|Saturday, 16 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 18-01-25
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW
CONTENTSNo. 18/18 25.01.18
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Akinci accuses the "police" for the attack against Afrika "Afrika": The "security forces" did not obey AkinciTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (25.01.18) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci has alleged that the "rule of law" exists in the "country" and they cannot tolerate the use of force. Speaking yesterday during a meeting with a delegation of the Trade Unions' Platform, Akinci claimed that "there are some provocateurs who want to divide us" and added that they will respect all views without lending credit to violence. He argued that what happened on 22 January "gave the alarm", that the society does not adopt violence and that the "judiciary" will carry out its duty.
Noting that the "authorities" which are responsible for the "country's" security have the duty to provide the security of life and property for all "citizens", Akinci said that the "police" have unfortunately not behaved as they should [during the attack against "Afrika" newspaper] and added: "If the authorities, which are responsible for providing our security cannot provide the security of our life and property, whom we should expect this from? Such things cannot happen. It is inconceivable for us to accept it".
Recalling that he was in the "parliament" for the "oath taking" of the newly "elected deputies" on the day when the attack against "Afrika" took place, Akinci said that as soon as he found out that some persons had climbed on the paper's balcony, he felt the need to go in front of "Afrika". He noted that he went to the place where the incidents were taking place immediately when he saw that an attack was conducted and the attackers would enter into the paper's offices.
Akinci said also that the previous day, he was feeling that the incidents could take bigger dimensions and therefore he was continuously in contact both with the commander of the so-called security forces ("GKK") and the general director of the "police" and that he was in contact with them during the incidents as well. He also said that the anti-riot forces went to the place where the incidents were happening after his demand.
Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (25.01.18) refers to Akinci's statements under the title "GKK threw Akinci's orders into the garbage" and reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader described yesterday the day during which the newspaper had been attacked. According to "Afrika", Akinci called at least eight times on that day to "GKK's" commander and Akinci's advisor Hudaoglu at least sixteen times asking for a chain to be created in front to the newspaper by the anti-riot forces. However, the commander paid no attention to these calls and implemented the instructions he had received from Ankara and not Akinci's instructions.
Noting that the "oath taking ceremony" in the "assembly" was delayed by 40 minutes because Akinci went out to go in front of Afrika's offices, the paper reports that Akinci said that "while developments which could result in bloodshed were taking place, I could not watch the oath taking ceremony inside".
 The efforts to establish a "government" are linked to the "presidential elections" Denktas is under pressure for a "coalition" with the UBPTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (25.01.18) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader, Mustafa Akinci has assigned Huseyin Ozgurgun, chairman of the National Unity Party (UBP) and outgoing self-styled prime minister, with the "duty" to establish a "government". Ozgurgun convened yesterday UBP's competent organs, which authorized him to hold contacts with all the parties on this issue. However, Ozgurgun stated yesterday that he knows the statements made by the leaders of the four parties which are currently exerting efforts to establish a four-party "coalition government" and that he is aware of the situation, but it would be a mistake for him to return the "mandate" without trying. "If the four parties say 'we agreed' before I try, I will return it", he said.
The leaders of the four parties which are holding contacts for a four-party "coalition" have already sent negative messages to Ozgurgun on this issue, notes the paper adding that the chairmen of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) and the Social Democracy Party (TDP) Tufan Erhurman and Cemal Ozyigit respectively have said that Ozgurgun is welcome to visit them for coffee, while Kudret Ozersay, chairman of the People's Party (HP) said that it is not necessary for him to meet with Ozgurgun. Serdar Denktas, chairman of the Democratic Party (DP), said that his door is open for Ozgurgun, but added that in case a three-party "coalition government" (with the participation of the UBP, DP and the settlers' Revival Party YDP) is established, this will happen by force.
Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (25.01.18) reports that Denktas said also the following: "I am the one, who is under pressure for the establishment of a three-party coalition at the moment. What is all this that is happening? I know that the coalitions established by force will cause problems. All this disorder is for a coalition by force. And I am saying to the esteemed prime minister that a coalition by force will not move forward".
Asked "what is all this that is happening", Denktas noted: "The messages which I receive, all this disorder is for the establishment of a coalition by force. And I am saying that the prime minister is right. A coalition by force will not move forward. This is my message to the UBP".
Finally, Turkish Cypriot Ortam newspaper (25.01.18) reports that the efforts to establish a new "government" are complicated because of the forthcoming "presidential elections", which are expected to be held in 2020. Noting that everybody knows that Denktas and Ozersay aim at the "big chair", "political analysts" link the extension of the negotiations for establishing a "four-party coalition government" with this issue. They argue that Ozersay wishes the establishment of a four-party "coalition" for only one year and then he wants to cooperate with the UBP in the "government", provided that Ozgurgun is removed from the presidency of the party. Ozersay's aim is to become the common candidate of UBP and HP in the "presidential elections" in 2020, notes the paper arguing that according to analysts, Denktas prolongs the negotiations for the establishment of a four-party "coalition government" seeking for an agreement with Ozgurgun both for the "government" and for the way which leads towards the "presidency".
 YKP accused AKP of being the main responsible for the attacks against Afrika newspaperTurkish Cypriot daily Vatan newspaper (25.01.18) reports that the general secretary of the United Cyprus Party (YKP) Murat Kanatli, in a written statement strongly condemned the Justice and Development Party (AKP) in Turkey for the recent attacks against Afrika newspaper, supporting that the AKP is the main responsible for what happened during that day.
Kanatli further said that the incidents occurred in Afrika proved once again that "Cyprus needs a new security system", since as he said nobody can entrust security in the "TRNC".
Recalling that the incidents kicked off right after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan statements against Afrika newspaper, Kanatli accused the AKP for exerting efforts to dominate politically the "northern part of Cyprus"
Kanatli further accused the so-called police forces in the "TRNC" of not taking the necessary measures to prevent the incidents and also of showing discrimination towards the "citizens".
Expressing his support to the Republican Turkish Party (CHP) "deputy" Dogus Derya, Kanatli stated that the YKP is against Turkey's operation in Afrin.
 Afrika claims that there are connections between the man he threw stones against the paper, the UBP and mafiaTurkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (25.01.18) reports that Mehmet Ipek, the chairman of the so-called brotherhood, solidarity and culture association of the settlers from Alexandretta (Hatay) area (Ak Hataylilar Dernegi) who threw stones against Afrika newspaper a few days ago and was later seen taking α picture with "deputies" οφ the National Unity Party (UBP) in "parliament", held the day after the attack against Afrika a meeting with convicted criminal Ismet Felek in Istanbul.
The latter was deported by the breakaway regime some time ago but "UBP government" tried to overruled this decision, but without success due to a great reaction by the public in the occupied Cyprus, writes Afrika.
The paper goes on and writes that Ipek was seen supporting UBP's "election propaganda" in similar cases and has connections with various UBP members. Afrika wonders what the connection between Ipe, UBP and Felek is.
In addition, Halkin Sesi (25.01.18) reports that Hamit Semiz, a person working at the "Komi Kepir municipality", shared in his Facebook page a video of the attack against Afrika newspaper and also wrote that "the instructions given by Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan were carried out".
 A religious school will open in occupied FamagustaTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (25.01.18) reports that the chairwoman of KTOEOS Trade Union Selma Eylem stated that following the opening of the Imam Hatip (religious Islamic school) in occupied Keryneia, a new Imam Hatip will be opened in occupied Famagusta.
She made these statements to Kibris evaluating the developments that took place at Hala Sultan Religious college, some days ago where students and teachers complained that religious pressure was exerted to them. Eylemvisited the college and talked to students and teachers on the issue.
 A group of Turkish Cypriot nationalists to attend the Turkish military operation in AfrinTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi (25.01.18) reports that a group of 50 people, members of the "association for keeping alive the views of Rauf R. Denktas", applied to the "Turkish Cypriot security forces" ("GKK") in order to attend the ongoing Turkish military operation in Afrin and to voluntarily participate in the war.
The "chairman of the association" Latif Akca, stated that he conveyed the applications to the "GKK" and alleged that "this is their debt against the martyrs who came to Cyprus during 1974 and lost their lives for saving the Turkish Cypriots".
 Turkey says US statement on Erdogan-Trump phone call 'not true'Turkish Hurriyet Daily News (24.01.18 http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-says-us-statement-on-erdogan-trump-phone-call-not-true-126267) reported that the White House's written statement differs from what was actually discussed in a phone conversation between the Turkish and U.S. Presidents late on Jan. 24, according to Turkish sources.
"The readout issued by the White House does not accurately reflect the content of President [Recep Tayyip] Erdogan's phone call with President [Donald] Trump," said the sources.
"President Trump did not share any 'concerns [about] escalating violence' with regard to the ongoing military operation in Afrin. The two leaders' discussion of 'Operation Olive Branch' was limited to an exchange of views," they added.
During the conversation, Trump discussed restricting the operation in Afrin to a certain time limit and avoiding any close combat in Manbij, due to the presence of U.S. soldiers in the region, the sources added.
Erdogan reiterated that the People's Protection Units (YPG) must withdraw to the East of the Euphrates River and pledged the protection of Manbij by the Turkish-backed Free Syrian Army (FSA) against future threats by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) following the withdrawal.
The Turkish sources also stressed that Trump did not use the words "destructive and false rhetoric coming from Turkey."
"In response to President Erdogan's call on the United States to end the delivery of weapons to the [Democratic Union Party] PYD-YPG, President Trump said that his country no longer supplied the group with weapons and pledged not to resume the weapons delivery in the future," the sources added.
They also said that there was no discussion of the ongoing state of emergency in Turkey, but Trump mentioned the U.S. citizens and local personnel currently under arrest.
"President Erdogan responded to Mr. Trump's request by noting that there was the rule of law in Turkey and highlighted that the independent judiciary would reach its verdict following the completion of relevant indictments," the sources said.
According to a White House statement earlier, Trump "urged Turkey to de-escalate, limit its military actions, and avoid civilian casualties and increases to displaced persons and refugees."
"He urged Turkey to exercise caution and to avoid any actions that might risk conflict between Turkish and American forces," it said, adding that he "expressed concern about the destructive and false anti-American rhetoric emanating from Turkey."
 Turkish EU Minister to talk ties with senior European officialsTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (24.01.18) reported that Turkish EU Minister Omer Celik is to head to Brussels on Jan. 25 for talks with top European officials, according to a written statement from the ministry on Jan. 24.
Celik will meet European Commission First Vice-President Frans Timmermans and the EU's foreign policy Chief Federica Mogherini to speak about Turkey-EU relations.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION
Press and Information Officer -Turkish Press Section
P.I.O. | Ministry of Interior | Republic of Cyprus
*: 1456, Nicosia, Cyprus | (: +357 22801162 | 7: +357 22 666123