|Saturday, 14 December 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 04-07-28
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.142/04 28.07.04
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 The Turkish Cypriot press reports that the Netherlands are Planning to take initiative for the settlement of the Cyprus problemTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS, and other local newspapers, (28.07.04) report that the EU term president, the Netherlands, are planning to start an international initiative based on the Annan plan for the solution of the Cyprus problem. The process will start in September. The USA and the UN will take part in the initiative.
KIBRIS, quoting Greek Cypriot sources, reports that the Dutch Foreign Ministry is trying to find out what the chances of success would be if such an initiative is started. The Dutch Foreign Ministry thinks that once Turkey's stance as regards getting a date for negotiation in December is clarified, then Turkey as well could contribute to the new process. The same sources claim that if President Tassos Papadopoulos and House President Demetris Christofias take part in the process the success rate will be increased.
HALKIN SESI newspaper (28.07.04) publishes the news item in its front page under the title: "The EU is exerting efforts to bring the Plan on the agenda". The paper quotes reports from NTV television to the effect that President Papadopoulos has proposed hundreds of pages of changes to be brought to the Annan plan in a new negotiation, which are not considered to be realistic, and concludes:
"Some changes may be brought about to secure the implementation of the plan, but it is clarified that it is not possible to revise the text extensively."
 Talat declared that they will take legal action against the Republic of CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily YENI DUZEN newspaper (28.07.04) reports that the so-called prime minister of the occupation regime Mr Mehmet Ali Talat has said that besides the political struggle, they will start legal action against the Republic of Cyprus.
Alleging that the Turkish Cypriots want to take their place in the Cyprus State but the Greek Cypriots refuse it, Mr Talat said that "a long term struggle will be waged". Mr Talat went on and alleged that the Greek Cypriot side did not conform to the legal structure, constitution or agreements of the Republic of Cyprus, and it does represent the whole of Cyprus and that the Greek Cypriots do not represent the Turkish Cypriots but only themselves. He also asserted that although the Turkish Cypriots had been declared as being intransigent, "the world had seen the realities with the referenda results"
Declaring that the Greek Cypriots ignored the existence of the Turkish Cypriot "people", Mr Talat added however that with the latest stance put forward by the Turkish Cypriots, "the world would not accept this degrading situation for long".
"No one has the right to speak on behalf of the Turkish Cypriot people" he said, adding that they would make decisions regarding their future themselves.
In addition Mr Talat accused the President of the Cyprus Republic, Mr Tassos Papadopoulos of not wanting a solution to the Cyprus problem and asserted that it was a historical fact that President Papadopoulos tried to avoid the negotiations in Switzerland.
 SABAH writes that Turkish ports are opening for Greek Cypriot shipsAccording to Turkish mainland SABAH newspaper (28.07.04), which invokes sources of the Ministries of Commerce and Transports of the Cyprus Republic, the Turkish ports are opening for the Greek Cypriot ships.
As the paper writes, the Turkish ports started to give to ships under the Cyprus flag, permission to enter the Turkish harbours, a development that takes place for the first time since the Turkish invasion of 1974. According to the sources of the Ministry of Commerce and Transportation of the Cyprus Republic, some time ago, one or two ships sailing under the colours of the Cyprus Flag, were given permission to enter Turkish harbours. No information is given as regards the names and the location of the ports. The Ministry sources also stated that an official statement will be issued by the competent Turkish office as regards the issue. In addition, the same sources told SABAH that by the end of the current year airplane flights will start to be conducted between Turkey and the Cyprus Republic, a development which again will be for the first time after 1974.
 David Beckham to visit the occupied areas of CyprusLocal YENIDUZEN newspaper (28.07.04) under banner headlines "David Beckham is coming to Northern Cyprus", reports in its sports pages that "the most expensive player of the world will cross over to Northern Cyprus from Southern Cyprus next Friday 30 July".
According to YENIDUZEN, Mr Beckham and his wife Victoria will arrive at Larnaca airport on Friday and at 17.00 hours the same day he will cross to the occupied areas and settle at "The Colony Hotel" where he will spend the night.
The paper also reports that the Turkish Firm TPS is sponsoring the visit in order to promote the "world known Fashion Club Kyrenia branch", and that through the satellite Fashion TV, North Cyprus and Kyrenia will be on the world agenda.