|Saturday, 7 December 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 15-11-05
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 210/15 05.11.2015
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Akinci said agreement is reached with the occupation army for excavations in 30 places in military zones for finding missing personsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (05.11.15, online) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci said today that an agreement has been reached with the occupation army authorities for permitting the Committee for the Missing Persons to carry out excavations in 30 places in military zones, where it is believed that missing persons have been buried.
Akinci met this morning with the Turkish Cypriot member of the Committee, Gulden Plumer Kucuk and the foreign member Paul Henri ? Arni, whom he informed that the Turkish occupation army has given permission for excavations in places in military zones where it is assumed that missing persons are buried.
In statements during the meeting, Akinci reiterated the call they had jointly made with President Anastasiades that anyone who knows anything as regards the missing persons issue should share this information with the Committee without delay and contribute in healing this "bleeding wound as soon as possible", because "this bleeding wound is a wound of both communities and helping in closing it the soonest is a humanitarian duty".
Akinci added: "In the list of the Committee on the Missing Persons there are 30 places of burial in military zones in our area and in which it is hoped that remains of missing persons are located. The Committee was demanding permission by the military authorities on this issue. It wanted for these permissions to be speeded up. It is not that such permissions were not given. They were given in small numbers. I invited the committee today to convey to them a positive development we have achieved as a result of the work we had been carrying out with the military authorities. [?] Permission has been given for these 30 places simultaneously. All 30 of them cannot be opened within a year, but depending on the performance of the Committee, it is estimated that around 10 places could be opened every year. However, the necessary facilitation was offered by the military authorities. Within this framework, I would like to thank them for their close interest and cooperation".
Moreover, Akinci announced that his so-called presidency has decided to donate 75 thousand dollars to the Commission and argued: "We think that this is an important move and I am expecting for the unnecessary accusations to end now, because accusations have continuously been made by the Greek Cypriot side on this issue. The issue had been raised on the agenda saying that there is no cooperation, the military zones are inaccessible, no permission is granted. We are expecting these accusations to end from now on [?]"
In his statements, Arni said that taking permission to hold excavations in the military zones in the occupied area of the island is a very important development and a great progress. Therefore, he thanked Akinci, Kucuk and everyone who worked for taking this permission.
Finally, in her statements, Kucuk also thanked Akinci for his help and contribution.
 Akinci: November and December are critical for the Cyprus problemTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (05.11.15) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci has said that November and December will be critical from the point of view of seeing on which of the rest of the chapters of the negotiations for finding a solution to the Cyprus problem agreement could be reached.
In statements yesterday during several meetings, Akinci argued that the political equality is one of the essential elements for the Turkish Cypriots and added: "It is the time now to face the realities. The status quo cannot continue any more. It cannot be continued. We have the right to take the place we deserve in the international community".
Replying to the criticism that he does not respond to the attacks allegedly made against him in the Greek Cypriot press, Akinci said that "we have not entered into this process for the game of blaming each other".
"The months of November and December will be very critical. We will see what kind of agreement we will secure on the chapters that have been left", he noted adding that within ten days the Foreign Ministers of three important countries such as the USA, the UK and Germany will visit the island, something that shows the importance attached to Cyprus. Akinci said also that the AK Party leader, Ahmet Davutoglu will pay his first visit abroad to the occupied area of Cyprus as soon as he establishes his new cabinet.
Akinci noted that the issues of political equality, bi-zonality and security are on the top of the "indispensable essential issues" and argued that if there is no justice it will not be possible for the agreement to function.
"Equality, security and freedom are very important concepts", he argued adding that these should be clarified and time should be given to the people to find out how everything will happen.
Underlining the importance of reaching a solution the soonest, Akinci described as "satisfactory" the fact that President Anastasiades had made a statement in this direction the day before yesterday.
Akinci said that the signature of the leaders will not be sufficient for the solution and wished for the leaders coming to the point of signing an agreement. He further underlined that "the peoples will decide". Akinci further noted that they are not seeking for a "no matter what solution", but a solution which will safeguard equality, freedom and security.
He also argued that they are cooperating with Turkey on every issue and described Turkey as an important country not only for the Turkish Cypriots, but for the area as well and alleged that Turkey also wishes a solution in Cyprus.
 Akansoy: 40 thousand persons will be granted a "white card"Turkish Cypriot daily Diyalog newspaper (05.11.15) reports that Asim Akansoy, self-styled minister of interior of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has said that the population which is foreseen for the Turkish Cypriot side in the negotiating process for finding a solution to the Cyprus problem is 220 thousand persons and that this number was given to the United Nations. In statements to Diyalog TV, Akansoy argued that the progress in the Cyprus talks should be taken into consideration when the "citizenship" issue is discussed and added:
"These efforts should be held in parallel. If a referendum will be held in this country after six months or after one year, there are certain numbers. We are making these arrangements simultaneously. The negotiating table is essential for us. There are some numbers submitted to the UN. It is out of the question for us making any arrangement which will spoil the negotiations. There is a number foreseen on the issue of the citizenship excluding the natural ways. [?] This number is around 220 thousands. The number of those living in the TRNC and those who are citizens of the TRNC is anyway 220 thousands. There will be the issue of citizenship of the new state after the solution over this number. The persons who will remain outside this will take white card and if they have not become citizens they will gain the status of the permanent resident of the new state. They have to remain for a certain period of time for the citizenship and in the end they will become citizens of the new state".
Replying to a question, Akansoy noted that the regime will give a "white card" to around 40 thousand persons who will be granted a permanent residence "permit". "The white card holders will have the right to apply for the citizenship when they complete the period determined in the new citizenship law which will be prepared", he said.
 The "association from Alexandretta" opposes the "white card"According to Turkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi (05.11.15), the chairman of the "solidarity and culture association" of the settlers coming from Alexandretta Mehmet Ipek announced that they will not encourage anyone to apply for the "white card" in case it is put into practice.
In a written statement issued yesterday regarding the efforts to grant "white card" to foreigners living in the occupied area and "permanent residence permit law" to those who have "working permission", Ipek said that "they will not allow to their citizens to take the white card", claiming that the persons, who were born in the "TRNC" (translator's note: the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus) and were raised there to become "citizens" of the "TRNC".
 Serdar Denktas claimed that their "red lines" are not anymore on the negotiating tableTurkish Cypriot daily Kibrisli (05.11.15) reports that Serdar Denktas, leader of the Democratic Party - National Forces (DP-UG) has alleged that the red lines consisted in the on-going negotiations for years now are not anymore on the negotiating table.
Speaking to the residents of the occupied villages of Assia, Lyssi and Vatili within the framework of his "enlightening visits" on the Cyprus talks, Denktas stressed that they will try to enlighten the people with the information they have regarding the negotiation process. He explained to them the necessary elements, which should be included in an agreement to be reached for a viable solution. Denktas added that the greatest mistake is to spread fear or to bombard them with hopes and wrong information.
Denktas said that the aim of his visits along the way of the Cyprus talks is to transfer a significant part of the people's sensitivities to the Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci and to progress the aspects that the people definitely want to see in the context of the plan, which will be submitted for referendum to reach a viable solution.
Finally, Denktas warned that the people will not approve an agreement that will put their future under threat, will affect negatively their lives and will drag the Turkish Cypriot "people" to uncertainty.
 A signature campaign by SODEP for the return of Asil Nadir in the occupied area of the Republic of CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Kibrisli (05.11.15) reports that the leader of the Social Democrat Party (SODEP) Tozun Tunali announced that they have launched a signature campaign in order to bring back in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus the convicted Turkish Cypriot businessman Asil Nadir.
Tunali argued that the "TRNC" (translator's note: the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus) needs Asil Nadir, who is important for the Turkish Cypriots.
 Presidential system, new charter back on agenda in TurkeyAccording to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 05.11.15), Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has overtly presented the creation of a new Constitution that would pave the way for a transition to a presidential system as the number-one item on the agenda of the newly elected legislature.
"Turkey's need to solve the issue of a new Constitution was one of the most important messages of Nov. 1. The nation is waiting for this", Erdogan said on Nov. 4, during a group of neighbourhood and village heads (muhtars) at the first of such regular meetings held at his presidential palace since the Nov. 1 snap elections.
Although Erdogan this time did not directly referred to his long-held, naked ambition to create an executive presidential system, earlier in the same day, his presidential spokesperson, Ibrahim Kal?n, said that Turkey is considering holding a referendum on changing from a parliamentary to a presidential system.
"I hope that they won't fail to make contributions for preparations for a new Constitution in the new period and sit down at the table and solve this issue", Erdogan said, calling on all political parties that will be represented in parliament after the Nov. 1 snap elections.
Erdogan also noted that he had already discussed the issue at a meeting with Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on Nov. 3.
As a matter of fact, Davutoglu already raised the issue publicly early on Nov. 2, addressing thousands of people who waited for hours in the cold to hear him speak from the balcony of the headquarters of his Justice and Development Party (AKP) in Ankara.
Hailing the result of the Nov. 1 vote which endowed his party with a legislative majority sufficient to form a single-party government as a "victory for democracy", Davutoglu urged Turkey's political parties to work together on a new Constitution, which Erdogan, the founding leader of the AKP, has said he would like to see include executive powers for the presidency.
"An issue like the presidential system can't be decided without the nation. If the mechanism requires a referendum, then we will hold a referendum," Kal?n told reporters, adding that the change was not simply a personal issue for Erdogan.
"The executive presidency is not a question of our President's personal future. He has already entered the history books. The basic motivation is to make the system in Turkey as effective as possible."
According to unofficial results, the AKP secured 317 seats in the 550-member parliament. For a constitutional change in Parliament in favour of the presidential system in line with Erdogan's aspirations, the AKP needed to win 367 seats, though 330 seats would be enough to take the issue to a referendum.
On Nov. 3, the AKP's appeal found conditional support from the Republican People's Party (CHP), which has clear reservations about a presidential system ? a stated goal of the AKP.
 Davutoglu: Military operations against PKK to continue in winterAccording to Ankara Anatolia news agency (05.11.15), the operations against terrorist organization PKK will continue even during the winter, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Wednesday.
According to a written statement from the Prime Minister's office, Davutoglu gave orders to continue military operations against the PKK during a security meeting on Wednesday. The Prime Minister reportedly congratulated the armed forces for their "extraordinary effort".
"It is decided to continue the operation against separatist terrorist organization by Turkish armed forces without slowing down," said the Prime Ministry statement. "Our respected PM gave orders to proceed with the operations during the winter too."
Meanwhile, Turkish Foreign Minister Feridun Sinirlioglu, addressing a conference on the future of Middle East in Erbil in northern Iraq's Kurdish region on Wednesday, said that Turkey has plans to launch a military operation against Daesh (ISIL) in the near future. "Daesh threatens our way of life and security. [...] We have plans to act militarily against them in the coming days. You will see. We should all stand together against this danger", he said.
The Turkish Foreign Minister also said that Turkey would continue supporting Iraq and the Iraqi Kurdish region in the fight against Daesh. "We will continue our efforts to eliminate all terrorist organizations. We will act in a responsible manner so that the Kurdish region and Iraq can be successful in the fight against terror. This is a very clear message to Iraq and the Kurdish region for a bright future," he said. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION