|Tuesday, 26 January 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 19-08-27
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 27.08.19 Content
[A] Turkish Cypriot Press
[B] Turkish Press
[A] Turkish Cypriot Press
 Burcu denies newspaper articles that the date and place of the trilateral meeting has been finalizedUnder the title "Burcu: The date and the place of the trilateral meeting is not certain", Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Bakis (27.08.19) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci's spokesman Baris Burcu said that as Akinci has said in the past there is a possibility of a trilateral meeting between the two leaders and the UN Secretary General, however neither the place nor the date of the meeting have been finalized.
Commenting on articles published in the Greek Cypriot media regarding the finalization of the date and the place of the trilateral meeting in New York, Burcu noted that Akinci and Anastasiades will have separate meetings with the UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres in September in New York, however, he added that the date and the time of these meetings have not been finalized yet.
Noting that the only date that has been finalized is the visit of the UN special envoy Jane Holl Lute in Cyprus, which will be between August 31 and September 2, Burcu further said: "As it is known, our president [Turkish Cypriot leader Akinci] within the framework of the authority granted by the Turkish Cypriot people, continues his efforts for a solution in which we will live in political equality and security in Cyprus. Taking into consideration the developments in the Eastern Mediterranean, the importance of the continuation of an informal dialogue between the sides would be self-evident. Whether this dialogue will turn into a formal negotiation process, it will, of course, depend on the Greek Cypriot leadership's stance. In case, this happens, a result-oriented and not open-ended process may come up in the agenda. We are not at that point yet, however, it is important for the Turkish Cypriot side to continue i ts stable and determined stance within the framework of the UN parameters."
Criticizing the latest statements of the "prime minister" Ersin Tatar and "deputy prime minister" Kudret Ozersay, Burcu said: "When this is the case, we observe with sorrow that prime minister [Tatar] and deputy prime minister [Ozersay] continue to send messages to our president [Akinci] through the media during their contacts they had recently in Turkey. In fact, what they had to do was to come and brief our president on what they had discussed during their recent contacts in Turkey and especially whatever concerned the Cyprus issue".
 "With the Varosha opening we went beyond the ordinary", alleges OzersayTurkish Cypriot newspaper K?br?s(27.08.19) reports that Kudret Ozersay, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has alleged that with the move regarding the opening of the occupied fenced-off city of Varosha, the breakaway regime "went beyond the ordinary". In statements to illegal Bayrak television, Ozersay claimed:
"The logic that a comprehensive solution will be reached and thus Varosha will open existed in Cyprus. Varosha became a ghost city because it had been related to the comprehensive solution. When you relate something to the comprehensive solution, it decays. A reality exists. This memorized lesson was ruined with the step taken during this period. […] With a unilateral step, but a step which brings the TRNC closer to international law. We did two things which spoiled the balance of the Greek Cypriot side. The one is Varosha and the other is the fact that we have come to the stage of drillings for natural gas. […] The Greek Cypriots who have property in Varosha are our partners. No one should try to say to us that there is a Security Council Resolution and tie our hands. Very soon, we will secure the organization of a tour of the Press in Varosha".
Meanwhile, referring to the same statements, illegal Bayrak (27.08.19, https://www.brtk.net/ozersay-kapali-marasla-ilgili-bir-ezberi-bozmus-durumdayiz/) broadcasts that Ozersay reiterated that there was no change in the stance of the sides in the Cyprus problem. Wondering why "instead of seeing that nothing changed, we try the same ways again", Ozersay argued that this was a warning and a criticism at the same time.
Asked to comment on the drilling activities in the Eastern Mediterranean and the tension created by these drillings, Ozersay claimed that an agreement could be reached on this issue before the comprehensive solution in Cyprus. "This is actually what will abolish the tension", he argued and alleged that "within one and a half year the UN has adopted our logic and came to the point of saying to the Greek Cypriot side that you should cooperate without producing excuses".
 Hasipoglu: Time to open occupied fenced-off VaroshaTurkish Cypriot newspaper Star K?br?s(27.08.19) reports that Oguzhan Hasipoglu, self-styled deputy with the National Unity Party (UBP) in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has alleged that the time has come to open the occupied fenced-off city of Varosha for the benefit of the entire island and not to keep the city closed.
In a statement issued yesterday by the UBP, it is noted that Hasipoglu claimed that the Greek Cypriots continued to elect mayors in areas which they did not administrate and alleged: "The Greek Cypriot side elected a so-called Varosha Mayor. Simos Ioannou won the by-election held on 25 August 2019, because of the decease of Alexis Galanos. When we see the turnout, we understand that the Greek Cypriots do not show interest anymore in these imaginary elections. […]"
Arguing that fenced-off Varosha was one of the important steps of the Turkish Cypriot side, Hasipoglu alleged: "Instead of electing a mayor for Varosha, let the Greek Cypriots come and apply to the Immovable Property Commission and the TRNC authorities. If they have legal rights, we will evaluate their applications without treating them differently than the other foreign investors. The imaginary mayor elected on 25 August, however, cannot do this. They should face realities and realize that their administrations deceive them for years. We do not have the luxury of evaluating fenced-off Varosha as a part of the comprehensive solution anymore. […] the time has come for fenced-off Varosha to open for the benefit of the entire island and not to keep it closed".
 Tacoy: Turkey and the Turkish Cypriots will give answer to "fait accompli" in Eastern MediterraneanTurkish Cypriot daily Halkin Sesi (27.08.19) reports that self-styled minister of economy and energy Hasan Tacoy stated that currently an effort is exerted to protect rights of the Turkish Cypriot "people" and added that there should not be any doubt that the "sergeant guards", as he called the Turkish Cypriots who are in Cyprus, and guarantor Turkey will give an answer to the "fait accompli" in Eastern Mediterranean.
Tacoy made these statements speaking at the World Energy Strategy Congress and Fair, where he said that in the light of the political and economic developments, the energy sector has shown dynamic and rapid developments, as a result of various "democratic agreements" they sighed (with Turkey) in 2011. He also said that in "south Cyprus"[Translator's note: as the Republic of Cyprus is referred to] and Malta developments are taking place that draw attention to the energy sector and added that they follow these developments closely.
 Another Turkish Minister to visit fenced off VaroshaTurkish Cypriot daily Halk?n Sesi (27.08.19) reports that the Turkish Minister of Justice Abdulhamit Gul will visit the breakaway regime this evening for "contacts".
According to the paper, Gul is also expected to visit the fenced- off city of Varosha.
[B] Turkish Press
 Erdogan: "Turkish troops to enter east of Euphrates very soon"Ankara Anatolia news agency (26.08.19-https://www.aa.com.tr/en/turkey/turkish-troops-to-enter-east-of-euphrates-very-soon/1565258) reported that the Turkish land troops are expected to enter east of the Euphrates River very soon, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Monday.
"I hope no one will try to test Turkey's determination to clear its Syrian borders of terrorists," Erdogan said, speaking at an event in the eastern city of Mus to mark the 948th anniversary of the Battle of Malazgirt.
Erdogan said further that Turkey prioritizes diplomacy, dialogue, reconciliation and cooperation on problem solving for "more beneficial" results for all sides.
Erdogan also warned of any stalling east of the Euphrates River, adding that Turkey is "fully prepared to realize its plans".
He said that Turkey's armed unmanned aerial vehicles (AUAV) along with unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and helicopters entered the region east of the river.
"Once crossing our borders with the air and land elements of us, we will have the opportunity to see the situation more closely and determine the future of the process," Erdogan said.
On the establishment of a safe zone in Syria, Erdogan said: "The complicated plan in the region and the treacherous traps in abundance will never hinder our path."
Erdogan also reiterated determination to continue Turkey's activities in the Eastern Mediterranean.
"Our drilling and seismic survey activities in the Eastern Mediterranean are underway at full speed, and no one will be able to restrain us there," Erdogan said.
 S-400 deployment to resume as Erdogan set to visit Putin in MoscowTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (26.08.19-http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/s-400-deployment-set-to-resume-defense-minister-akar-146069) reported that Turkey has announced the beginning of the deployment of the second battery of the S-400 air defense systems from Russia on the same day that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is set to hold talks with President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Aug. 27 over the recent developments in the Idlib province of Syria.
"Activities with regard to the shipment of the second battery (of the S-400s) will start tomorrow," Defense Minister Hulusi Akar told journalists in the eastern province of Erzincan on Aug 26.
The first batch of the S-400s was delivered in July at Murted Air Base near Ankara in accordance with the Ankara-Moscow deal on the sale of the anti-ballistic missile systems in April 2017. The shipment of the second batch of the air defense systems is scheduled to be accomplished in several weeks, and the S-400s will be ready to use by April 2020.
"Our objective is to provide protection to our country and our nation against missile threats from outside of our country," Akar said.
The second phase of the S-400 shipment begins on the same day President Erdogan and President Putin are set to hold talks in the Russian capital on Aug 27.
The two leaders had agreed to meet during a phone conversation last week as Erdogan expressed his concerns over the intensified military operations by Russia-backed Syrian regime forces in the de-militarized province of Idlib.
Turkey and Russia agreed to create a de-escalation zone in the province in September 2018 with the former establishing 12 observation posts inside the enclave and the latter, outside Idlib.
The main objective of the Turkish-Russian deal was to avoid a major military operation by the Syrian army into the highly populated Idlib province and thus a major humanitarian tragedy and a fresh influx of refugees.
(…)It is expected that the two presidents will discuss the developments in Idlib in a comprehensive way in order to avoid the collapse of the September 2018 deal on the province. Russia would renew its calls on Turkey to push all the jihadist terror groups away from Idlib as Putin complained that the terrorists have increased their influence in the province from 50 percent to 90 percent in the last period.
Erdogan is also expected to inform Putin about the Turkish-American efforts to set up a safe zone in the eastern part of the Turkish-Syrian border. "We are in close consultations with Russia on this issue," Erdogan said in a public address in Malazgirt, a province in eastern Anatolia. "I am going to Moscow tomorrow with a delegation.
"I am confident that we will be able to overcome this difficulty (stemming from) Idlib," Erdogan added.
 Cavusoglu due in Estonia for bilateral talksAnkara Anatolia news agency (27.08.19-https://www.aa.com.tr/en/turkey/turkey-s-cavusoglu-due-in-estonia-for-bilateral-talks/1565859) reported that Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu is set to pay an official visit to Estonia on Wednesday, according to the Foreign Ministry on Tuesday.
In a written statement, the Ministry said that Cavusoglu will meet with Estonia's Prime Minister Juri Ratas and his counterpart Urmas Reinsalu as part of his visit.
"During the meetings, all aspects of Turkish-Estonian relations and further cooperation opportunities between the two countries will be discussed," the statement said.
"Views will also be exchanged on cooperation within NATO and Turkey's membership process to the EU as well as regional and international issues," it added.
Turkey says Estonia, during the European Union Presidency, "presented a constructive approach and tried to continue the dialogue between Turkey and the EU."
"The strong support extended by Turkey to Estonia's NATO membership, and Estonia's support to Turkey's EU membership process reflects positively on bilateral relations," according to the Foreign Ministry.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION