secretary in July.
The paper writes that during their meeting last Friday, the UK Prime Minister, David Cameron told President Anastasiades that his country's support to the efforts for finding a solution in Cyprus continues.
 Developments regarding Derinya border crossing pointTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (23.09.14) reports about the
Derinya crossing point issue and writes that after months of toing and froing, the issue is reaching a happy ending.
Ulas Baris reporting for the paper says that a reliable source told the paper that the issues had been overcome on the border crossing.
Recalling that the two leaders had included Derinya crossing point amongst their 5-point plan, there had been much discussion with regards to roads and routes for this crossing point. Since then there had been a dispute amongst local "authorities" and the military and no progress had been made.
In the negotiations, the Turkish Cypriot side had proposed a new route for the Derinya crossing point; however the Greek Cypriot side had not been very favorable to this, writes the paper.
However a reliable source told Kibris Postasi that the announcement that the crossing point would open soon was near and the issues between "the civil and military authorities" had been overcome. This means that it would take around two months for the work to be completed at that crossing point in order to open it.
Meanwhile the Turkish Cypriot side is having difficulties in finding "customs and police staff" to work at that crossing point. The same source said however that the matter should be overcome with an initiative from the "government".
 Samani: We are considering establishing a committee that will inform the press of both communities on the negotiationsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (23.09.15) reports that Dr Meltem Onurkan Samani, the Turkish Cypriot coordinator of the Technical Committees established within the framework of the Cyprus talks, has said that eleven technical committees are active at the moment. Noting that the committees are bound to the two leaders, Samani pointed out that they submit proposals to the leaders on Confidence Building Measures and work on the technical aspects of the leaders' political decisions.
Samani said that the committees are working within the framework of the political decisions taken by the leaders and on issues approved by the leaders, gathering and evaluating data asked by the leaders regarding the chapters of the negotiations.
Samani noted that the members of the committees are not authorized to make statements and this is why there is no information in the press as regards their work. She added that Akinci's office is considering establishing a committee, which will ensure that more correct and simultaneous information will be published in the press of both communities as regards the negotiations. She argued that when the process advances such a committee will be necessary, but they are not in a hurry on this issue as they do not want this to be considered as "interference" in the press.
 International Restaurant Chain McDonald's has sued "Big Mac Cafe" in occupied FamagustaTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen (23.09.15) reports that International Restaurant Chain McDonald's has sued the "Big Mac Cafe", which operates in the occupied town of Famagusta, on the grounds that it infringes on its registered trademark name and logo.
McDonald's Corporation has asked from the "Big Mac Cafe" to change the name, menu, signboard and all similar products that it uses and prohibits their use while seeking damages with interest.
According to the paper, McDonald's Corporation filed a petition on July 8 with their Managing Director McDonald's Middle East Development Company Yousif Abdulghan against the "Big Mac Cafe". The first hearing was held on September 21 and the next one will be on October 9 at the so-called Supreme Court in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus.
The paper also reports that Abdulghani visited personally the cafe in 2011, where he sampled the food.
 HDP ministers resign from interim cabinetTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (23.09.15) reports that Development Minister Muslum Dogan and EU Affairs Minister and Chief Negotiator Ali Haydar Konca from the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) resigned from their posts in the interim cabinet on Tuesday. The resignations came during a cabinet meeting in Ankara.
During their press meeting on Tuesday, regarding their reasons for leaving the posts, both ministers criticized the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and the government, though abstained from voicing any criticism for the PKK's deadly attacks in the country's southeastern provinces since the break of the cease-fire in July. "Due to negativities in carrying out the de facto duty, we resign from our posts today," Konca said. When asked if he considers PKK's terrorist attacks as a "fight for freedom," Konca and other HDP deputies left the press conference without answering the question.
Following the ministers' resignation, just before the press meeting, a statement made by the prime minister's office said, "Mr. Prime Minister thanked them for taking part in the election government as a requirement of constitutional obligation and said leaving was also their own decision. A commissioning will be made soon." Muslum Dogan from Izmir and Ali Haydar Konca from Kocaeli were the HDP deputies who accepted Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu's invitation to join an interim power-sharing cabinet to lead the country to a snap election in November.
After accepting the proposal, Prime Minister Davutoglu described the development as "a test for them." He said the EU affairs portfolio, which also carries responsibilities as Turkey's chief negotiator on EU entry, would be "testing" and a "confrontation" for the EU. "Some [EU member state] ministers who criticize Turkey and claim Turkey lacks freedoms will have contact with an HDP minister," he said. The appointment would demonstrate democracy in Turkey as the HDP has "the most contrary views in Turkey," Davutoglu added.
In addition, Ankara Anatolia news agency (23.09.15) reports that Turkey appoints two new ministers after the resignations. Beril Dedeoglu was appointed EU minister and Mustafa Cuneyd Duzyol got the development portfolio.
 No ballot boxes in three neighbourhoods, 23 villages of restive town in southeast TurkeyTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (23.09.15) reports that citizens living in three neighborhoods and 23 villages of a restive district in Turkey's southeast will only be able to vote in other neighbourhoods for the Nov. 1 election following a decision by local authorities.
The District Election Council decided on Sept. 18 to not establish any ballot box in Cizre's Cudi, Nur and Sur neighborhoods. The decision cited security concerns and the risk of bomb attacks during the vote. Besides "flaws in past elections," the decision also noted that "ditches and barricades" established by PKK militants in the area were still in place in the three neighborhoods.
The decision stipulates that more than 48,000 voters who live in the Cudi, Nur and Sur neighborhoods will be asked to vote in other neighborhoods. The entire Cizre district has some 66,000 voters.
Dogan News Agency reported on Sept. 22 that the election council also decided to not establish any ballot box in 23 villages of Cizre. The decision, taken after a request filed by the gendarmerie, has been conveyed to village heads and representatives of political parties.
 AKP expected to receive 44 % of the vote, polls suggestTurkish daily Sabah newspaper (23.09.15) reports that a joint public opinion poll conducted between August 27 and September 13, by four research companies in Turkey has revealed that the AK Party may be able to form a majority government by receiving over 44 % of the votes, sufficient to send 276 deputies to the parliament.
With the participation of 157,907 people, the survey was carried out by ANAR, DENGE, GEN-AR and Pollmark research companies, by taking into consideration all segments of the society, including populations in rural and urban areas, as well as gender differences.
The AK Party has received 44.2 % of the votes according to the survey, followed by the Republican People's Party (CHP) at 25.4 %, the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) at 14 % and the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) at 12.5 %, indicating that the AK Party's votes will increase by 3.3 %, CHP's 0.4 %, MHP's 2.3 % and HDP's votes will decrease by 0.6 % compared to the June 7 elections.
ANAR's president Ibrahim Uslu has reportedly said that the predictions and people's preferences will become clearer closer to the election date.
In the June 7 elections, the AK Party received the most votes in a fourth consecutive general election at 40.87 % and claimed 258 seats in Parliament, 18 short of a simple majority. The CHP followed with 24.95 % and received 132 seats while the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) received 16.29 % and gained 80 seats. The pro-Kurdish People's Democratic Party (HDP) entered Parliament for the first time as a party on June 7 when it passed the 10 % election threshold with 13.12 % and gained 80 seats.
 Kilicdaroglu to visit Europe for electoral campaign, official talksTurkish daily Today's Zaman newspaper (23.09.15) reports that Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu is scheduled to visit several European countries to meet with Turkish residents abroad and European officials as part of the party's campaign for the snap election on Nov. 1.
CHP Deputy Chairman Tekin Bingol shared the details of Kilicdaroglu's visit with the media on Tuesday, saying that his European itinerary will comprise of 10 cities in Switzerland, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and Austria. Nearly three million Turkish expats are eligible to vote and 95 percent of them live in the six European countries Kilicdaroglu is set to visit.
Kilicdaroglu will have the opportunity to celebrate Eid al-Adha (the Feast of the Sacrifice) during his electoral campaign in the European cities ahead of the November election. His European visit will start in Bern on Sept. 23 and end in Vienna on Sept. 27, where he will try to persuade Turkish citizens in each city to vote for the CHP on Nov. 1. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION