|Sunday, 29 March 2020|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 15-11-24
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 223/15 24.11.2015
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Turkey shot down Russian-made jet for airspace violation near Syrian borderTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (24.11.15) reports that two Turkish F-16's shot down a Russian-made SU-24 jet on Nov. 24 near the Syrian border after it violated Turkish airspace, presidential sources said.
Turkey shot down the jet after it failed to heed the warnings within the rules of engagement. Initial reports said the jet belonged to Russia, but presidential sources later clarified that the jet's nationality was unknown.
The Turkish Armed Force also stated that the jet of "unknown nationality" had been warned 10 times within five minutes about its violation of the border.
Meanwhile, a Turkish official told Reuters that two warplanes approached the Turkish border and were warned before one of them was shot down.
The jet crashed into tents in Latakia's Yamadi village near the Syrian border where Turkmens are currently staying, according to Turkmen sources. Two pilots were seen landing with the aid of parachutes, the witnesses said.
One of the pilots was killed and the other was captured by Turkmen forces in the region CNN Turk reported, citing local sources.
Russian helicopters are currently searching the area to reach the pilots along with the wreckage of the jet, Dogan News Agency reported.
Meanwhile, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu spoke with Chief of Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar and Foreign Minister Feridun Sinirlioglu regarding the incident, the Prime Minister's Office said. Turkey will consult with NATO and the United Nations on the developments at the border with Syria, the PM's Office added.
Akar also informed President Recep Tayyip Erdogan about the incident, NTV reported.
However, the Russian Defense Ministry said the downed Russian jet, which was at an altitude of 6,000 meters, did not violate Turkish airspace, adding that the fate of the pilots was unclear.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov is due to visit Ankara on Nov. 25 for bilateral talks. Turkish Foreign Ministry sources said the meeting would take place as planned.
 Akansoy: "White card" will be given to 40,000 persons within five yearsTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (23.11.15) reported that Asim Akansoy, self-styled interior minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has said that within the framework of granting the permanent "residence permit document" called as "white card", the regime will at a first stage give this "white card" to around ten thousand persons.
In an interview with Havadis, Akansoy said that 40,000 persons will be "white card" holders within five years and added: "From now on the criteria regarding the citizenship will be essential. [?] Becoming a citizen will not be so easy [?] The persons who will take a white card as of the day we will start giving it, must have a continuous work permit for six years. Now citizenship is granted because of marriage and to persons who are continuously working in the island for 12 years with a work permit and have no criminal activity".
Admitting that there are many persons working "illegally" in the occupied area of Cyprus, Akansoy said that registering the "illegal workforce" is a very important issue and pointed out that they cannot control the people working illegally.
 Ozyigit describes as "very important" the return of the occupied fenced off city of Varosha to its legal ownersTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (24.11.15) reports that Cemal Ozyigit, chairman of the Social Democracy Party (TDP), has said that opening the occupied fenced off city of Varosha and transferring it to its legal owners is very important for Famagusta and the area. Addressing the 5th regular congress of his party in occupied Famagusta, Ozyigit noted that they are in solidarity with the organizations which struggle having this aim and mainly with the Famagusta Initiative. Ozyigit added: "Varosha will open. My building contractors, my workers will definitely be there during its reconstruction, my shopkeepers and businesspeople will also have a say in the settlement to come. This is an indispensable condition for us".
Ozyigit argued that the Cyprus problem passes through a "very intensive and critical period" and pointed out that their duty is to offer their support to Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci and his team for reaching a just solution, which will protect the rights and the interests of both communities.
 Turkish seasonal workers will enter the occupied area of Cyprus only with their identity cardsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris (24.11.15) reports that the so-called council of ministers of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus announced that the Turkish citizens, who are going to the occupied area of Cyprus, with the purpose to work as workers of cutting citrus fruits or forest workers will be able to enter in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus only with their identity cards and not their passports until June 1, 2016.
According to the decision, the Turkish workers will be granted a "working permission" for maximum six months and the decision has been in effect since November 1, 2015.
 Workers at the "municipality" of occupied Yialousa protested over their economic difficultiesUnder the front-page title: "Last stop at the embassy", Turkish Cypriot daily Detay newspaper (24.11.15) reports that the workers at the "municipality" of occupied Yialousa village organized yesterday a protest in front of the "Turkish embassy" in the occupied part of Lefkosia in order to express their dissatisfaction for the fact that they are unpaid for the last three months.
According to the paper, a group of seven persons marched yesterday from occupied Yialousa to the occupied part of Lefkosia in order to protest for the bad economic situation they experience. The workers said that they decided to apply to the "Turkish embassy" asking for finding solutions to their problems due to the indifference of the "state".
 A new "state hospital" will be built in the occupied part of NicosiaTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis (24.11.15) reports that the self-styled economy, finance, budget and planning committee of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus approved by a majority vote the 289 million 854 thousand 700TL "health ministry's budget".
In his speech at the "committee", the self-styled minister of health Salih Izbul announced that a new "state hospital" will be built in an area of 300-400 donum behind the facilities of "BRT" in the occupied part of Nicosia. He added that the "hospital" will have 1,000 bed-capacity and will be constructed as a health complex. He noted that their aim is for the "hospital" to open in 2017.
 Two candidates to run for TDP leadership and the party's 5th ordinary congressTurkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (24.11.15) reports that the 5th ordinary congress of the Social Democratic Party (TDP) will take place on December 6.
The chairman of the party Cemal Ozyigit and the party's chairman in the "district" of occupied Famagusta Mustafa Emiroglulari applied to run for the party's leadership.
During the congress of the party, the "central committee" and the leader of the party will be elected.
 Illegal "GAU" university opened a campus in Sri LankaTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (24.11.15) reports that the illegal American University of Keryneia ("GAU") in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus has announced that Turkey's Council of Higher Education (YOK) has approved the de facto opening of the "GAU Sri Lanka campus".
According to the paper, Serkat Akpinar, "founding rector" of the illegal "GAU", accompanied by a delegation, attended the graduation ceremony which took place at the campus in Sri Lanka. Amongst the participants were the Turkish Ambassador in Sri Lanka, Tunca Ozcuhada and several high level officials from Sri Lanka.
Issuing a written statement, the illegal "GAU" pointed to the importance of the "university campuses" abroad for the promotion of the "TRNC" and underlined that the voice of the Turkish Cypriot community is heard abroad through education.
 EU, Turkey leaders to meet on migration on November 29Turkish Today's Zaman daily (24.11.15) reports that European Union and Turkish leaders will meet in Brussels on Sunday to discuss migration issues and improving relations between the EU and Ankara, the chairman of the summit Donald Tusk said on Twitter on Monday.
"The EU badly needs Turkey's cooperation to stem the flow of migrants to the 28-nation bloc as wars in Syria, Iraq and Africa have triggered a flood of an estimated 1 million refugees seeking a safer and better life in the rich EU only this year", the paper writes.
"I call an EU-Turkey summit on Sunday 29 November at 16:00. Purpose: Re-energize our relations and stem migration flow," Tusk said. "My decision follows a positive recommendation by the (European) Commission and phone call this evening with Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu."
Tusk, who chairs meetings of European Union leaders, agreed on November 12 to hold a meeting in Brussels with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan once an agreement on stemming migration flows was finalized. Tusk said at the time it was almost certain to take place in November. Since then negotiations have continued, officials and diplomats have said.
 Top US commander is visiting Turkey amid joint anti-ISIL operationsTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (24.11.15) reports that the vice chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff General Paul J. Selva will hold talks with his Turkish counterpart during his visit to Turkey on Nov. 24-25, sources have told the Hurriyet Daily News.
Selva will meet Yasar Guler, the deputy chief of Turkish General Staff, to discuss joint efforts to combat the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and planned anti-ISIL coalition operations.
A possible joint military operation to establish a "terror-free zone" in the area between Mare and Jarablus in northern Syria is also said to be on the agenda of the two commanders.
 Turkish military board to convene under PM DavutogluTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (24.11.15) reports that the Supreme Military Council (YAS) will convene on November 26, chaired by Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
Members of the Council including Chief of General Staff General Hulusi Akar, the Defence Minister, Force Commanders, Army Commanders, the Gendarmerie Forces Commander, Navy Commanders, and four star Generals, will participate at the top defence meeting, which is held twice a year.
The gathering comes as Turkey and the U.S. are in talks ahead of a possible operation between Mare and Jerablus in northern Syria, aiming to create a "terror-free zone," and also amid increasing attacks on Turkmens in Syria by Russian air strikes. In its winter gathering, the YAS typically discusses the military's combat capacity. It last convened for a regular meeting in August to decide on appointments and retirements in the top echelons of the Turkish Armed Forces. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION