|Tuesday, 26 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 15-12-15
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 239/15 15.12.2015
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 First step taken in accelerated accession talks: EU opens new chapterTurkish daily Sabah newspaper (15.12.15) reports that Turkey and the European Union on Monday officially opened a new chapter in Ankara's long-stalled membership process.
A Turkish delegation, including Mehmet Simsek, the deputy prime minister in charge of the economy; EU Minister and Chief Negotiator Volkan Bozkir and Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, went to Brussels on Monday for the opening of the new chapter. Speaking at a joint press conference before the meeting with EU officials, the Turkish officials said that this needs to be considered as a very significant moment for the future of Turkish-EU relations.
Simsek said that Turkey has the strong foundation required to fulfill this chapter and that the quality of institutions are significant to ensure its permanent stability. "We have a very comprehensive reform program; these are all reforms that will positively influence [Turkey's accession] process with the EU," Simsek said and added: "I believe the revitalization of the accession process will have a positive reflection on strong investments in Turkey." He said that Chapter 17 will have a direct impact in the lives of people in Turkey.
"[Chapter] 17 is a significant one because it is about price stability, micro-financial stability; it's about stable sustainable [and] balanced growth. My government is committed to solidifying the central bank independency," Simsek said. "The quality of institutions is critical to long-term prosperity. That's why EU accession is important through the process. We are committed to improving [the] quality of institutions. This chapter sends these strong messages - we are committed," he added.
Bozkir said that the opening of the chapter on economy is a "crucial moment" for the country's future EU membership.
In an interview with the Turkish broadcaster NTV later on Monday, Bozkir said that talks between Ankara and the European Union about updating Turkey's customs union with the EU will begin next year. Underlying this change is Turkey's promise to help stem the flow of migrants to Europe in return for cash, visa-free travel and renewed talks on joining the European Union, with which Ankara formally started its membership talks a year ago.
Previously, speaking after the third meeting of the Reform Action Group (RAG) in Ankara under his chairmanship on Friday, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said that his ruling party needs the opposition parties' assistance in Parliament to meet the deadlines agreed with the EU on such issues like visa liberalization, the refugee action plan and opening new chapters to accelerate Turkey's accession to the EU.
 Kilicadoroglu: Turkish Parliament needs to be informed about the Cyprus talksTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (15.12.15) reports that Kemal Kilicdaroglu, leader of the Republican People's Party (CHP), told the Hurriyet Daily News in an interview that he fully supports the ongoing accelerated EU process and called upon the EU to open more chapters if it wants to contribute to the democratization process.
"But there is something the media does not highlight: Cyprus. Parliament needs to be informed about Cyprus [talks]. We need to know what concessions will be given or not throughout this process because the Cyprus issue sits at the very heart of all these things. Although we are focused on visa liberalization and the EU process, Westerners are setting their hopes on the outcome of the Cyprus talks. We are not even discussing this in parliament", he stated.
 Diplomatic sources said that a solution plan on the Cyprus problem is almost readyUnder the front-page title: "Plan by the end of January and a quintet summit immediately after", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi (15.12.15) writes that it has been made known that the two sides in Cyprus have agreed to present a plan by the end of January 2016 or by the beginning of February 2016, for the solution of the Cyprus problem.
Invoking an anonymous diplomatic source, the paper writes that the solution plan is almost ready except from some small issues that need to be retouched and adds that as it is planned, a quintet summit will take place within the above-mentioned period of time in order for the guarantee issue to be discussed.
The diplomatic source said that the process for the solution of the Cyprus problem is "beyond retrieve". The source added that the fact that the two leaders' aim is to come up with a plan by the end of January or the beginning of February the latest and present it to the "people" for approval, shows their strong goodwill to reach a positive result.
The sources also underlined that the three guarantor countries are already prepared for the quintet summit. The other involved party is the five Permanent Members of the UN Security Council, which will be involved in the process right after the end of the quintet summit.
On the other hand, another source close to the paper said that the solution plan will be set to both sides for approval in separate and simultaneous referenda probably in March, April or May.
 Turkey's financial contribution to the occupation regime's budget deficit has been reduced by 3,19%Turkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (15.12.15) under the title: "Turkey has reduced its financial contribution to the TRNC's budget", reports that Turkey has reduced its contribution to the "TRNC's 2016 budget" by 3.19% comparing with 2015.
According to the paper, Turkey which has reduced its financial contribution to the "budget deficit of the TRNC", has sent the message to the Turkish Cypriots to "meet their deficit" and asked for the "state" to achieve the level of being able to pay the interest of its "national debt".
According to information acquired by the paper, there is no change towards the Republic of Turkey's policy for its aid in the "TRNC", but it had only decided to reduce its contribution to the "budget deficit".
Turkey has also suspended its financial contribution for the projects that envisaged the implementation of the build-operate-transfer (BOT) model. According to the paper, Turkey has not allocated funds for the projects that envisaged privatizations for the departments of water affairs, ports, electricity and telecommunications, since, these departments have not met their responsibilities for the implementation of the protocol.
 The breakaway regime will use a big part of Turkey's economic aid for investmentsTurkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi newspaper (15.12.15) reports that the self-styled minister of economy Sunan Atun stated that a big part of the economic aid that the breakaway regime will receive from the Republic of Turkey will be used for investments.
Atun stated that development is needed for investments and private sectors of the breakaway regime and added that the 2010-2012 economic program that they have followed must be taken as a good microeconomic example for putting the public service expenses under control. He said that similar measures will be taken for the period 2016-2018.
He also stated that the budget for the "ministry of economy, trade and industry" has been approved by the "assembly and this is 17,781,400 Turkish Lira.
 "TRNC" asks for an urgent loan of 50 million TL from TurkeyTurkish daily Milliyet (online, 15.12.15) reports that the so-called government of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus asked from the Turkish Deputy Prime Minister responsible for Cyprus affair Tugrul Turkes a loan of 50 million TL with the condition that it will be paid within 2016 due to their difficulties in the agricultural sector. However, the paper reports that Ankara's approach is not to take any further step if they do not implement the necessary reforms first.
According to information obtained by the paper, the "demand loan" was in the agenda during the illegal visit of Turkey's Assembly Speaker Ismail Kahraman in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus. Turkes, who accompanied Kahraman, met with the leader of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) Mehmet Ali Talat to discuss the issue regarding the administration of the water coming from Turkey. During the meeting, Talat explained that they also need urgently 50 million TL in order to make compensation payments to the farmers for wheat and barley damages. Talat added that they need the money as a loan with the promise that they will pay them back. Although, Turkes said that he will take care of the issue, he explained that the necessary reforms in the agricultural sector should be implemented.
According to the paper's information, Ankara does not approve to give a loan, and it insists that they (translator's note: the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus) should accelerate the reforms that have not been carried out for three years now. Ankara is also planning to open its aid sources with the commencing of implementing reform steps.
Self-styled minister of agriculture Erkut Sahali told Milliyet that the "TRNC" needs the money before the reforms. He explained that they will announce by the end of the month the reforms in agriculture, adding that the water coming from Turkey is very important for the agricultural sector.
 The occupation army prohibits entrance into occupied Louroudjina villageUnder the front page title "Behold the pen", Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (15.12.15) reports that the self-styled foreign ministry of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus did not give permission to Greek Cypriots to enter the occupied Louroudjina village following an invitation by the owners of the paper to the celebration of the 18th anniversary from the circulation of Avrupa-Afrika newspaper.
The publisher of the paper, Sener Levent writes, inter alia, the following in his column today:
"[?] We had invited our Greek Cypriot friends to the celebration we would hold today. However, the entrance of the Greek Cypriots to the village was prohibited, heaven knows why. They said that special permit should be taken for them. We have prepared a list and submitted it to the ministry of foreign affairs. Anastasiades and Christofias were among our invitees. And the Russian Ambassador as well. As soon as our foreign affairs ministry takes such a list, what does it do? It asks the military command. We do not receive the reply from the command, but from the ministry. What was the reply? 'Permit cannot be given'! [?] We asked information from Mustafa Akinci's presidential palace, asking them if they could undertake any initiative for permit. They did not even reply. Moreover, we also invited Akinci, but yesterday he informed us that he could not come. It is surely not very easy to come to the celebration of this newspaper and especially to Louroudjina.
Those at the foreign ministry reproached. 'How could you think of holding it at Louroudjina', they said. They even said: 'Grit your teeth and bear it, after four months there will be a solution any way'. [?]
We cannot even go to Louroudjina and you are still talking about the solution? Those, who are prisoners and think that they are free as they do not realize that they are prisoners, are more prisoners than the prisoners. [?]
We are an independent newspaper which says things that are not said, writes things that are not written and does things that are not done. Breaking the taboos is our job. This is why we chose Louroudjina. Those from Turkey can enter Louroudjina and the Greek Cypriots cannot. Did you refer to a solution Mustafa? Behold, this is the latest situation in Cyprus!"
 The water coming from Turkey to the occupied area of Cyprus flows directly to the seaTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis (15.12.15), on its front page under the title "Sahali: Turkey does not threaten us", reports that the self-styled minister of agriculture and natural resources Erkut Sahali said that they have not yet reached an agreement with Turkey on the issue of how the water coming from Turkey will be collected and distributed. He added that there is not any pressure or threat by Turkey regarding the administration of the water. However, he added that they will find an agreement suitable for both.
The paper reports that a crisis is created regarding who will pay the electric costs of the Guzelyali pumping station in occupied Keryneia and the dam in occupied Panagra, because there is not a clear strategy on the issue of "water administration" between Turkey and the "TRNC" (translator's note: the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus). Because of the increasing costs, Turkey's General Directorate of State Hydraulic Works (DSI) has decided that the water coming from Anamur dam to the pumping station "Guzelyali" in occupied Keryneia is emptied in the sea under the name of "testing working". According to the paper, DSI paid the electric costs for two months which was around to 2 million TL. In order to reduce the costs, the pumping station has stopped pumping the water and the water as it is coming from Turkey, flows directly to the sea.
The paper writes that the so-called coalition government between CTP and UBP has not found a middle ground on the water issue. Even the self-styled prime minister Omer Kalyoncu did not visit Turkey last week, which was a planned visit for the water issue, with the explanation that there were the "budget debates".
 TDP to hold its general congress on SundayTurkish Cypriot daily Vatan newspaper (15.12.15) reports that the general congress of the Social Democracy Party (TDP) will take place next Sunday.
According to the paper, Cemal Ozyigit, "chairman" of TDP and Mustafa Emiroglulari, "district chairman" of the party in occupied Famagusta will run as candidates for the party's leadership.
 Turkish President's 'double-referenda' idea causes uproarTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (15.12.15) reports that the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's recent proposal for holding two referenda on the creation of a new constitution and a transition into a presidential system has drawn the ire of opposition parties of Turkey, while prompting Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu to underline that any system change should not lead to a "hybrid system" in which responsibilities are muddled.
"In a presidential, semi-presidential or partisan-president system, comfort will come in the swift making of decisions," Erdogan said in his remarks subject to debate. "Eliminating 'double-headedness' is very important," Erdogan also said in remarks published in several dailies on Dec. 14".
"But if we are to build a new system, then this system should be clear. I believe that no hybrid system would bring a positive result. My choice is pure and clear, a system where distribution of authorities and responsibilities is clear," Davutoglu said on Dec. 14 in an interview with A Haber news channel. "There is a need not to distract attention. I don't think that it is right to constantly make speculation over the relationship of the president and the prime minister," he also emphasized.
The opposition parties gave the cold shoulder to Erdogan's proposal, calling it unrealistic and a new maneuver by the president to make his aspirations come true through a different method.
Erdogan's proposal has never been implemented anywhere in the world, Deputy Co-Chair Meral Danis Bestas of the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) said.
According to Nationalist Movement Party's (MHP) Secretary-General Ismet Buyukataman, Erdogan's remarks signal a move to "implement a secret agenda."
Meanwhile, HDP's Deputy Parliamentary Group Chair Idris Baluken argued that the presidential system is an agenda item only for Erdogan.
 US Embassy in Ankara to limit services over security threatTurkish daily Sabah newspaper (15.12.15) reports that the US Embassy in Turkey's capital Ankara will be limiting its services Monday and Tuesday, over a security threat, reports have said.
An embassy spokeswoman in Ankara said services would be limited through Tuesday, but did not provide further information regarding the matter.
The United States Consulate in Istanbul was reportedly closed on December 9 over intelligence about a Daesh terrorist who was planning to carry out a suicide attack in the compound.
The United States Consulate in Istanbul cancelled consular services on Dec. 9 due to a possible security threat, officials said in a statement published on the consulate's website on Tuesday. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION
(CS / AA)