|Friday, 14 May 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 19-07-24
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 24.07.19 Content
[A] Turkish Cypriot Press
[B] Turkish Press
[A] Turkish Cypriot Press
 Ozersay and Tatar inspected the fenced off city of Varosha areaAccording to illegal Bayrak television (23.07.19-https://www.brtk.net/basbakan-ve-basbakan-yardimcisi-marasta-incelemeler-yapti/), so-called prime minister Ersin Tatar and so-called deputy prime minister and "foreign minister" Kudret Ozersay held a visit yesterday in the occupied fenced off city of Varosha where they inspected the area.
According to the paper, Ozersay and Tatar where accompanied by the ""brigadier general of the security forces", Tevfik Algan and "deputy commander of the Cyprus Turkish security forces" Cemal Volkan..
It is reiterated that the so-called government had "decided" for an inventory study to be prepared on the issue of the opening of the fenced off city of Varosha. As it was made known, Ozersay and Tatar's visit is related with this work. It was also made known that the "commission" which was established with the aim to prepare the inventory study will go to Varosha within the next days in order to continue its works.
 Erdogan: "Steps taken by Turkey in the Eastern Mediterranean shows Ankara's determination to protect the rights of the Turkish Cypriots"Illegal Bayrak (24.07.19 https://www.brtk.net/erdogandan-lozan-mesaji/) reports that the Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan stated that there is not a threat that can make Turkey to abandon its right cause in Eastern Mediterranean; Erdogan said in a statement he issued to mark the 96th anniversary of the Lausanne Treaty.
Erdogan said that the national struggle that Turkey gave against the most powerful army in the world ended with the Lausanne Treaty which is a document for Turkey's independence.
"Steps taken by Turkey in the Eastern Mediterranean shows Ankara's determination to protect the rights of the Turkish Cypriots", he further stated.
 Akinci to meet with Lacroix tomorrow; he spoke with Lute over the phoneAccording to illegal Bayrak television (24.07.19-https://www.brtk.net/cumhurbaskani-akinci-yarin-lacroix-ile-gorusecek/), Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci is to meet tomorrow with the United Nations Under Secretary-General for Peace Operations, Mr Jean-Pierre Lacroix who is arriving to the island today.
According to Bayrak, the meeting will take place at the so-called presidential palace at 11.30 am.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris (24.07.19) reports that Akinci held yesterday a phone conversation with the UN Secretary-General's temporary special consultant to Cyprus Jane Holl Lute.
According to information acquired, Lute briefed Akinci on the contacts she had with Guterres and the other sides. Lute also wished good luck for the meeting to be held between the two leaders on August 9. Lute is not expected to come to the island in the current period.
 Ozugergin slams EU's stance over its sanctions on TurkeyAccording to illegal Bayrak television (24.07.19-https://www.brtk.net/turkiyenin-atina-buyukelcisi-ozugergin-kibrista-ab-kendini-diskalifiye-etti/), the Turkish Ambassador to Greece Burak Ozugergin said that the European Union had lost its chance to play an important role in solving the Cyprus problem with its decision to impose sanctions on Turkey for its drilling activities in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Speaking to Anadolu news agency, Ozugergin alleged that the EU admitted behind closed doors that allowing the "Greek Cypriot administration", as the Republic of Cyprus is referred to, to join the bloc before a solution, had been a mistake.
He also claimed that the EU was not a court and did not have authority on issues concerning maritime borders or such agreements.
Ozugergin alleged that the EU had not adopted a legal stance but a political one by expressing solidarity with the "Greek Cypriot administration".
"The EU has lost its credibility in the eyes of the Turkish public. It disqualified itself by losing its chance to play an important role in the settlement of the Cyprus problem. How can the EU be trusted within the context of the Cyprus problem after acting like this?," Ozugergin wondered.
The Turkish Ambassador also said that the EU's decisions will not deter Turkey's determination to continue its drilling activities in the Eastern Mediterranean. "This is not the way to approach Turkey. You cannot issue threats at Turkey. We are not a country that just popped up in the region. We have had a say in the region for centuries. These actions point to the EU's lack of oversight on strategic matters," he added.
Ozugergin urged the "Greek Cypriot administration", as the Republic of Cyprus is referred to and other international actors to reassess the proposal made by Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Ak?nc? for setting up a joint committee to co-manage the island's natural gas reserves. He claimed that Ak?nc?'s proposal was timely and appropriate. "The interest shown by third parties to the proposal which envisages a model of cooperation has shown how positive and timely his move was," he said.
Also touching upon the possibility of the restart of a new negotiations process, Ozugergin recalled that the UN Secretary General's special envoy Jane Holl Lute's efforts were still continuing. "We have yet to see a positive sign. It would not be right to return to the negotiating table and waste another 50 years before the Greek Cypriot side determines what it really wants. We are not excluding any solution model but we are also not insisting on any solution model," he concluded.
 Denktas: "The solution of the problems of our area passes through dialogue and co-operation"Illegal Bayrak (https://www.brtk.net/denktas-bolgemizdeki-sorunun-cozumu-diyalog-ve-isbirliginden-geciyor/ ) broadcast that the leader of the Democratic Party Serdar Denktas referring to the hydrocarbon issue stated that some members of the international community are co-operate with the Greek Cypriot side in order to serve their own interests, not taking into account the rights of Turkey and the Turkish Cypriots. "The solution of the problems of our area passes through dialogue and co-operation"
He also stated that there will be positive reactions if the Turkish Cypriot side informs the international community as regards its proposal for the establishment of a common committee and added that the Turkish Cypriots have also rights in the island's welfare. "The Greek Cypriots cannot declare which the rights of the Turkish Cypriots are", he argued.
 Ozersay made statements regarding the decisions taken by the "council of ministers""Voice of the Island" news portal (24.07.19) publishes a statement made by the so-called foreign minister Kudret Ozersay, as regards the decisions taken by the "council of ministers" that took place yesterday.
Ozersay, who made the statement in a social media account, summarized the decisions taken by the "council", as regards "foreigners who enter the breakaway regime" and the "granting of citizenships", as follows:
"The Residence Permit and Visa Regulation, which allows foreigners to enter the country, to reside in our country and leave our country, has been accepted. This regulation, which, on one hand, will contribute to us overcoming our problems regarding the subject of non-registration and on the other, will organize the visa types, durations, provisions and cancellation conditions as well as residence permit types, durations, provisions and cancellation conditions. This regulation, which will begin operation in three months, will now hold foreigners over the age of 60 to a residence permit, where as before, foreigners over the age of 60, could reside in our country with not permit requirements. These individuals will be granted a one-year long opportunity to register.
Due to the changes, which took place at the fuel prices, it was necessary today, to make a raise of 14 cents to gasoline. However, because of the assessments we have made as a government, we will not reflect this upon the citizen; therefore, we have taken the decision to NOT make a raise.
Four people have been given citizenship with the decision of the Council of Ministers with the method existing on our constitution separate from the methods of receiving citizenship with a ministry's decision or through marriage. It will be published in a transparent way along with the reasoning of being given citizenship. Individuals, who have lived in our country for many years and have not received citizenship, even if they are not born in the TRNC, but have finished primary, middle and high school in our country, have received citizenship in the scope of this.
 Reactions for the interim "economic protocol agreement" between Turkey and the breakaway regimeTurkish Cypriot daily K?br?s (24.07.19) reports in its first page about the "interim economic protocol", signed between Turkey and the breakaway regime last Saturday which covers a period of five months between August-December 2019. The protocol envisages the releasesfor 750 Million Turkish Lira and reforms in various fields, including "public sector".
In a press conference organized about the protocol, self-styled prime minister Ersin Tatar, stated that 2020 will be the year that important steps will take place as regards the economy of the breakaway regime.
In its first reaction on the protocol the Republican Turkish Party's (CTP) General Secretary Tufar Erhurman, stated that the party does not agree with various aspects of the protocol. Similar was the reaction from the Leftish Movement while the Revival Party (TR. Note: the party of the settlers) expressed its satisfaction for the signing of the agreement.
K?br?s Postas? refers on the protocol under the title: "The government is starting a fight with the trade unions" and writes that it is certain that there will be a conflict between the two parties since many aspects of the protocol will not leave satisfied the trade unions.
On its part, Afrika publishes the related news under the title: "We are sold" and notes: "After the signing of the protocol everything left in our hands is for sale". According to the paper, Tatar announced that reforms will take place in education, tourism, higher education, "the public sector", industry and trade.
Finally, reporting on the issue, Detay notes that the "ministers" of the People's Party, the other party consisting the "coalition government" were noticeably absent during the press conference that details regarding the protocol were announced.
 Four million passengers have gone through illegal Tympou airport in 2018Illegal Bayrak (24.07.19 https://www.brtk.net/?englishposts=atakan-speaks-to-aa) broadcast that the so-called minister of public works and communications Tolga Atakan said that four million passengers have gone through illegal Tympou airport in 2018.
Speaking to Anadolu news agency, Atakan said that illegal Tympoy airport new terminal building should become operational as soon as possible.
He added that "the airport was currently not able to meet the needs of the TRNC economy which was based on tourism and universities".
Atakan said that a six to seven month delay is expected for the completion of the new terminal building as well as wider runways for larger planes.
"Turkish Cypriots living abroad have plans to create a new airline. If they succeed in doing this Tympou could become a hotspot," he said.
 Panayia Church in occupied Lyssi lacks of careTurkish Cypirot daily Yeni Duzen (24.07.19) under the title: "Church is waiting for permission for maintenance and religious ceremony", reports on the 131 years old Panayia Church in occupied Lyssi village and writes that the church lacks of care, and needs maintenance the soonest possible.
Besides that, the paper adds, Greek Cypriotrefugees from Lyssi applied to the so-called foreign ministry asking for permission so that a religious ceremony to take place in the church next September. Former residents of Lyssi are expecting for a positive response by the "ministry", writes the paper, in order to clean the church. It was made known also that they had already prepared a budget which will cover the cleaning expenses of the church.
Speaking to the paper, the "mayor" of occupied Lyssi village said that the Greek Cypriot former inhabitants in the village are strongly reacting over the bad situation of the church and demand for its restoration the soonest possible.
[B] Turkish Press
 Turkey's Defense Ministry: "Turkey advances its navy buildup in the Eastern Mediterranean"Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily news (23.07.19-http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkey-advances-its-navy-buildup-in-east-med-145192) reported that Turkey has been advancing its navy buildup in the eastern Mediterranean as Turkish drilling vessels have been operating in the company of Naval Forces Command elements.
"The Naval Forces Command is providing full protection to the drilling vessels, both on the surface and underwater, with the help of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs)", the National Defense Ministry said in a tweet on July 23.
"Our Naval Forces Command is continuously and incessantly accompanying our drilling vessels in the eastern Mediterranean," the Ministry tweeted, with video footage of the vessels, shot by a UAV.
"The vessels are being protected by air with the Bayraktar TB-2 UAV, a maritime patrol aircraft and naval helicopters. Some corvettes, frigates and assault boats are providing protection on the surface", the Ministry conveyed.
Furthermore, submarines are also escorting the drilling vessels by guarding them underwater, the Ministry's tweet added.
The video's release comes against a backdrop of Turkey asserting its own rights and the rights of the Turkish Cypriots to search for natural resources in the eastern Mediterranean in the face of European intransigence and challenges, including threats to arrest the crews of Turkish drillships.
 Erdogan congratulates UK's Boris JohnsonAnkara Anatolia news agency (23.07.19- https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/turkish-president-congratulates-uks-boris-johnson/1539481) reported that Turkey's President on Tuesday congratulated Boris Johnson on becoming the U.K.'s next Prime Minister and head of the ruling Conservative Party.
On Twitter, Recep Tayyip Erdogan congratulated Johnson and wished him success as Prime Minister.
"I congratulate @BorisJohnson, who became the U.K.'s 77th Prime Minister and wish him success in his new position," he wrote.
"I believe Turkish-United Kingdom relations will develop further in this new era."
 Oktay: "Turkey will resolutely protect its borders and people"Ankara Anatolia news agency (23.07.19-https://www.aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/turkey-will-resolutely-protect-its-borders-people/1539182) reported that Turkey's Vice President Fuat Oktay has said that Turkey will resolutely continue protecting its borders and people, in the wake of a rocket attack in Turkey's southeast which injured six people.
"Our armed forces immediately responded to the attack and from now on will respond with more severity," Oktay said at a Turkey-Uzbekistan Business Forum in Ankara.
"Turkey will resolutely continue protecting its borders and people," he added.
Six people, including one child, were injured on Monday when one of two rockets fired from Syria hit a residential area in Ceylanpinar in the southeastern Sanliurfa province.
On Twitter, Turkey's National Defense Ministry said that in response to the attack seven targets were destroyed on the Syrian side.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but Turkey has decried the cross-border threat from the terrorist groups Daesh and the PKK/YPG.
 Ankara and Rome agree to enhance bilateral economic and commercial cooperationTurkish daily Sabah (24.07.2019-https://www.dailysabah.com/economy/2019/07/24/ankara-rome-agree-to-enhance-bilateral-economic-commercial-cooperation) reports that Turkey and Italy have agreed to boost their bilateral economic cooperation during a meeting between the officials of the two countries on late Monday.
Treasury and Finance Minister Berat Albayrak met with Italian Economy and Finance Minister Giovanni Tria at the Dolmabahce office in Istanbul. "We agreed to initiate mutual efforts to increase the economic and commercial cooperation between our countries to the desired level," Albayrak said over his social media account following the meeting.
The two Ministers first held one-on-one meetings and then with the delegations. The meetings focused extensively on economic cooperation between the two countries in all areas, with the financial sector taking the lead. The two Ministers discussed the steps to be taken to increase trade volume and to set potential areas for private sector cooperation. They also agreed to launch programs to quickly increase the volume of trade to the desired level and determined the teams to work in this area. The Italian Minister invited his Turkish counterpart to Italy, while Albayrak said that he would visit Rome this year.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION