|Saturday, 16 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 16-03-16
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 50/16 16.03.2016
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Fear escalated in the occupied area of Cyprus after the recent bomb attack in AnkaraUnder the title "tension for terror in northern Cyprus", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (16.03.16) reports that the "terrorist attacks" in Turkey and the recent bomb attack in Ankara have caused the fear that such attacks could take place in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus as well.
Panic was created in the "country", writes Kibris, after the allegation that the British secret services had warned that crowded places in the occupied area of the island should be avoided because danger exists.
While bags, packages and similar forgotten things in various places had not been attracting attention in the past, now they are causing doubts regarding the existence of a bomb. Such a fear was created yesterday in occupied Famagusta by a rucksack forgotten behind a trash bin next to a bus stop and in occupied Trikomo by a suitcase left in front of a market. In both cases no bomb was detected after the "police" conducted a search in the area.
In occupied Morfou, however, an 81-millimeter mortal projectile was found in a trash bin in the road where self-styled minister of education Kemal Durust is located, something which caused questions and fear. No answer was given to the questions "what would have been done with this mortal projectile and why it had been abandoned in the trash", notes the paper.
Meanwhile, the self-styled ministry of interior and labor denied yesterday the information that the British secret services have warned people to avoid crowded places in the occupied area of Cyprus due to the danger of a bomb attack and called on the people not to pay attention to any other information except for the "official statements".
Finally, the chairmen of the two "coalition partners", Mehmet Ali Talat (Republican Turkish Party) and Huseyin Ozgurgun (National Unity Party), stated yesterday that measures have been taken at the highest level in the occupied area of Cyprus against "any internal unrest".
 Burcu comments on Anastasiades - Davutoglu meeting: The negotiations are held between the community leadersTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (16.03.16) reports that Baris Burcu, spokesman of the Turkish Cypriot leader, was called to comment on the recent meeting between President Anastasiades and Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu in Brussels and said that the solution of the Cyprus problem will be produced by the Cypriot leaders. In statements yesterday, Burcu said the following on the issue:
"The subjects of the Cyprus problem are the Cypriots and the solution process is being conducted under the guidance of the leaders and by the negotiating teams. It is already conducted within the framework of the principles of the agreement text of the 11th of February and this is the substance of the issue. And this has a natural logic. The solution to be found in Cyprus will interest all sides. Those who will be affected the most are the Turkish Cypriots and the Greek Cypriots".
Burcu pointed out that the lifting of the veto of the Republic of Cyprus on some chapters regarding Turkey's EU accession process has been discussed during the meeting and alleged: "The EU is also sick and tired. When Turkey's negotiating chapters will open, a veto by the Greek Cypriot side is in question".
Referring to the meetings between Turkey on the one hand and Greece and Cyprus on the other, Burcu argued that "the indirect elements should never get ahead of the main element" and "the main element is the overall solution of the Cyprus problem". He said that Turkey is the subject of its own accession process to the EU and shares information with the Turkish Cypriots on this issue, but "we may not be informed on every detail regarding every process".
Asked whether they had been informed regarding the above-mentioned meeting, Burcu said that it might not be possible for them to be informed regarding "sudden developments", adding that "we also have the opportunity to communicate a few days later".
Replying to a question on the influence on the Cyprus problem of the overcoming of what the journalist called as "veto crisis" between Cyprus and Turkey, Burcu argued that their priority is the solution of the Cyprus problem and added that the opening of the ports will positively influence the Cyprus problem. He said: "Turkey opening its ports to the south will benefit to our being opened to the world. If such an environment could be achieved, it will secure benefits to everyone. However, I think that this will not happen, because I know the positions of the sides".
Referring to some issues of the Cyprus negotiations, Burcu reiterated that the past history of the "peoples" of the island has not been built on trust and that Turkey's guarantees are important for the Turkish Cypriot community. "With this history of mistrust which we lived, Turkey's guarantees are absolutely necessary for the Turkish Cypriots", he argued.
Asked on the point at which the Cyprus talks have come, Burcu said:
"I think that we have come close to the light, but the acceleration of our approaching the light has slowed down. We have to consider this to be natural. The needs of the elections process and the solution process are different. I am not dreaming that we could achieve a progress, the solution on the difficult issues in this process. [?] On the issue of governance and power sharing important agreements have been reached except for the rotating presidency and some issues as such related to it. [?] I think that if the rotating presidency comes to a point of being handled in a manner, it will be related to the cross voting. [?] We have not entered into a bargain on the land. The property will be discussed at the final stage. We have achieved an agreement on some criteria on the property. Some definitions should be made. For example what is the 'essential development'? Because devil is hidden in the details. What is the 'user' expression encompassing and how? We need progress on these issues. [?]"
Referring to the issue of the "citizenship", Burcu said that the Turkish Cypriot leadership's effort is in the direction of all "TRNC citizens" becoming citizens of the federal Cyprus. Noting that the sides have shared information regarding their "citizens", Burcu argued that "our population is around 220 thousands and their [population] around 800 thousands. The details are not important at all. The principles are important. We are seeking for an arrangement by which all TRNC citizens to become citizens [of federal Cyprus]. This is our promise and we are backing it. [?]"
 Ozgurgun: "Akinci told me he cannot agree with Anastasiades"Turkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (16.03.16) reports that Huseyin Ozgurgun, leader of the National Unity Party (UBP), has alleged that Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci had told him that he could not agree with President Anastasiades on the Cyprus problem.
Addressing a meeting of his party in occupied Goneyli last night, Ozgurgun claimed that a solution to the Cyprus problem could not be reached even after another 50 years, because "the Greek Cypriots having this mentality do not intent to make an agreement". He alleged:
"I am saying this based on what? I am informed about all the developments both as party chairman and as former minister of foreign affairs. Whoever the president is, not only the Greek Cypriot side has no intention of an agreement, but no one who says 'I am the leader' in the Turkish Cypriot side can sign an agreement with the Greek Cypriot side which has such an approach. A TRNC president who will sign and accept these conditions will only become submissive and will give a kind of a present to the Greek Cypriot side. During the latest meeting at the president's office, Mr Akinci also said that they could not do that. 'I cannot agree with Anastasiades', he said".
Claiming that the information coming from the Greek Cypriot side is different, he alleged:
"The Turkish army will be withdrawn, they say. During a telephone conversation I had with Mr Akinci, he told me that the withdrawal of the Turkish army from the island is not possible. The Turkish Cypriots will never accept this. Therefore the Greek Cypriots lie, he said. And I asked from him to make this statement. 'You make it', he said to me. Therefore, we can be relaxed on this issue. No Turkish president can sign an agreement which does not include Turkey's active and effective guarantees. First we will not allow it. However, president Akinci also told me that he would not sign it".
 Tusk met with Davutoglu in Ankara; Tusk: 'We cannot accept terrorism as new normal"Ankara Anatolia news agency (15.03.16) reported that the European Council President Donald Tusk emphasized on Tuesday his solidarity with Turkey in the aftermath of the recent Ankara bomb attack that killed 37 people.
Speaking at a news conference with Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, Tusk expressed his condolences to the victims and families affected by another appalling terrorist attack in Ankara and said: "We cannot accept terrorism as the new normal".
"No matter how many times it has happened, we will never get used to it and we will always fight it," Tusk said. "Let me reiterate this pledge and stress that we stand together in the fight against terrorism, yesterday, today and tomorrow", he added.
Tusk is in Ankara ahead of a second EU-Turkey summit later this week that will focus on migration as Europe seeks to seal an agreement that will stem the flow of refugees from Turkey to Greece.
Turkey has also demanded 6 billion euro ($6.66 billion) to help it care for refugees, increased progress on its EU bid and visa-free travel for Turkish nationals in the EU.
Tusk said the summit would "put together the elements needed to make this proposal legally sound, in line with EU and international law, practically implementable and, of course, acceptable to all 28 EU member states as well as to Turkey."
However, much work remained, he told reporters. "Today we established a catalogue of issues that we need to address together if we are to reach an agreement by Friday."
Davutoglu in his turn said that the essence of Turkey's proposal was the "human dimension". "Turkey suggested a proposal, within its moral responsibility, to make more people not die in the Aegean Sea and to decrease illegal crossings and to finish them completely, if possible", stressed Davutoglu, adding: "We have never negotiated about money. We have never regarded this issue as a financial matter. This issue is a humanitarian issue."
 "On the way for implementing the Ankara Protocol; The next 48 hours are critical"Under the above title, Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (16.03.16) reports that according to some allegations, the possibility of reaching a formula for lifting the veto of the Republic of Cyprus on the opening of negotiating chapters in Turkey's EU accession negotiations is very high while the summit of 17-18 March in Brussels on the refugees' issue is approaching.
Citing a "high ranking diplomatic source", the paper writes that Turkey will implement the Ankara Agreement for all 28 EU member states and in return for this the Republic of Cyprus could open the five chapters it had frozen in Turkey's accession negotiations.
The source said the following to the paper: "The next 48 hours are very critical. Such a climate had been created ten years ago. We are really experiencing dazzling developments and an unbelievable diplomatic traffic is being conducted. The issue is the refugees issue between Turkey and the EU and as Turkish Cypriot side we are also an important element in this process".
The source disagreed with the news published in the press that the Turkish Cypriot side had been by-passed during these developments. The source added: "Lifting the veto in return to ports has been on the agenda for a long time and there have been 4-5 initiatives for its solution but unfortunately these initiatives were not materialized. The possibility of being materialized this time is high, but in such sensitive issues as these anything can happen until the last moment".
Meanwhile, according to the paper, after the meeting he had yesterday in Ankara with the President of the European Council Donald Tusk, who visited Turkey after holding a meeting with President Anastasiades in Nicosia, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said: "Tusk conveyed to us their views after meetings they held with member states. And we also expressed our views".
 A "technical committee" of the so-called prime minister due to Turkey to finalize the "economic program"Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (16.03.16) reports that a "delegation of the technical committee", of the occupied regime, headed by the "undersecretary" of the "prime ministry", will visit today Ankara with the aim to put into final form the "economic protocol" to be signed with Turkey.
According to information given by illegal TAK's correspondent, the "delegation" will carry out contacts with the Turkish delegation, in order to put the final touches on the 70-pages draft document of the "economic program".
The "delegation" is composed by the "minister of finance", the so-called minister of economy, industry and trade, the so-called minister of agriculture, natural resources and food and bureaucrats from the "state planning organization" ("DPO").
 Representatives of the "Turkish Cypriot Hotelier's union" evaluated their participation in ITB Berlin Tourism fairTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (16.03.16) reports on statements by several "representatives" of the "Turkish Cypriot Hotelier's union", who attended the ITB Berlin Tourism fair which took place in Germany recently.
According to the paper, the "representatives" in the sector exerted efforts during their stay in Germany to turn the negative atmosphere exist in the region in the sector of tourism, as positive and promote the "TRNC" as the right alternative for tourists.
In statement on the issue, Esra Celikeri, "director of the office of the union", explained to the paper that within the framework of their participation in the fair, they held contacts with hoteliers and agencies in Germany and signed several agreements.
Celikeri referred also to the figures published by the so-called ministry of tourism according to which Germany ranks second on the number of tourists visiting the "TRNC", with Turkey comes first and the UK third.
Also speaking, Suleyman Kansu, "director" of Salamis Bay Hotel in the occupied area of Cyprus, stated, inter alia, that they had decided to take radical decision to promote the "country's tourism".
Referring to the crisis occurred in Turkey's tourism sector and especially in Antalya as a result of the crisis with Russia, Kansu stressed the need to make long-term plans and promote Cyprus to the European tourists as "the rightest alternative at the right time". He further added that their aim is to give incentives to tourists who will be transferred to the "TRNC" with charter flights.
Moreover, Ufak Caga, "general director" of Chato Lambousa hotel, said, inter alia, that they will try to turn the negative atmosphere in the region as an advantage and attract as more tourists they can.
 805,422 registered subscribers of cell phones in the occupied area of CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Bakis newspaper (16.03.16) reports that according to figures given by the "Information technologies and communication organization" on the electronic information sector in the occupied area of Cyprus, the number of registered subscribers of cell phones in the "TRNC" until the end of 2015, was 805, 422.
According to the figures, 413, 392 are active subscribers with "north Cyprus Turkcell" mobile operator while 243,002 are active subscribers with Telsim mobile network.
The figures have shown also that "Turkcell" holds 61.3% of the market share while Telsim holds 38.7%. Moreover, the total registered mobile subscriptions which are active are 656,394.
 Erdogan: "Definition of 'terrorists' should be broadened to include 'accomplices'"Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (15.03.16) reported that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has argued in the aftermath of the third major suicide bomb attack in Ankara in the past five months that the definition of "terrorists" needs to be broadened to include supporters of terrorism, who are equally guilty.
"Their titles as an MP, an academic, an author, a journalist do not change the fact that they are actually terrorists. An act of terror is successful because of these supporters, these accomplices," Erdogan told reporters during a dinner to celebrate Doctor's Day on March 14.
"It's not only the person who pulls the trigger, but those who made that possible who should also be defined as terrorists", Erdogan added.
"Some circles, at home and abroad, are at a junction. They will either side with us, or with terrorists. There is no middle way," Erdogan also said.
 A British academic detained by Istanbul police over 'PKK propaganda'According to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (15.03.16) a British academic has been taken into custody on suspicion of making propaganda for the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), after distributing leaflets inviting people to Nevruz holiday celebrations on March 21.
Chris Stephenson, a lecturer in computer science at Istanbul's Bilgi University, was taken into custody in Istanbul on March 15, after he went to the Istanbul Police Department in a show of support for the three Turkish academics detained on March 14. The three academics had been detained in relation to an investigation into signatories of a petition calling for an end to clashes between security forces and PKK militants in January, and they were set to appear at court on March 15.
Commenting on the incident, officials from the British Embassy in Ankara told the Hurriyet Daily News that they are aware of the detention of a British national and that they are providing consular assistance.
Stephenson was taken to the Istanbul Police Department upon a prosecutor's instruction on accusations of "making propaganda of a terror organization," as the leaflets he distributed included messages and pictures aimed at making PKK propaganda, state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
The case into the petition was opened after 1,128 academics from 89 different universities - including foreign scholars like Noam Chomsky, David Harvey and Immanuel Wallerstein - signed a declaration titled: "We won't be part of this crime," which called on Ankara to end the "massacre and slaughter" in southeastern Turkey.
Universities and prosecutor's offices across the country subsequently opened probes into many of the 1,128 Turkish and foreign academics and intellectuals who fall within the Turkish state's jurisdiction, arguing that the petition exceeded the limits of academic freedom. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION