|Saturday, 14 December 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 17-11-21
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW
CONTENTSNo. 225/17 21.11.17
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Kucuk: There is no evidence that the occupation army transferred remains of Greek Cypriots killed in Assia village to occupied DikomoTurkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (21.11.17) reports that Gulden Plumer Kucuk, Turkish Cypriot member of the Committee on the Missing Persons, has stated that they were informed that during the period 1995-96, the remains of the Greek Cypriots killed in Assia village [during the 1974 Turkish invasion of the island] had been transferred to the dumping ground in occupied Dikomo area, but the method to be followed on this issue will be decided after a scientific study.
Asked by illegal TAK agency to comment on information published in the Greek Cypriot press that the above-mentioned remains had been moved by the Turkish occupation army, Kucuk replied that no evidence was found regarding this issue.
She argued that moving remains of missing persons was not something new and that this happened also in the case of the remains of the missing persons from Tohni village. Noting that finding the remains of all the missing persons in Tohni was not possible, Kucuk said that in occupied Assia they found the remains of 70 persons in two wells and that the identification process is carried out within this framework, but it was not possible for all the remains to be found.
"It was established that the burial place in Assia village had been moved in the years 1995-96. We possess the information that the place the remains had been moved to is the Dikomo dumping ground", she noted.
 Information as regards the opening of hotels in the occupied fenced off city of Varosha is denied, but a marina will be builtTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (20.11.17, http://www.kibrisgazetesi.com/kibris/marasla-ilgili-herhangi-bir-tasarrufumuz-yok/31210) reported that Ismet Esenyel, self-styled undersecretary of the "ministry" of tourism, denied information which said that in 2018 the occupation regime would open hotels in the occupied fenced off city of Varosha in order for being used in the field of tourism. It is noted that in an article on 19 November in Kibris newspaper, professor Mehmet Hasguler had argued that the regime intended to open at least half of the hotels in the occupied fenced off city of Varosha for tourism and that the decision on the issue had been taken during a meeting with the participation of a delegation from Turkey. Hasguler noted that the only deficiency was the insufficient number of personnel.
The paper reports also that with a decision of the "council of ministers" published in the "official gazette" No 189 on 13 November, an area in Varosha, which had been allotted to the Turkish occupation army, will no further be considered a military zone and will be given to the so-called ministry of tourism and environment. The self-styled land office and the "map office" have been "authorized" to determine the borders of the military zone according to a decision taken on 18 September 2017. Moreover, instructions have been given for the necessary works to be carried out under the supervision of the Turkish occupation army and the army unit which is responsible for the area.
Responding to a question on the issue, Esenyel said that the above-mentioned area is a fishing shelter in the west of the peninsula in which the so-called "residence of the commander" is located and that the shelter will be turned into a marina through international tenders and will be used for tourist purposes.
 Illegal GAU participated in a "Bio-economy project" in PolandTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (21.11.17) reports that Asim Vehbi, the chairman of the executive committee of the illegal Keryneia American University (GAU) participated in a "Bio-economy project", which was organized in Lodz, Poland, by the EU, "representing GAU and the TRNC".
Vehbi held contacts with officials from the Lodz university during his stay in Poland, the paper writes.
 Ismail Kahraman re-elected as Turkey's Parliament SpeakerTurkish daily Yeni Safak newspaper (21.11.17) reports that the Turkish Parliament re-elected the ruling Justice and Development Party's (AKP) candidate, Ismail Kahraman, as its speaker of the Assembly on November 20.
Current Parliament Speaker Kahraman, whose two-year term started in November 2015 and will end on November 22 this year, was re-elected with 289 votes in the third round of secret ballots at Parliament.
"We should not hurt each other with small calculations and wrong thoughts. We should not be aggressive, we should be a person who solves problems with negotiation and talking," Kahraman said in his first speech as parliamentary Speaker for the second term of 26th Grand National Assembly on Nov. 20.
"For the construction of a society without fights and conflicts, our lawmakers should set an example and they should conduct their duties in harmony with the law and regulations," he added.
The Parliament voted in three rounds to elect Kahraman because in the first two rounds of the voting at least 367 votes are needed for election. In the third round a simple majority of 276 votes are sufficient.
Kahraman received 260 and 257 votes in the first two rounds of the voting and was elected in the third round.
With 317 seats in Parliament, AKP put forward two candidates in the Speaker's race. Its second candidate, Tamer Dagli, received 38 votes in the first round and 37 votes in the second round, before dropping out in the third round.
Kahraman's opponent from the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) was former Finance Minister Zekeriya Temizel.
The CHP has 131 seats in Parliament and Temizel received 113 votes in the first round of voting, 122 in the second round, and 124 in the third round.
The Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) has 36 seats at parliament and its candidate Celal Adan received 40 votes in first two rounds and 36 in the third round.
The Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) nominated jailed MP Selma Irmak as a symbolic act and she received 39 votes in the first round of voting, 38 votes in the second round and 37 votes in the third round.
Having 54 seats in parliament, the HDP currently has eight lawmakers in jail over terrorism charges, while five of its previous Deputies were stripped of their MP status after being convicted.
Reporting on the same issue, Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (21.11.17) reports that according to the official site of the Grand Turkish Assembly, the New Party (IYI) of Meral Aksener has 5 Deputies at the Parliament, since after the establishment of the party, a few days ago, 5 independent Deputies joined its ranks.
 LGBT rights groups to launch legal process after banning of events in AnkaraTurkish Hurriyet Daily News (21.11.17) reports that LGBT rights organizations said on November 19 that they would launch a legal process against the Ankara Governor's Office's decision to ban all LGBT events in the Turkish capital.
The statement came after the Governor's Office ordered a ban on the public showing of all films, exhibitions and events related to LGBT issues, citing "public sensitivities."
"Starting from November 18, 2017, considering public sensitivities, any events such as LGBT ... cinema, theatre performances, panels, interviews and exhibitions are banned until further notice in our province, in order to provide peace and security," it stated on Nov. 19.
Two LGBT rights organizations, Pink Life and Kaos GL, issued a joint declaration after the ruling, saying the ban was "against the law, discriminatory and arbitrary."
"With this decision, as well as the justifications for it that are contrary to the law, fundamental rights and freedoms such as the freedom of expression and organization were violated. With this decision, fundamental rights were violated through discriminatory motives," said in the statement. The authorities in Ankara had banned an LGBT film festival supported by the German Embassy on Nov. 15, the day before it was due to start, citing "public safety and terrorism risks.
Copyright (C) 2017 Press and Information Office, All rights reserved.