|Saturday, 14 December 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 17-11-20
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW
CONTENTSNo. 224/17 18-20.11.17
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Aktag alleges that they will not let anyone absorb the Turkish Cypriots and Turkey's rights in the MediterraneanTurkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (20.11.17) reports that Turkish Deputy Prime Minister responsible for Cypriot Affairs, Recep Akdag has alleged that Turkey as guarantor power will let no one touch even a single hair of the Turkish Cypriots' head. Speaking on a television program, Akdag added that the Greek Cypriots and Greece as well as the EU should know this.
Referring to the Republic of Cyprus' accession to the EU, Akdag alleged the following:
"They have hastily put them into the EU unjustly, untimely. They have done this consciously. They have committed an injustice in order for using it as trump card against Turkey. Now the Greek Cypriot administration, the Greek Cypriot side, especially the administration there, is very spoiled. They do not accept that there are two communities on the island, that their rights will be equal in case a solution is found and that if there is a solution this should be within the framework of this equality. […] Correct formulas are put on the table. […] In French [Cran] Montana they overturned the table again and left. Very well, what happened? This was the last process which had been going on since 2008. And we said that's ok then this process has ended. That is, we decided this as Republic of Turkey. This process ended. What will happen then? A new process might begin. However, we look at our one way. Today, the TRNC has obtained per capita gross domestic product of 13-14,000 dollars. The duty assigned to me by the government of the Republic of Turkey is to manage the program of economic cooperation and development in northern Cyprus and providing support to Cyprus from every aspect. […]"
Referring to Turkey's "contribution" in the development of the occupied area of Cyprus, Akdag reiterated that they carried water from Turkey through undersea pipelines and added that they will also carry electricity from Turkey and build a new hospital. Noting that within the framework of his duties, he has visited the entire occupied area of the island and met with media representatives, "NGO's", "universities" and businessmen, Akdag said that for the period 2017-19 they have signed a "cooperation agreement" of 3,5 billion TL with the occupied area of Cyprus.
He further alleged the following: "They feel for us that 'Turkey is indispensable for us'. We feel for them that 'northern Cyprus is indispensable for us'. We will let no one absorb the rights of the Turkish Cypriots and Turkey. Meanwhile, for the hydrocarbons, we will let no one absorb the rights of the northern Cypriots and Turkey on this matter. This should be known by all states in the world. It is not possible for gas to be extracted, for oil to be extracted from there by making agreements only with the Greek Cypriot side".
 Akinci: We shall not get into a fruitless negotiationTurkish Cypriot daily Ozgur Volkan newspaper (20.11.17) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci claimed that the Cyprus negotiation cannot continue with its current form for the next 50 years. "We shall not get into a fruitless negotiation. We are determined as regards this", he argued.
He made these statements speaking during a visit by a delegation of the Turkish Chamber of Industry from Kocaeli, Turkey.
He said that after the Presidential elections it will be evaluated if a strategic agreement framework can be found and if the UN Secretary General can make this happen, after meetings with the two sides. However, Akinci claimed, this has already been rejected by the Greek Cypriot side, which as it said "is like seeking for an interim solution, while we are looking for a comprehensive solution". "[But] this is not different to what Guterres tried to do in Crans Montana", Akinci alleged.
He also claimed that the Cyprus problem is not a "security and guarantees issue" like the Greek Cypriots support and alleged that the basis of the problem is that the Greek Cypriots do not consider the Turkish Cypriots as equals with them and that they try to find ways to just add the Turkish Cypriots to the Republic of Cyprus, which they own and which they try to unite with Greece. "It is the guarantees that prevent this from taking place", he claimed, adding that if the Cyprus problem cannot be solved now, then the future generations will seek other models of solution. He also claimed that the Greek Cypriot youth became estranged with the solution and only a small number does cross to the "north" while the Turkish Cypriot youth visit the free areas of the Republic more often.
 Akinci due to London tomorrowTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (20.11.17-http://www.kibrispostasi.com/cumhurbaskani-akinci-yarin-londraya-gidiyor-20112017) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci will go to London tomorrow in order to meet with Turkish Cypriot NGO's in London.
According to a statement issued by the "presidency", Akinci will be delivering a speech on Wednesday at a meeting which is organized by the "TRNC's Friendship Group" at the UK House of Commons.
On Thursday, Akinci will carry out a meeting with "representatives" of several Turkish Cypriot NGO's operating in the UK and also he will be attending a conference where the Cyprus negotiation process and latest developments will be discussed.
 The number of voters increased by 12,000 since 2015; The population decreases while the voters increaseUnder the title "12 thousand 476 new voters in one and a half year", Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (18.11.17) reported that in a period of one and a half year the number of the "voters" in the occupied area of Cyprus increased by 12,476 persons. In a written statement issued by the "supreme election council", the population and the number of "deputies" to be elected in each area were announced. According to the announcement, the population of the occupied area of Cyprus is 230,747 persons. The distribution of population and "deputies" in each area is as following:
District Population Number of "deputies"
Nicosia 73,869 16
Famagusta 59,536 13
Keryneia 46,889 10
Trikomo 24,596 5
Morfou 17,416 4
Lefka 8,441 2
Total 230,747 50
Meanwhile, Narin Ferdi Sefik, the chairperson of the "council", stated that the number of the voters is 188,668 persons. She noted that according to numbers which are not final, the "voters" increased by approximately 14 thousands comparing to the pervious "elections". Almost half of them are persons who completed their 18th year of age.
Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (18.11.17) commented on the issue under the title "Are we decreasing by increasing?" The paper reported that the number of 230,747 was considered "funny' by the public, as according to statements made in 2012 the population in the occupied area of the island was 286,257 and according to the current numbers is it was 299,514 in 2016. The "people" wonder how they decreased to 230 thousands and whether they will never be able to find out their real population, notes the paper.
Moreover, Turkish Cypriot daily Vatan newspaper (20.11.17) reports that the "council" issued another statement regarding the population since 1998, explaining the method used to determine the numbers, which include "the persons who are TRNC citizens and live in the TRNC". The statement announced the following numbers regarding the population in the occupied area of Cyprus:
8 February 1998 "population census": 162,482
28 June 1998: Population in "Local elections": 163,610
6 December 1998: Population in "general elections": 163,860
15 April 2000 "presidential elections": 170,304
30 June 2002 "local elections": 177,416
14 December 2003 "general elections": 183,604
24 April 2004 referendum: 184,350
20 February 2005 "general elections": 188,128
17 April 2005 "presidential elections": 188,372
25 June 2006 "local elections": 191,389
19 April 2009 "general elections": 200,466
18 April 2010 "presidential elections": 203,260
27 June 2010 "local elections": 204,246
28 July 2013 "general elections": 214,040
30 April 2015 "presidential elections": 218,609
7 January 2018 "general elections" before the suspension [of the lists]: 230,747.
The statement points out that the population increased by 68,265 persons since 1998.
Finally, Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (20.11.17) underlines the fact that the biggest increase was observed during the past three years.
 Turkish columnist: "Anatolia cannot sleep quietly as long as Cyprus' northern coasts are not in Turkey's hands"Under the title "Anatolia is fully depended on the TRNC", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (20.11.17) reports that in an article on the occasion of the 34th anniversary of the unilateral declaration of independence (UDI), columnist Cem Gurdeniz in Turkish Aydinlik newspaper alleged that the fact alone that a second "Turkish independent state" in Eastern Mediterranean completed the 34th year of its existence constitutes a success.
He alleged, inter alia, the following: "Turkey's security, defense, prosperity and happiness are nested in the seas by which it is surrounded. (…) As long as Cyprus' northern coasts are not in Turkey's hands, Anatolia cannot sleep quietly.
Claiming that the occupied northern part of Cyprus is the basis of Turkey's policy in Eastern Mediterranean, Gurdeniz alleged: "Whoever speaks of a negotiating process again or of a federal solution, you should know that he puts in danger not only the future of the TRNC, but Anatolia's future as well. It should not be forgotten that the TRNC is not a daughter land. It is the motherland itself".
 "Figures by the TRNC's central bank on the uncollectible receivables"Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (20.11.17) under the front-page title: "850 million TL loans are impossible to be paid", reports that according to "figures" provided by the "TRNC's central bank", a remarkable increase was observed at the "uncollectible debt payments" in the occupied area of Cyprus in 2017 compared to the previous year.
According to the paper, due to the economic crisis, the Turkish Cypriot "citizens" were not being able to pay their instalments for their bank debts.
According to the "TRNC's central bank figures" the uncollectible overdue receivables until the end of the third quarter of 2017 were increased by 8.26% comparing with the same period of 2016.
The "uncollectible overdue receivables" in September 2016 were 785,2 million TL while in September 2017 were 850 million TL, showing an increase of 64 million 873 TL in a 12-months period.
 Erdogan said that Turkey realized who can trust after the Turkish invasion to Cyprus in 1974Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi (19.11.17) reported that Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan stated that Turkey realized who their real friends are after the Turkish invasion to Cyprus in 1974.
He made these statements speaking during a meeting of his party at Rize province in Turkey.
Referring to the reactions Turkeys faced after buying the S-400 missiles Erdogan said that those who react now on the issue are those who reacted after the Turkish invasion to Cyprus and "during Turkey's 30-year fight against terrorism". "We saw how much we can trust them after the crisis in Syria and Iraq as well" Erdogan stated adding that nobody reacted when countries like Greece, Slovakia and Bulgaria bought similar missiles. "Turkey will not ask for anybody's permission to buy missiles", Erdogan stated.
 Erdogan and other Turkish politicians strongly condemned NATO for the incident in Norway; Erdogan: "Turkey, not just me, being targeted"Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (19.11.17) reported that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on November 19 that the recent scandal during a NATO drill in Norway was an attack targeting "Turkey and the Turkish nation".
Turkey withdrew from the Trident Javelin exercise at "The Joint Warfare Centre" after a civilian Norwegian official depicted Erdogan as an "enemy collaborator" during a bloc exercise. A portrait of the Republic of Turkey's founder, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, was also shown on a "hostile leader list" during a computer-assisted exercise.
"They [NATO] carried out a scandal. They know that they cannot stop our country, which is why they are putting us on a target board. I hope that those who welcomed attacks against us before now understand the real face of the matter, as Ataturk was also included," Erdogan told a ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) provincial congress in the eastern province of Bayburt.
"The issue is not a personal or party issue. The target is Turkey and the Turkish nation," he claimed, adding that the country was "ready for further major tests in the future."
"Today there is a Turkey that cannot be compared with 15 years ago in every field - from the economy to the defense industry and from trade to diplomacy. There is now a Turkey that produces its own weapons and tanks. There is a country which is maintaining its fight against terror with its own unmanned aerial vehicles. There is a Turkey that is now preparing to produce its own indigenous car," Erdogan said.
His remarks came after NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg once again apologized to him over the incident on the phone late on November 18.
In the phone call, Stoltenberg informed Erdogan that an inquiry had been initiated by the commanding officer and the contracted Norwegian technician involved in the incident was terminated immediately, according to a presidential source.
The NATO chief also stressed that Turkey is an important ally for NATO and that he would take all necessary precautions to avoid a repeat of such an incident, hoping the scandal would not adversely affect relations between NATO and Turkey, the source said.
Stoltenberg and Norwegian Defense Minister Frank Bakke-Jensen both issued swift apologies to Turkey over the incident on November 17.
Meanwhile, commenting on the incident, the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu said that his party cannot accept the "insult" against Turkey's history and today's Turkey. "It is not a topic that can be avoided with an ordinary 'we apologize' thing," K?l?cdaroglu said at an event in Ankara on November 18.
"Nobody can insult Turkey's [current] executives or its history. We strongly condemn this," he added.
Also, the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahceli on November18 also blasted the incident in Norway as "a disgrace that cannot be fixed or compensated." "Apology! What apology! Opening a debate or blaming the first president of the Republic of Turkey as well as the current president with psychological warfare tactics is evidence of open enmity," Bahceli said in his Twitter account.
"It is necessary for Turkey to question NATO. What does NATO want from Turkey? What is it waiting for? What does it want to achieve?" Bahceli said.
Turkey has now reached a point of "all or nothing" with the alliance, he added.
"We were here back when there was no NATO. If we cannot stay in this structure it would not be the end of the world," Bahceli
Turkey has the second-largest army in the alliance and borders with Syria, Iraq and Iran.
The Joint Warfare Centre is a multinational NATO unit based in Stavanger, 300 kilometers (186 miles) southwest of Oslo. It is currently led by Maj. Gen. Andrzej Reudowicz of Poland. According to its website, it has a staff of 250 made up of civilians from 11 NATO member states, including Turkey.
In March, the Norwegian government angered Ankara by granting political asylum to five Turkish officers based in Norway who had refused to return home after the failed July 2016 coup attempt.
 Cavusoglu discussed with Lavrov and Zarif the situation in SyriaTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (20.11.17) reports that Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has stated that the situation in Syria is much better compared to last year thanks to the Astana process, stressing at the same time that a "political solution" is needed for sustainability.
"The Astana process has yielded positive results in Syria with regard to declaring the ceasefire, establishing de-escalation zones and decreasing tension in the war-torn country. The situation on the ground is far better compared to last year," Cavusoglu told reporters on November 19 after a meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif in Antalya.
"We now have to concentrate on a political process, while continuing to target terrorist organizations like DAESH," he said, using an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
The meeting in Antalya came in the run-up to the November 22 trilateral summit between the Russian, Iranian and Turkish leaders in the Russian Black Sea resort city of Sochi. The meeting in Sochi will be the first such summit between the three countries as they cooperate with increasing intensity on ending the more than the six-year civil war in Syria.
Moscow, Tehran, and Ankara are sponsoring the so-called Astana peace talks, named after the Kazakh capital where they are regularly held, which calls for the creation of "de-escalation" zones in key areas of Syria.
Meanwhile, Cavusoglu stressed that the issue of the Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) and the Democratic Union Party (PYD) is a "primary sensitivity" of Turkey.
Turkey rejects the participation of the YPG and the PYD in "any meeting" that seeks a solution in Syria, including the Astana and Geneva processes, he said, adding that both Russia and Iran are aware of this.
 Ankara downplays EU budget cut for TurkeyTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (18.11.17) reported that the Turkish government has sought to downplay European Union funding cuts for Turkey over doubts about Ankara's commitment to democracy and human rights.
On November 17, MEPs and member states agreed to reduce "pre-ascension funds" by 105 million euros ($124 million), while freezing an additional 70 million euros of previously announced spending.
Deputy Prime Minister Mehmet Simsek said the 105 million-euro cut is "nothing" economically for Turkey, which uses 178 billion euros in external financing on an annual basis.
"What would any EU country do differently if it faced such a big terror threat and vicious coup attempt from Turkey?" Simsek tweeted on November 18 following the EU announcement.
In a statement, EU lawmakers said "they consider the deteriorating situation in relation to democracy, rule of law and human rights worrying."
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION
(AK / AM)
Copyright (C) 2017 Press and Information Office, All rights reserved.